After the recent fixes applied to the Firefox personas loading (see bug #11881), there remain several usability issues that severely limit the personas/theming functionality.
Problems still present and user unfriendly:
1. themes download is slow.
2. themes preview very small (way too small). This forces to accept a theme just for viewing the result (see next point). Very user-unfriendly.
3. when one comes back from a tested theme to check for another, the user has to ask and download again (which is slow as stated above).
4. only 9 themes are displayed. There's no way to know if there are more and, if there are, no (obvious) way to download these ones.
5. copy/pasting a Firefox theme URL in the Term/URL textbox leads to an error (see attachment http://bugs.documentfoundation.org/attachment.cgi?id=147636)
ex : https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/libreoffice-4-light-ambiance/
It seems that LibO searches in the US Firefox website while the user obviously uses his Firefox national website (here: FR).
6. pasting only the Firefox theme name in the Term/URL textbox (as suggested by the label) leads to nothing: there's no feedback about what's going on (found? not found?)
Term searched: "libreoffice-4-light-ambiance" (without quotes)
7. Having adopted one of the proposed themes, the user can't adjust the font colour. No UI option for that (though the option is available in the internal settings).
User's friendly behaviour, possible changes:
1. Faster download.
2. Better (larger) preview area. A vertical preview "listbox" would do (à-la Application Colors list in the Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Application Colors).
3. Remember the latest downloaded themes list (session-wide).
4. Previewing using a "listbox" would not limit the themes number (see point 2.).
5. Search the actual Firefox site as input by the user.
6. Change the Term/URL textbox so that it actually does what it pretends, or change its label for clarity about the expected input.
7. Add a colorpicker in order to adjust the font color when selecting a given theme.
User Profile Reset: No
Version: 188.8.131.52 (x64)
Build ID: 86daf60bf00efa86ad547e59e09d6bb77c699acb
CPU threads: 1; OS: Windows 6.1; UI render: default;
Locale: fr-FR (fr_FR); Calc: group threaded
(under Windows 7 pro 64b)
UX-team, what do you think?
Hello Jean-Francois Nifenecker,
The persona feature has been reworked in LibreOffice 6.2.
You can download the RC1 from https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/GetInvolved#Test_Pre-releases
Closing this one as RESOLVED WONTFIX