When switching from "normal view" to "notes view" the marking of the slide on the left pane disappears.
This behavior has been disturbing my for years now. Because this is a normal workflow for me to change some notes in my slides (needing the notes view for this) and then change some content of the slides (needing the normal view for this). And each time I need to figure out again on what slide I was before I can proceed with my work.
I know there is a workaround (search the tiny page number display on my slide even in the notes view) and then click onto the icon with this number at the left pane. But this is bad "usability". I would be happy if this (very small) feature could be improved in some future LibreOffice release.
Steps to Reproduce:
Here is how to reproduce it:
* In the "View" (german: "Ansicht") menu of Impress, turn on the option "view pane visible" (german: "Symbolleiste Ansicht")
* open a presentation document with several slides (not just one), I assume that it will be opened in "normal view" mode (where you can edit single slides)
* use the left side pane (where all slides are shown with a small icon) to jump to a differen slide, let's slide number 7. The icon of this slide 7 will then be marked (underlayed with a color) in this side pane.
* Now use the Icon "notes view" on the top, to switch to the "notes view" (where you can edit the notes of the slides)
* result: the marking of slide 7 on the left side pane is gone :(
Slide icon (on left pane) not marked any more
Slide icon (on left pane) marked as before in normal view
User Profile Reset: No
Slide icon (on left pane) should stay marked in the "notes view" as it has been before in "normal view"
Thank you for reporting the bug. I can confirm that the bug is present in
Build ID: 0c292870b25a325b5ed35f6b45599d2ea4458e77
CPU threads: 2; OS: Windows 6.1; UI render: default;
Locale: en-US (en_US); Calc: group
Build ID: c15927f20d4727c3b8de68497b6949e72f9e6e9e
but not in
Version 188.8.131.52.alpha0+ (Build ID: efca6f15609322f62a35619619a6d5fe5c9bd5a)
bisected with bibisect-43max - in the oldest version is slide marked, in the latest ("bad") version is marked first slide in the notes view. It's different then in 6.3, so I'm not sure if bibisect is correct ..
This seems to have begun at the below commit.
187d6c28fce4c615df7555c033907d211c279ec2 is the first bad commit
Author: Matthew Francis <email@example.com>
Date: Thu May 28 19:28:39 2015 +0800
Author: Andre Fischer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
AuthorDate: Fri Feb 21 11:55:33 2014 +0000
Commit: Caolán McNamara <email@example.com>
CommitDate: Fri Feb 21 15:30:24 2014 +0000
Related: #i123197# Fixed selection problems when switching...
between normal and master mode.
(cherry picked from commit 163d414311b0c8bcb1b0ad7c7cbf364e0ad4e4c4)
Caolan, can you look at this?
Still present in
Version: 184.108.40.206; Build ID: 747b5d0ebf89f41c860ec2a39efd7cb15b54f2d8
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 4.12; UI render: default; VCL: kf5;
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI-Language: en-US; Calc: threaded
See also: https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/242768/the-slide-indicator-is-not-showing-which-slide-i-am-in-when-i-switch-from-normal-view-to-notes-view-how-do-i-fix-this/