Download it now!
Bug 113792 - AutoCorrect is not triggered when navigating text with arrow keys
Summary: AutoCorrect is not triggered when navigating text with arrow keys
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Linguistic (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
Inherited From OOo
Hardware: All All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: AutoCorrect-Complete
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-11-12 19:25 UTC by Yetoo Happy
Modified: 2017-11-18 18:57 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Yetoo Happy 2017-11-12 19:25:15 UTC
Description:
When misspelling a word, pressing enter, space, or typing on an already created line initiates the AutoCorrect, but when navigating with the cursor via cursor navigation controls AutoCorrect doesn't do anything. It would be helpful if the cursor navigation controls could initiate the AutoCorrect as there are more key presses and/or clicks/hand movement to get to the misspelled word to open up the context menu or to correct it because to even view the misspelled word an enter, space, or typing on an already created line is required.

An example where the lack of this feature becomes irritating is if there are three newlines created and text is typed on on the first line. A misspelled word is typed on the second line but one wants to navigate to the third line. When they navigate below to the last line they begin typing but find that their word on the line above is incorrect and they have to use the cursor navigation controls to get back to the word and correct it.

While it is true that the user could use the up arrow or any other control to move back to that line, the fact that the AutoCorrect isn't telling the user what is wrong when the user does a subsequent cursor control action is a bit misleading.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Enable AutoCorrect.
2. Misspell a word with new line space above or below it.
3. Move the cursor around.
 

Actual Results:  
The misspelled word is not underlined red.


Expected Results:
the misspelled word should be underlined with red.


Reproducible: Always


User Profile Reset: No



Additional Info:


User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Linux x86_64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
Comment 1 tommy27 2017-11-13 15:55:02 UTC
please tell which O/S you use and which LibO version you run.
Comment 2 Yetoo Happy 2017-11-13 15:59:39 UTC
I'm on Fedora 26 and using LibreOffice 5.3.7.2.0+, but has this feature been added in a future update?
Comment 3 tommy27 2017-11-13 18:26:43 UTC
sorry but I don't exactly understand what your bug report means.
what are the "cursor navigation controls" you are talking about?

would you please post a screenshot or upload a test file and give step-by-step instructions to reproduce the issue?
Comment 4 Yetoo Happy 2017-11-13 19:21:03 UTC
(In reply to tommy27 from comment #3)
> sorry but I don't exactly understand what your bug report means.
> what are the "cursor navigation controls" you are talking about?
> 
> would you please post a screenshot or upload a test file and give
> step-by-step instructions to reproduce the issue?

By cursor navigation controls I mean arrow keys and mouse button clicks to place in the text field. I'm sorry that I didn't make it more clear, but this is supposed to be a feature request.
Comment 5 tommy27 2017-11-14 06:34:38 UTC
ok, but I still don't actually understand the scenario you are describing...
please upload screenshots showing the sequence where autocorrect fails.
Comment 6 Buovjaga 2017-11-15 15:06:50 UTC
(In reply to tommy27 from comment #5)
> ok, but I still don't actually understand the scenario you are describing...
> please upload screenshots showing the sequence where autocorrect fails.

Set to NEEDINFO.
Change back to UNCONFIRMED after you have provided the screenshots.
Comment 7 tommy27 2017-11-18 18:18:54 UTC
I think I've figured out what Yetoo was reporting.

It refers to the situation you load a text in LibO Writer and it already has spelling errors... if some of those errors are already present in your autocorrect replacement table in order to apply the substitution you have to reach the end of that word and then press the "space" key to trigger autocorrect.

instead if you just navigate trough text with arrow keys it won't trigger autocorrect...

so the user asks that the "arrow keys" should be an autocorrect trigger as well.

I don't know if it's technically feasible but the status is now NEW.
Comment 8 Yetoo Happy 2017-11-18 18:57:18 UTC
(In reply to tommy27 from comment #7)
> I think I've figured out what Yetoo was reporting.
> 
> It refers to the situation you load a text in LibO Writer and it already has
> spelling errors... if some of those errors are already present in your
> autocorrect replacement table in order to apply the substitution you have to
> reach the end of that word and then press the "space" key to trigger
> autocorrect.
> 
> instead if you just navigate trough text with arrow keys it won't trigger
> autocorrect...
> 
> so the user asks that the "arrow keys" should be an autocorrect trigger as
> well.

This exactly.

> I don't know if it's technically feasible but the status is now NEW.

I mean if that's not technically feasible then would it hurt adding another checkbox in the AutoCorrect settings to enable real time checking? So after every character the check is initiated? How much would that hurt performance?