Bug 128032 - Multiple copies not printed
Summary: Multiple copies not printed
Status: VERIFIED NOTOURBUG
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Printing and PDF export (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
6.3.2.2 release
Hardware: All All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: Print
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2019-10-08 16:43 UTC by Paul Menzel
Modified: 2022-05-19 03:49 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:
Regression By:


Attachments
CUPS error log with debug level (301.23 KB, text/plain)
2020-04-26 22:08 UTC, Paul Menzel
Details
PPD for Epson WorkForce 2660 (9.70 KB, text/plain)
2020-04-26 22:09 UTC, Paul Menzel
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Paul Menzel 2019-10-08 16:43:25 UTC
Using Debian Sid/unstable with GTK+ 3.24.12 and LibreOffice 6.3.2 trying to print multiple copies only one copy is printed.
Comment 1 Buovjaga 2019-12-04 14:19:51 UTC
Which printer model are you using?
I guess this was not a problem for you in older versions? Which was the version it last worked in?
Comment 2 Paul Menzel 2019-12-04 15:33:17 UTC
Buovjaga, were you able to reproduce this.

I just reproduced it with 6.1.6.3, and choosing *printing to file*, so it’s independent of the printer driver.
Comment 3 Buovjaga 2019-12-04 18:50:17 UTC
I didn't try. I don't know, if printing to file is applicable in this case. What is the expected result with files?
Comment 4 Paul Menzel 2019-12-05 11:33:50 UTC
Create a Writer document, click on print, choose *printing to file*, and increase the number of copies to, for example, 3. Then click on the button *Print*, and choose the location for the file. Open the PDF file, and notice that instead of three pages it consists of one page.
Comment 5 Buovjaga 2019-12-05 11:55:44 UTC
(In reply to Paul Menzel from comment #4)
> Create a Writer document, click on print, choose *printing to file*, and
> increase the number of copies to, for example, 3. Then click on the button
> *Print*, and choose the location for the file. Open the PDF file, and notice
> that instead of three pages it consists of one page.

Hmm, yes, Microsoft Print to PDF does do it like that. However, the issue with printing to file is different from your original issue. I confirm the issue with printing to file, but not with printing to an actual printer. My printer is Canon LBP7018C. Please tell, which model you are using.

Arch Linux 64-bit
Version: 6.5.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: 7e403195e574be5174815a51cf5c42f06f76a87a
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.3; UI render: default; VCL: kf5; 
Locale: fi-FI (fi_FI.UTF-8); UI-Language: en-US
Calc: threaded
Built on 1 December 2019
Comment 6 Paul Menzel 2019-12-05 11:58:44 UTC
(In reply to Buovjaga from comment #5)
> (In reply to Paul Menzel from comment #4)
> > Create a Writer document, click on print, choose *printing to file*, and
> > increase the number of copies to, for example, 3. Then click on the button
> > *Print*, and choose the location for the file. Open the PDF file, and notice
> > that instead of three pages it consists of one page.
> 
> Hmm, yes, Microsoft Print to PDF does do it like that.

What does Microsoft have to do with this?

> However, the issue with printing to file is different from your original issue.

I am not sure about that. But anyway, will you create a separate issue for that, so it does not get lost?

> I confirm the issue with printing to file, but not with printing to an actual
> printer. My printer is Canon LBP7018C. Please tell, which model you are using.

It is an Epson WorkForce printer.
Comment 7 Buovjaga 2019-12-05 12:10:24 UTC
(In reply to Paul Menzel from comment #6)
> (In reply to Buovjaga from comment #5)
> > (In reply to Paul Menzel from comment #4)
> > > Create a Writer document, click on print, choose *printing to file*, and
> > > increase the number of copies to, for example, 3. Then click on the button
> > > *Print*, and choose the location for the file. Open the PDF file, and notice
> > > that instead of three pages it consists of one page.
> > 
> > Hmm, yes, Microsoft Print to PDF does do it like that.
> 
> What does Microsoft have to do with this?

Microsoft has to do with this as a reference point on how printing to file works on other systems besides Linux or LibreOffice. A user might as well expect it to print multiple files with some incrementing ID suffix.
 
> > However, the issue with printing to file is different from your original issue.
> 
> I am not sure about that. But anyway, will you create a separate issue for
> that, so it does not get lost?

