Bug Hunting Session
Bug 115907 - Index entries are corrupted if the entry is followed by italic and/or superscripted text
Summary: Index entries are corrupted if the entry is followed by italic and/or supersc...
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: LibreOffice (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
5.4.0.0.beta2
Hardware: All Windows (All)
: medium minor
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: bibisectRequest, regression
Depends on:
Blocks: TableofContents-Indexes
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2018-02-21 11:58 UTC by Rick Sullivan
Modified: 2019-01-11 22:23 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
ODT file that shows mangled index entry after Update->All (16.94 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text)
2018-02-21 11:58 UTC, Rick Sullivan
Details
Example ODT file shows corrupted index entry (13.02 KB, application/octet-stream)
2019-01-11 22:23 UTC, jbriden
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Rick Sullivan 2018-02-21 11:58:46 UTC
Created attachment 140038 [details]
ODT file that shows mangled index entry after Update->All

The attached ODT document illustrates the bug.

If an alphabetical index entry is placed in the text, prior to some text that is superscripted and/or italicized, the index entry itself gets mangled in various ways (after Update->All). Then mangled entry is often partially italicized, partially superscripted, and sometimes has unreadable characters.

The following text shows the relative placement of the index entry, and the italicized text with superscripts.

1. [index entry here]John Doe [italic text with superscripts]

As explained in the attached ODT document, the problem did not exist in 5.3.7.2, but does appear in 5.4.4.2, and in the latest release 6.0.1.1.
Comment 1 Timur 2018-02-21 17:35:56 UTC
Looks as reported in master 61+ and started in 5.4.0. 
Prior versions also show italic on attachment fileopen but it's corrected after update index or Tools->Update->All and can be properly saved.
Comment 2 Xisco Faulí 2018-10-12 14:05:41 UTC
Seems to be win only.
I can't reproduce it in

Versió: 6.1.2.1
ID de la construcció: 1:6.1.2~rc1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
Fils de CPU: 4; SO: Linux 4.15; Renderitzador de la IU: per defecte; VCL: x11; 
Configuració local: ca-ES (ca_ES.UTF-8); Calc: group threaded

but I do in

Versión: 6.1.2.1
Id. de compilación: 65905a128db06ba48db947242809d14d3f9a93fe
Subprocs. CPU: 1; SO: Windows 6.1; Repres. IU: predet.; 
Configuración regional: es-ES (es_ES); Calc: group threaded
Comment 3 Xisco Faulí 2018-10-12 14:11:06 UTC
I can't reproduce it in

Version: 6.2.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: 425af6845ebe066c950b0b63f50563e067485f3e
CPU threads: 16; OS: Windows 6.3; UI render: default; VCL: win; 
Locale: en-GB (en_GB); Calc: threaded
Comment 4 Robert Martin 2018-11-03 21:32:50 UTC
In a large chronological journal document I prepared with V6.0.6.2, I found that when I started my text file entry with a superscripted date (as in "1st" or 2nd), the index entry for any indexed text that follows the superscripted number has superscripts part way along the entry in the index.

After some significant work, I removed the superscript from the numbers at the beginning of each line and voila, the problem disappeared. However, to be fair, I shouldn't have had to do that.
Comment 5 jbriden 2019-01-11 22:23:06 UTC
Created attachment 148246 [details]
Example ODT file shows corrupted index entry

I think this is the same bug. In my case the index entry is placed after some text that includes a superscript and subscript (for demonstration purposes).

The index entry ends up with the same superscript or subscript in the positions from the original text.

In the attached example,
* The superscript “1” is at position 5, and causes the “y” in “entry” to be a superscript.
* The subscript “2” is at position 8, and causes the “e” in “text” to be a subscript.