Created attachment 138539 [details]
Without AC, with incorrect AC, with "corrected" AC
When you apply autocorrect replacement of simple quotes with "smart" quotes on Hebrew text (within two simple ASCII double-quote characters), what you get is that the first double-quote (i.e. the right double-quote, as Hebrew is written in RTL) gets replaced with a Hebrew closing-quote character, and the second double-quote (i.e. the left one) gets replaced with a Hebrew upper-opening-quote character. That's the wrong order:
Instead of this (added RLMs to the beginning and end of the line to get the direction right):
הבית של פיסטוק מלא “הפתעות”.
we should be getting this:
הבית של פיסטוק מלא ”הפתעות“.
if you can't see the difference, open the example.
Also, for good measure, if the paragraph's style was LTR, and you only manually set it to LTR, the autocorrect resets the direction to LTR. This is a different issue, but I'm mentioning it so that when you try to reproduce, you'll want to double-check the direction after the autocorrect has been applied. Finally, if autocorrect does not, well, autocorrect (which happens to me sometime), manually Apply it using the menus.
Same problem occurs with single-quotes, it seems.
Thank you for reporting the bug.
Could you please try to reproduce it with the latest version of LibreOffice
from https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/ ?
I have set the bug's status to 'NEEDINFO'. Please change it back to
'UNCONFIRMED' if the bug is still present in the latest version.
Right now I can't get LO 184.108.40.206b1 to apply any sort of autocorrection to Hebrew double-quotes.
(In reply to Eyal Rozenberg from comment #3)
> Right now I can't get LO 220.127.116.11b1 to apply any sort of autocorrection to
> Hebrew double-quotes.
What about LibreOffice 18.104.22.168 from https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/GetInvolved#Test_Pre-releases ?
So, I don't think this has changed betwen 6.1 and 6.2, and I am having difficulty reproducing, but I _do_ manage to reproduce if I add a punctuation mark before the opening quote.
So, new reproduction instructions:
1. Create a new writer document.
2. Enable Autocorrect-as-you-type, and specifically double-quote autocorrection.
3. Set the paragraph direction to RTL and the language to Hebrew.
4. Set your font to something large, and in which you can tell the difference between the various double-quote glyphs. Liberation Serif works nicely.
5. Type the phrase "הבית של פיסטוק." (without the quotes but with the period).
6. Type a double-quote.
7. Type "מלא הפתעות" (without the quotes)
8. Type a double quote.
1. The first (rightmost) quote is a Hebrew opening double-quote: ” ; it points leftwards and downwards.
2. The second (leftmost) quote is a Hebrew closing double-quote: “ ; it points rightwards and downwards.
The opposite, i.e. the first quote is a closing double quote, the second quote is opening.
Build ID: 98c6a8a1c6c7b144ce3cc729e34964b47ce25d62
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 4.9; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;
Locale: he-IL (en_IL); UI-Language: en-US
Created attachment 148929 [details]
Lines in the attached document:
Line 1: With problematic AC;
Line 2: Expected AC results;
Line 3: No AC - simple double quotes, identical on both sides
(In reply to Eyal Rozenberg from comment #5)
> So, I don't think this has changed betwen 6.1 and 6.2, and I am having
> difficulty reproducing, but I _do_ manage to reproduce if I add a
> punctuation mark before the opening quote.
is the punctuation mark problem the same as reported in bug 114637?
(In reply to Xisco Faulí from comment #7)
> is the punctuation mark problem the same as reported in bug 114637?
There's no problem with the punctuation mark itself, it just triggers a switching of the double quotation marks.
Dear Eyal Rozenberg,
To make sure we're focusing on the bugs that affect our users today, LibreOffice QA is asking bug reporters and confirmers to retest open, confirmed bugs which have not been touched for over a year.
There have been thousands of bug fixes and commits since anyone checked on this bug report. During that time, it's possible that the bug has been fixed, or the details of the problem have changed. We'd really appreciate your help in getting confirmation that the bug is still present.
If you have time, please do the following:
Test to see if the bug is still present with the latest version of LibreOffice from https://www.libreoffice.org/download/
If the bug is present, please leave a comment that includes the information from Help - About LibreOffice.
If the bug is NOT present, please set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED-WORKSFORME and leave a comment that includes the information from Help - About LibreOffice.
Please DO NOT
Update the version field
Reply via email (please reply directly on the bug tracker)
Set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED - FIXED (this status has a particular meaning that is not
appropriate in this case)
If you want to do more to help you can test to see if your issue is a REGRESSION. To do so:
1. Download and install oldest version of LibreOffice (usually 3.3 unless your bug pertains to a feature added after 3.3) from https://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/
2. Test your bug
3. Leave a comment with your results.
4a. If the bug was present with 3.3 - set version to 'inherited from OOo';
4b. If the bug was not present in 3.3 - add 'regression' to keyword
Feel free to come ask questions or to say hello in our QA chat: https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.freenode.net/#libreoffice-qa
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!
Bug still manifests with:
Build ID: d7547858d014d4cf69878db179d326fc3483e082
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.9; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: he-IL (en_IL); UI: en-US