Maybe.
Comment 8 Michael Weghorn 2020-04-21 13:12:07 UTC
Let's focus on the issue with the actual printer here.

@Paul: Does it still happen with a current daily build of master? If so, can you please attach your printer's PPD file, which should be located at /etc/cups/ppd/<PRINTERNAME>.ppd?
Comment 9 Paul Menzel 2020-04-21 13:24:37 UTC
(In reply to Michael Weghorn from comment #8)
> Let's focus on the issue with the actual printer here.
> 
> @Paul: Does it still happen with a current daily build of master? If so, can
> you please attach your printer's PPD file, which should be located at
> /etc/cups/ppd/<PRINTERNAME>.ppd?

Michael, does it work for you?
Comment 10 Michael Weghorn 2020-04-21 14:04:27 UTC
(In reply to Paul Menzel from comment #9)
> Michael, does it work for you?

Yes, works fine here for me on Debian testing with a Canon MX395 printer. I just printed two copies of a one-sided Writer doc without any problems.

Are you printing from Writer as well?

At a quick glance, printing multiple copies is handled by the CUPS printing system (on Linux), so it might be helpful if you can attach the CUPS log as well (/var/spool/cups/error_log), i.e.

* set 'LogLevel debug' in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
* restart cups: 'sudo systemctl restart cups.service'
* print from LO
* attach /var/log/cups/error_log (or the relevant part for the print job)

In my case, e.g. the params passed to CUPS are shown as follows in the log (but more may be useful):

> D [21/Apr/2020:15:55:26 +0200] [Job 1462] argv[0]="Canon_MX390_series"
> D [21/Apr/2020:15:55:26 +0200] [Job 1462] argv[1]="1462"
> D [21/Apr/2020:15:55:26 +0200] [Job 1462] argv[2]="michi"
> D [21/Apr/2020:15:55:26 +0200] [Job 1462] argv[3]="Untitled 1"
> D [21/Apr/2020:15:55:26 +0200] [Job 1462] argv[4]="2"
> D [21/Apr/2020:15:55:26 +0200] [Job 1462] argv[5]="collate InputSlot=Front PageSize=A4 job-uuid=urn:uuid:dca1bad3-e907-3371-5cb0-59ba61197f03 job-originating-host-name=localhost date-time-at-creation= date-time-at-processing= time-at-creation=1587477326 time-at-processing=1587477326 document-name-supplied=vqGhRw"
> D [21/Apr/2020:15:55:26 +0200] [Job 1462] argv[6]="/var/spool/cups/d01462-001"

where 'argv[4]' is the copy count (which is 2, as it should).
Comment 11 Michael Weghorn 2020-04-21 14:05:33 UTC
(In reply to Michael Weghorn from comment #10)
> Yes, works fine here for me on Debian testing with a Canon MX395 printer. I
> just printed two copies of a one-sided Writer doc without any problems.

And I'm using current master, should that play a role:

Version: 7.0.0.0.alpha0
Build ID: c5df1ab9ba8331802acadc00f7ff949ed0b2dbc1CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.5; UI render: default; VCL: kf5; Locale: en-US (en_GB.UTF-8); UI-Language: en-US
Calc: threaded
Comment 12 Paul Menzel 2020-04-26 22:08:13 UTC
Created attachment 159976 [details]
CUPS error log with debug level

(In reply to Michael Weghorn from comment #10)
> (In reply to Paul Menzel from comment #9)

[…]

> Are you printing from Writer as well?

Yes, I do. To not waste paper, I print blank pages.

> At a quick glance, printing multiple copies is handled by the CUPS printing
> system (on Linux), so it might be helpful if you can attach the CUPS log as
> well (/var/spool/cups/error_log), i.e.
> 
> * set 'LogLevel debug' in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
> * restart cups: 'sudo systemctl restart cups.service'
> * print from LO
> * attach /var/log/cups/error_log (or the relevant part for the print job)
> 
> In my case, e.g. the params passed to CUPS are shown as follows in the log
> (but more may be useful):
> 
> > D [21/Apr/2020:15:55:26 +0200] [Job 1462] argv[0]="Canon_MX390_series"
> > D [21/Apr/2020:15:55:26 +0200] [Job 1462] argv[1]="1462"
> > D [21/Apr/2020:15:55:26 +0200] [Job 1462] argv[2]="michi"
> > D [21/Apr/2020:15:55:26 +0200] [Job 1462] argv[3]="Untitled 1"
> > D [21/Apr/2020:15:55:26 +0200] [Job 1462] argv[4]="2"
> > D [21/Apr/2020:15:55:26 +0200] [Job 1462] argv[5]="collate InputSlot=Front PageSize=A4 job-uuid=urn:uuid:dca1bad3-e907-3371-5cb0-59ba61197f03 job-originating-host-name=localhost date-time-at-creation= date-time-at-processing= time-at-creation=1587477326 time-at-processing=1587477326 document-name-supplied=vqGhRw"
> > D [21/Apr/2020:15:55:26 +0200] [Job 1462] argv[6]="/var/spool/cups/d01462-001"
> 
> where 'argv[4]' is the copy count (which is 2, as it should).

