If margins and header settings are changed without closing and reopening the Page Style dialog, it is possible to enter too high of a header height value in the Page Style dialog that the program appears to accept.
Actually, the program stores lower header height value.
Steps to Reproduce:
Using centimeters as the measurment unit here, but reproduces with other measurement units as well
1. Open new document
2. Right click on the document and select Page...
3. On the Page margins section, increase the top and bottom margin (default should be 2cm so increasing them to 3cm works)
4. Click apply (note that the margins are increased in the background)
5. Select the header tab
6. Enable the header and set the header height to 23.26cm (note that the field accepts this value)
7. Click OK to store the value and close the dialog
8. Right click on the document and select Page...
9. Compare the stored header value to the value that was entered
Header height value is now shown as 18.46cm and does not match the original input.
Header height value is stored as it was originally entered (and already restricted when originally entering it)
User Profile Reset: Yes
OpenGL enabled: Yes
Version: 18.104.22.168 (x64)
Build ID: 2412653d852ce75f65fbfa83fb7e7b669a126d64
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0; UI render: GL; VCL: win;
Locale: en-GB (en_GB); UI-Language: en-GB
I confirm the behaviour, but perhaps it is the desired behaviour.
Maximum header is 23,26 (with margins set to 0 cm)
Maximum footer ist 5,94 (with margins set to 0 cm)
But perhaps there should be some informtions to the user, if a value is not accepted
Adding Design Team for further input
27,20 cm with A4 (bottom is 2cm, I can go higher when margin to bottom is lower) - shown when I enter an arbitrary high value and being effective on the page. Maybe I didn't get the point.
Build ID: f00389961da3396d935252dea1903484690f592f
CPU threads: 4; OS: Mac OS X 10.13.6; UI render: GL; VCL: osx;
Locale: de-DE (de_DE.UTF-8); UI-Language: en-US
Created attachment 152348 [details]
Screen capture illustrating the unexpected behaviour
Created attachment 152349 [details]
Screen capture of expected behaviour
To better illustrate the issue, I've attached two screen captures to this bug.
One of them (header_height_visibly_constrained.mp4) shows normal behaviour where:
1. The margins are set higher
2. The Page Style dialog is closed with the OK button
3. The Page Style dialog is reopened
4. Header height value is set to higher value than can be accepted (23.26cm)
5. Header height value is decreased to 18.46cm as soon as the input field is deselected.
The other (header_height_not_visibly_constrained.mp4) shows the unexpected behaviour where:
1. The margins are set higher.
2. The change is applied with the Apply button
3. Without closing the Page Style dialog, the header tab is selected
4. The header height is set to a higher value than can be accepted (23.26cm)
5. The header height is not decreased after the input field is deselected.
6. Change in the header height value from 23.26cm that was input to 18.46cm is only visible once the Page Style dialog is closed and reopened.
Other input fields in Writer conform to the first scenario where the value is decreased immediately so the user knows that their input was not accepted
Thanks for the screencast, I think it's clear now. The header tab does not take values into account that have been entered in the other tabs. Should be fixed by setting the correct maximum for this spinbutton.
Still present in
Version: 22.214.171.124.alpha0+ (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 1675a68526c43c6c6e4dc850ee911f0c1de75c88
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19042; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: de-DE (de_DE); UI: en-GB