Download it now!
Bug 113129 - Store rotation anchor per object
Summary: Store rotation anchor per object
Status: RESOLVED WONTFIX
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Draw (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
5.4.2.2 release
Hardware: All All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: Object
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-10-15 07:47 UTC by Ljiljan
Modified: 2017-11-14 18:57 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
explanation of the problem (32.79 KB, application/pdf)
2017-11-10 22:59 UTC, Ljiljan
Details
explanation of the problem (video) (3.10 MB, video/mp4)
2017-11-12 06:42 UTC, Ljiljan
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Ljiljan 2017-10-15 07:47:53 UTC
rotate center of the previous object is kept when switching from one object to another

Steps to reproduce:
1. Draw two or more objects on slide in Impress
2. Select Rotate tool from toolbar or Formate -> Rotate
3. Click on the first object and rotate it anyhow you want
4. Click on the second object (don't miss it, otherwise repeat from step 3) and try to rotate the second object

Expected result:

rotate center is changed to the center of the new object

Actual results:

rotate center is kept from the previous object.
Comment 1 Buovjaga 2017-11-07 12:44:37 UTC
Ljiljan: what do you propose as the new workflow for using another object as rotation center, then?

Or just drop it and stick with "drag the pivot point away from the center of selected object"?
Comment 2 Heiko Tietze 2017-11-10 15:49:06 UTC
Without knowing the use case for this request I'd say WFM. Hard to imagine why every object should be rotated around the same, "sticky" anchor.
Comment 3 Ljiljan 2017-11-10 16:26:21 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #2)
> Without knowing the use case for this request I'd say WFM. Hard to imagine
> why every object should be rotated around the same, "sticky" anchor.

that is exactly the problem. Once you click on  Rotate tool and click on some object... that is "sticky" anchor... next object is rotated around previous "sticky anchor". 

Expected behaviour:
The object should be rotated around its own central anchor (as default) unless I change it. Not some "sticky" anchor, to borrow your terminology once more :-)
Comment 4 Buovjaga 2017-11-10 17:21:15 UTC
(In reply to Buovjaga from comment #1)
> Ljiljan: what do you propose as the new workflow for using another object as
> rotation center, then?
> 
> Or just drop it and stick with "drag the pivot point away from the center of
> selected object"?

Please answer, Ljiljan.
Comment 5 Ljiljan 2017-11-10 22:59:46 UTC
Created attachment 137675 [details]
explanation of the problem
Comment 6 Ljiljan 2017-11-10 23:02:20 UTC
(In reply to Buovjaga from comment #4)
> (In reply to Buovjaga from comment #1)
> > Ljiljan: what do you propose as the new workflow for using another object as
> > rotation center, then?
> > 
> > Or just drop it and stick with "drag the pivot point away from the center of
> > selected object"?
> 
> Please answer, Ljiljan.

I am not sure if the problem is explained well by me. 

The "rotation center" is always in the middle of selected object.However, when you work with one object (rotating it) and then click on another (while rotate tool is selected), the "rotation center" is kept from the first object. 

So, my suggestion is that "rotation center" should be in the middle of the selected object... however, user can move it if he/she wants it (that is possible now).
Comment 7 Heiko Tietze 2017-11-11 07:54:09 UTC
Now it makes sense, changed the summary a bit.
Comment 8 Buovjaga 2017-11-11 14:32:18 UTC
(In reply to Ljiljan from comment #6)
> So, my suggestion is that "rotation center" should be in the middle of the
> selected object... however, user can move it if he/she wants it (that is
> possible now).

Ok, so your proposal is to just drop the existing feature that allows us to use other objects as rotation centers and force us to manually drag the pivot point. Gotcha.
Comment 9 Buovjaga 2017-11-11 14:37:06 UTC
(In reply to Buovjaga from comment #8)
> (In reply to Ljiljan from comment #6)
> > So, my suggestion is that "rotation center" should be in the middle of the
> > selected object... however, user can move it if he/she wants it (that is
> > possible now).
> 
> Ok, so your proposal is to just drop the existing feature that allows us to
> use other objects as rotation centers and force us to manually drag the
> pivot point. Gotcha.

I hope you understand that you *are removing a workflow* here.
Rotation of multiple objects around a shared center is done automatically, if you *first* select all the objects.
So there is no bug, you are just running into the different workflow, when you select Rotate before selecting other objects.
Comment 10 Buovjaga 2017-11-11 14:50:09 UTC
Actually your
Expected result:

rotate center is changed to the center of the new object

Does not make any sense. Why should it jump to the center of the newly selected object?