It is the same here.

```
D [26/Apr/2020:20:23:52 +0200] [Job 370] argv[0]="EPSON_WF_2660_Series"
D [26/Apr/2020:20:23:52 +0200] [Job 370] argv[1]="370"
D [26/Apr/2020:20:23:52 +0200] [Job 370] argv[2]="paul"
D [26/Apr/2020:20:23:52 +0200] [Job 370] argv[3]="Unbenannt 1"
D [26/Apr/2020:20:23:52 +0200] [Job 370] argv[4]="2"
D [26/Apr/2020:20:23:52 +0200] [Job 370] argv[5]="collate PageSize=Letter job-uuid=urn:uuid:b10e8928-dfa5-3ce4-614e-eca53c47bd2a cups-browsed job-originating-host-name=localhost date-time-at-creation= date-time-at-processing= time-at-creation=1587925432 time-at-processing=1587925432 document-name-supplied=VjPFgt"
D [26/Apr/2020:20:23:52 +0200] [Job 370] argv[6]="/var/spool/cups/d00370-001"
```

So, the copy count is passed correctly to CUPS, pointing to a CUPS error.
Comment 13 Paul Menzel 2020-04-26 22:09:28 UTC
Created attachment 159977 [details]
PPD for Epson WorkForce 2660
Comment 14 QA Administrators 2020-04-27 03:42:22 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 15 Michael Weghorn 2020-04-29 12:09:52 UTC
This actually looks like it might be a problem outside LibreOffice.

I see nothing obvious in the PPD file.
Some more questions:

1) Does printing multiple copies work from other applications?

2) What happens if you try to print 2 copies of a one-sided PDF file from command line like this (having a PDF file "test.pdf" in the current directory)?

  lp -d EPSON_WF_2660_Series -n 2 test.pdf

3) What happens if you try the same as in 2) with the PDF file generated by LibreOffice for printing? That one should be in /var/spool/cups/d<JOB_ID>-001 ? (In case you have set PostScript to be used as print format in LibreOffice, this will be a PostScript file.)
Comment 16 Paul Menzel 2020-05-01 15:47:52 UTC
(In reply to Michael Weghorn from comment #15)
> This actually looks like it might be a problem outside LibreOffice.
> 
> I see nothing obvious in the PPD file.
> Some more questions:
> 
> 1) Does printing multiple copies work from other applications?

Apparently not. It does not work in Evince either.

> 2) What happens if you try to print 2 copies of a one-sided PDF file from
> command line like this (having a PDF file "test.pdf" in the current
> directory)?
> 
>   lp -d EPSON_WF_2660_Series -n 2 test.pdf

That also prints just one copy.

> 3) What happens if you try the same as in 2) with the PDF file generated by
> LibreOffice for printing? That one should be in
> /var/spool/cups/d<JOB_ID>-001 ? (In case you have set PostScript to be used
> as print format in LibreOffice, this will be a PostScript file.)

Same thing. The PDF in the spool directory with only one page, and printing that with the command above also just prints one file.

I am using Debian Sid/unstable with *cups* 2.3.1-12, and *printer-driver-escpr* 1.7.7-1.

I am going to close it for now, but GTK+/CUPS issues also concern LibreOffice.

PS: The reason, I reported this to LibreOffice was, that at work, as far as I remember, LibreOffice with our Canon printer also displayed this error.
Comment 17 Michael Weghorn 2020-05-04 07:05:41 UTC
Thanks for the update.
Comment 18 avid 2022-05-19 03:49:31 UTC Comment hidden (spam)