The fields in the Chart Wizard that require a range to be used can have text entered into them mistakenly by a user. When this happens the incorrect text is highlighted red and none of the buttons located at the bottom of the screen will work. This highlighting is not helpful enough for the user to correct this problem. What should happen instead is a dialog box should be displayed telling the user which field has incorrect data in it and what correct range data would look like.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Create a new spreadsheet.
2. Enter this example data:
name x y
red 1 2
red 2 3
red 4 5
red 5 5
red 5 6
red 7 8
3. Select all the cells that have numbers in them.
4. Click the chart button on the tool bar.
5. Under Chart Type (first screen) select "XY (Scatter)".
6. Push the "Next >>" button
7. In the Data Range screen push the "Next >>" button.
8. In the Data Series screen enter "red" in the "Range for Name" field.
The text in the "Range for Name" field is highlighted. None of the bottom buttons work except for Cancel.
A dialog box should appear telling the user that the "Range for Name" field is only for range data. An example range should be displayed.
User Profile Reset: No
Build ID: 48d50dbfc06349262c9d50868e5c1f630a573ebd
I fully agree with actionable hints. But a message box is clumsy and annoying; so better show a balloon tip or some static text underneath the control.