Bug 112871 - Automatically autocorrect words with/without accents using spellchecker suggestions
Summary: Automatically autocorrect words with/without accents using spellchecker sugge...
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
Inherited From OOo
Hardware: All All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: AutoCorrect-Complete
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-10-04 11:13 UTC by Marco A.G.Pinto
Modified: 2017-11-03 11:31 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Marco A.G.Pinto 2017-10-04 11:13:43 UTC
Hello!

I have been working for hours on the Portuguese autocorrect.

I noticed that MS Office 2016 has a setting that allows to use words from the spellers, thus the short list of autocorrects in it.

I was wondering if such an option could be done in LO 6.

For example, if a word appears as a typo, LO would search if there is a correspondent word in the spellers with/without the accents.

For example, in Word 2016 I typed (Portuguese):
"espôsos" and it automatically replaced with "esposos".
I went to the autocorrect list and the word wasn't there, which means it was taken from the speller.
Comment 1 tommy27 2017-11-03 04:45:18 UTC
I think autocorrection should not edit text automatically unless a precise replacement entry is present in the autocorrect list.

so I don't think it would be a good idea to automatically accept a replacement just if you find it in the speller suggestion list with no user interaction.

actually if you find a typo and right-click on it you see a list of suggested autocorrection and you may accept them manually and even record that replacemento to be automatically applied next time you digit it.

so I don't fully understand your request.
would you please try to explain it again?
Comment 2 Marco A.G.Pinto 2017-11-03 05:36:57 UTC
(In reply to tommy27 from comment #1)
> I think autocorrection should not edit text automatically unless a precise
> replacement entry is present in the autocorrect list.
> 
> so I don't think it would be a good idea to automatically accept a
> replacement just if you find it in the speller suggestion list with no user
> interaction.
> 
> actually if you find a typo and right-click on it you see a list of
> suggested autocorrection and you may accept them manually and even record
> that replacemento to be automatically applied next time you digit it.
> 
> so I don't fully understand your request.
> would you please try to explain it again?

Let me give you an example in Portuguese to be easier to understand.

Imagine that you type in Writer a word that is not in the speller:
"serio"

In a normal situation the speller will red underline it, but in the speller there was the word:
"sério"
(with accent in the "é")
So, the autocorrect would replace "serio" with "sério" automatically.

This is how MS Word 2016 is now doing it. It has a checkbox to use words from the speller and thus has a very small autocorrect list.

If it is just a mismatch of accents, in Word 2016 the correction is automatic.
Comment 3 tommy27 2017-11-03 09:40:01 UTC
Ok I understand what you asked for.
anyway I'd prefer to use the current autocorrect replacement list where I have full control of what should be autocorrected and what not.

letting the software guess which is the correct replacemente based only on the words already contained in the spellchecker is not my top choice.

maybe an option could be added fo r the users who like it.

so ENHANCEMENT REQUEST -> status NEW
Comment 4 tommy27 2017-11-03 10:33:27 UTC
edited summary words.

anyway I'm curious to know a thing...
how does Word MS Office 2016 deal with autocorrection when there's more than 1 suggestion?

your "serio" -> "sério" automatic replacement should work since there's probably just a single suggestion in the spellchecker

but what about "chekker" that comes in my LibO with 3 suggestions:
"checker", "Cherokee", "chiller"
Comment 5 Marco A.G.Pinto 2017-11-03 10:46:29 UTC
(In reply to tommy27 from comment #4)
> edited summary words.
> 
> anyway I'm curious to know a thing...
> how does Word MS Office 2016 deal with autocorrection when there's more than
> 1 suggestion?
> 
> your "serio" -> "sério" automatic replacement should work since there's
> probably just a single suggestion in the spellchecker
> 
> but what about "chekker" that comes in my LibO with 3 suggestions:
> "checker", "Cherokee", "chiller"

Well, the words must have the same length with just a difference of accents or one character.

Just by implementing the accents check it could add 1000s of autocorrects, at least in languages that use them, like Portuguese, French, Spanish, etc.
Comment 6 tommy27 2017-11-03 11:21:09 UTC
yes, this makes sense expecially for languages with lot of accents.

does this option has a specific name in MS Office 2016?

I add your request to this metabug:
Bug 103341 (Auto-Correct-Complete) - [META] Auto Correct and Completion bugs and enhancements
Comment 7 Marco A.G.Pinto 2017-11-03 11:31:32 UTC
(In reply to tommy27 from comment #6)
> yes, this makes sense expecially for languages with lot of accents.
> 
> does this option has a specific name in MS Office 2016?
> 
> I add your request to this metabug:
> Bug 103341 (Auto-Correct-Complete) - [META] Auto Correct and Completion bugs
> and enhancements

MS Word 2016 has a checkbox in the autocorrect window that says something like:
x Use suggestions from spellchecker