When creating Mail Merge data via query from a registered Base database, Mail Merge Wizard does not merge the result set into the document.
To create this situation, one must define a query on a Base database where the database is registered in the Libreoffice environment. Assuming that query exists, the following steps will demonstrate that Mail Merge does not populate a Writer document.
1. Open a template file (ott) or a new Writer document;
2. If the file is a template, skip to Step 4;
3. If a new document, create any constant information on the document. For example, if you are merging names into a document that has name tag labels, you may want some constant data to appear such as a logo or organization name on all name tags;
4. Go to Insert>Field>More Fields>'Mail merge fields' and in the right window, choose your query name and expand it. You will see the Field names assigned to the output of the query. Insert the first field that is to appear on the name tag;
5. Repeat Step 4 for as many fields as are to appear on the name tag;
6. Go to View>Toolbars> and click on Mail Merge to activate the Mail Merge toolbar;
7. On the Mail Merge toolbar, click on the icon that is titled 'Data Source of Current Document'. Two windows will open immediately below the Mail Merge toolbar;
8. In the left hand window, click on the query name that you want to populate the document;
9. The right window will now contain the query results. Click on the upper left box beside the field names row to select all rows;
10. At this point, one can go through the Mail Merge Wizard, but it does nothing. In fact you can go to Insert Address Block in the Mail Merge Wizard and choose the database to which the query belongs which doesn't change the outcome;
11. On the Mail Merge toolbar, click Saved Merged Documents. You will see a counter that corresponds to the rows you have in your query result;
12. Another document will appear containing your original constant information and merge fields, but nothing has been merged.
The process described above should work, but does not.
I left out a step between steps 5 and 6 that should say click Synchronize.
Does the problem appear with 6.2 as well? You can test quickly with an appimage: http://libreoffice.soluzioniopen.com/
Set to NEEDINFO.
Change back to UNCONFIRMED after you have provided the information.
Dear Cecil Carpenter,
This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least
6 months. Please provide the requested information as soon as
possible and mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug
tracker maintenance, if the bug is still in NEEDINFO status with
no change in 30 days the QA team will close the bug as INSUFFICIENTDATA
due to lack of needed information.
For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the
wiki located here:
If you have already provided the requested information, please
mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the
bug is ready to be confirmed.
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!
Dear Cecil Carpenter,
Please read this message in its entirety before proceeding.
Your bug report is being closed as INSUFFICIENTDATA due to inactivity and
a lack of information which is needed in order to accurately
reproduce and confirm the problem. We encourage you to retest
your bug against the latest release. If the issue is still
present in the latest stable release, we need the following
information (please ignore any that you've already provided):
a) Provide details of your system including your operating
system and the latest version of LibreOffice that you have
confirmed the bug to be present
b) Provide easy to reproduce steps – the simpler the better
c) Provide any test case(s) which will help us confirm the problem
d) Provide screenshots of the problem if you think it might help
e) Read all comments and provide any requested information
Once all of this is done, please set the bug back to UNCONFIRMED
and we will attempt to reproduce the issue. Please do not:
a) respond via email
b) update the version field in the bug or any of the other details
on the top section of our bug tracker