I strongly suggest WONTFIX for this.
Comment 11 Ljiljan 2017-11-12 06:42:09 UTC
Created attachment 137686 [details]
explanation of the problem (video)

I am talking as a real user of LibreOffice Impress (I prepare presentations for my lectures daily). It might be possible that I am using it wrong, so please educate me what is the right way to rotate objects.

In the attachment, I tried to demonstrate how this issue causes difficulties in using LibreOffice Impress. 

Anyway, as I am not a developer, but a user, if you think that it is not worthy to solve this, change it to WONTFIX. I am just trying to improve LibreOffice by demonstrating what causes troubles when ACTUALLY using it.
Comment 12 Buovjaga 2017-11-12 16:15:09 UTC
(In reply to Ljiljan from comment #11)
> Created attachment 137686 [details]
> explanation of the problem (video)
> 
> I am talking as a real user of LibreOffice Impress (I prepare presentations
> for my lectures daily). It might be possible that I am using it wrong, so
> please educate me what is the right way to rotate objects.
> 
> In the attachment, I tried to demonstrate how this issue causes difficulties
> in using LibreOffice Impress. 
> 
> Anyway, as I am not a developer, but a user, if you think that it is not
> worthy to solve this, change it to WONTFIX. I am just trying to improve
> LibreOffice by demonstrating what causes troubles when ACTUALLY using it.

I just want you to provide an alternative workflow for the one you want to remove. Can you please describe it?
Comment 13 Ljiljan 2017-11-13 19:51:56 UTC
(In reply to Buovjaga from comment #12)
> (In reply to Ljiljan from comment #11)
> > Created attachment 137686 [details]
> > explanation of the problem (video)
> > 
> > I am talking as a real user of LibreOffice Impress (I prepare presentations
> > for my lectures daily). It might be possible that I am using it wrong, so
> > please educate me what is the right way to rotate objects.
> > 
> > In the attachment, I tried to demonstrate how this issue causes difficulties
> > in using LibreOffice Impress. 
> > 
> > Anyway, as I am not a developer, but a user, if you think that it is not
> > worthy to solve this, change it to WONTFIX. I am just trying to improve
> > LibreOffice by demonstrating what causes troubles when ACTUALLY using it.
> 
> I just want you to provide an alternative workflow for the one you want to
> remove. Can you please describe it?

I am not entirely sure I understand what you are asking me... or maybe, my bug report was not understood well again. 

Anyway, I am not suggesting to remove anything, just to fix the bug. So, when you click on a new object, the "rotate center" is in the middle, unless you moved it somewhere else... if you click on the group of objects, rotate center should be in the middle of this group. Again, you can move the "rotate center" wherever you want. A new location should be stored (if possible).  

The problem appears that sometimes, the default position of rotate center is somewhere else, not in the middle of the object.
Comment 14 Buovjaga 2017-11-13 19:58:34 UTC
Now we have the workflow to pivot an object based on another object by clicking the objects in sequence when the rotation tool is active.

You are proposing to remove this feature.

What do you propose as the new workflow that will replace this old workflow?
Comment 15 Buovjaga 2017-11-13 19:59:13 UTC
(In reply to Buovjaga from comment #14)
> Now we have the workflow to pivot an object based on another object by
> clicking the objects in sequence when the rotation tool is active.
> 
> You are proposing to remove this feature.
> 
> What do you propose as the new workflow that will replace this old workflow?

And "you can move the "rotate center" wherever you want." is not enough of an answer.
Comment 16 Buovjaga 2017-11-13 20:07:14 UTC
Maybe I have to explain it in one more way:
When you select the Rotate tool, you enter a tool context. The feature to use another object as the pivot center is in this context.

Now, you could implement some other functionality in the Rotate tool context to achieve this shifting of the pivot. I certainly know many such workflows have been invented in the 3D graphics world. The question is just how to express it in the LibreOffice interface.
Comment 17 Ljiljan 2017-11-13 20:12:36 UTC
(In reply to Buovjaga from comment #14)
> Now we have the workflow to pivot an object based on another object by
> clicking the objects in sequence when the rotation tool is active.
> 
> You are proposing to remove this feature.
> 
> What do you propose as the new workflow that will replace this old workflow?

Oh... I didn't know that this is expected workflow. Can't find an example of how this could be useful to someone, but I guess it is. Talking from my experience, because of this I usually have extra clicks. 

Microsoft Office 2007 has green circle above object, and if you decide to rotate objects, no such workflow. Similar to WPS office and SoftOffice Maker. Object is always rotated around its own center with significantly less number of clicking. 

