Download it now!
Bug 126993 - Font language Latin is not recognized by Microsoft Office 2013 and the same occurs in LibreOffice with the same document created by Microsoft Office
Summary: Font language Latin is not recognized by Microsoft Office 2013 and the same o...
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
6.3.0.4 release
Hardware: All All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: Fonts Languages
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2019-08-17 17:25 UTC by hmslima1992
Modified: 2019-08-28 08:26 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
Files used in the test (1.97 MB, application/zip)
2019-08-17 17:25 UTC, hmslima1992
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description hmslima1992 2019-08-17 17:25:36 UTC
Created attachment 153467 [details]
Files used in the test

I made a document whose principal language is Brazilian Portuguese, I also added paragraphs with the following languages: Spanish, Japanese and Latin; for all of them I've set their respective languages.

I have no problems with the Portuguese, Spanish and Japanese texts, but the Latin one is misconfigured. This problem appears when: 

* I export the document from .odt to a .docx and I open it in Microsoft Office 2013: The language of the paragraph written in Latin was set as it is in Brazilian Portuguese (the main language of the document). However paragraphs written in other languages like Japanese or Spanish remain correctly configured. But, when I open this .docx file through LibreOffice (the same program that created this file), the language configuration of the paragraph is correct.

* I create a .docx document through Microsoft Office 2013 and I open it in LibreOffice: Language of the Latin paragraph is set as "{la}", which has the effect of "With no language". But other paragraphs in foreign language like the ones set as Spanish and Japanese work well 


Here is the full list of compatibility problems that I've found:

https://old.reddit.com/r/libreoffice/comments/cro171/ive_made_a_comparison_between_the_different/
Comment 1 hmslima1992 2019-08-17 17:28:49 UTC
I made a document whose principal language is Brazilian Portuguese, I also added paragraphs with the following languages: Spanish, Japanese and Latin; for all of them I've set their respective languages.

I have no problems with the Portuguese, Spanish and Japanese texts, but the Latin one is misconfigured. This problem appears when: 

* I export the document from .odt to a .docx and I open it in Microsoft Office 2013: The language of the paragraph written in Latin was set as it is in Brazilian Portuguese (the main language of the document). However paragraphs written in other languages like Japanese or Spanish remain correctly configured. But, when I open this .docx file through LibreOffice (the same program that created this file), the language configuration of the paragraph is correct.

* I create a .docx document through Microsoft Office 2013 and I open it in LibreOffice: Language of the Latin paragraph is set as "{la}", which has the effect of "With no language". But other paragraphs in foreign language like the ones set as Spanish and Japanese work well 


Here is the full list of compatibility problems that I've found:

https://old.reddit.com/r/libreoffice/comments/cro171/ive_made_a_comparison_between_the_different/
Comment 2 Dieter 2019-08-28 07:11:30 UTC
(In reply to hmslima1992 from comment #0)
> * I export the document from .odt to a .docx and I open it in Microsoft
> Office 2013: The language of the paragraph written in Latin was set as it is
> in Brazilian Portuguese (the main language of the document). However
> paragraphs written in other languages like Japanese or Spanish remain
> correctly configured. But, when I open this .docx file through LibreOffice
> (the same program that created this file), the language configuration of the
> paragraph is correct.

My result is a bit different: If I open attachment in MS Word 2013 there is no information about the language of lorem-ipsum paragraph. If I open it in LO, paragraph language is Latin.

> * I create a .docx document through Microsoft Office 2013 and I open it in
> LibreOffice: Language of the Latin paragraph is set as "{la}", which has the
> effect of "With no language". But other paragraphs in foreign language like
> the ones set as Spanish and Japanese work well 

I confirm it with

Version: 6.4.0.0.alpha0+ (x64)
Build ID: 3e64065612acec2eb29aa21e2b515953422256d7
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0; UI render: GL; VCL: win; 
TinderBox: Win-x86_64@62-TDF, Branch:master, Time: 2019-08-15_22:57:26
Locale: de-DE (de_DE); UI-Language: en-US
Calc: threaded

But can't see, that language is a paragraph setting, but a font setting (see Format => Character => Font Tab => Language). Therefore I changed bug summary.
Comment 3 Thomas Lendo 2019-08-28 08:24:29 UTC
(In reply to Dieter Praas from comment #2)
> But can't see, that language is a paragraph setting, but a font setting (see
> Format => Character => Font Tab => Language). Therefore I changed bug
> summary.
As we heard in Bug 35186 - Headings change language when applied, language is in odf a paragraph setting that is not available in current UI. See also Bug 120932 - Access to the language property at paragraph settings.