However, if we want to keep both features maybe we can introduce two toolbar items: "Rotate object" and "Rotate around fixed center"
Comment 18 Buovjaga 2017-11-13 20:29:47 UTC
(In reply to Ljiljan from comment #17)
> Oh... I didn't know that this is expected workflow. Can't find an example of
> how this could be useful to someone, but I guess it is. Talking from my
> experience, because of this I usually have extra clicks. 
> 
> Microsoft Office 2007 has green circle above object, and if you decide to
> rotate objects, no such workflow. Similar to WPS office and SoftOffice
> Maker. Object is always rotated around its own center with significantly
> less number of clicking. 
> 
> However, if we want to keep both features maybe we can introduce two toolbar
> items: "Rotate object" and "Rotate around fixed center"

Regarding number of clicks, you can rotate an object without activating the Rotate tool by clicking on it again after selecting it. Ie. you alternate between the resizing handles and rotation handles by a single click. So it's one extra click compared to your proposal.

I'm not saying your proposal is bad: it is probably the more common use case to want to jump from object to object (and my comment 10 was a mistake in this regard). I just think some people might be relying on this feature and would start complaining, if we did not offer some convenient replacement.
Comment 19 Ljiljan 2017-11-13 20:39:46 UTC
> 
> Regarding number of clicks, you can rotate an object without activating the
> Rotate tool by clicking on it again after selecting it. Ie. you alternate
> between the resizing handles and rotation handles by a single click. So it's
> one extra click compared to your proposal.

Actually, this feature is not implemented in LibreOffice Impress, but in LibreOffice Draw. You have to use Rotate toolbar item. Maybe we can focus on this issue? 

> I'm not saying your proposal is bad: it is probably the more common use case
> to want to jump from object to object (and my comment 10 was a mistake in
> this regard). I just think some people might be relying on this feature and
> would start complaining if we did not offer some convenient replacement.

The feature might be useful. I tried to rotate some objects around circle... it was nice to see how other objects are rotated around it... at the moment, I don't have a suggestion how to implement new feature and to keep the old one... I'll think about it :-)
Comment 20 Buovjaga 2017-11-13 20:46:41 UTC
(In reply to Ljiljan from comment #19)
> > 
> > Regarding number of clicks, you can rotate an object without activating the
> > Rotate tool by clicking on it again after selecting it. Ie. you alternate
> > between the resizing handles and rotation handles by a single click. So it's
> > one extra click compared to your proposal.
> 
> Actually, this feature is not implemented in LibreOffice Impress, but in
> LibreOffice Draw. You have to use Rotate toolbar item. Maybe we can focus on
> this issue? 

It works for me in Impress just like in Draw. Impress & Draw share a lot of their code in general.
Comment 21 Regina Henschel 2017-11-14 16:48:44 UTC
The feature, that using the rotate icon (=.uno:ToggleObjectRotateMode) allows to rotate objects one-by-one around the same rotation center, exists at least since OOo1.1.5. Without real necessity I would not change the behavior.

If you are concerned about the clicks, try this work-flow: Click object, then click rotation-wheel in the sidebar. Click next object, again click rotation-wheel, and so on. Each time the rotation is around center of the current object.
Comment 22 Ljiljan 2017-11-14 18:44:55 UTC
> It works for me in Impress just like in Draw. Impress & Draw share a lot of
> their code in general.

It is interesting that I use the same LibreOffice version at home and work... but clicking on the object at home will not switch to rotate mode, while at work it will :-) I will try to figure out why...
Comment 23 Ljiljan 2017-11-14 18:47:00 UTC
(In reply to Regina Henschel from comment #21)
> The feature, that using the rotate icon (=.uno:ToggleObjectRotateMode)
> allows to rotate objects one-by-one around the same rotation center, exists
> at least since OOo1.1.5. Without real necessity I would not change the
> behavior.
> 
> If you are concerned about the clicks, try this work-flow: Click object,
> then click rotation-wheel in the sidebar. Click next object, again click
> rotation-wheel, and so on. Each time the rotation is around center of the
> current object.

rotation-wheel is a good solution to my problem. thank you! I will try to modify my behavior.
Comment 24 Ljiljan 2017-11-14 18:53:48 UTC
However, now I noticed that if you select the object... afterwards rotate tool from toolbar... and then move the object (do not rotate it), the "rotate center" is not moved with the object. Should this be reported as a bug?
Comment 25 Buovjaga 2017-11-14 18:57:09 UTC
(In reply to Ljiljan from comment #24)
> However, now I noticed that if you select the object... afterwards rotate
> tool from toolbar... and then move the object (do not rotate it), the
> "rotate center" is not moved with the object. Should this be reported as a
> bug?

I don't know, looks like another feature :D