Download it now!
Bug 128683 - Add more tools to the new Table section in the Writer Sidebar
Summary: Add more tools to the new Table section in the Writer Sidebar
Status: VERIFIED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: UI (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
6.4.0.0.alpha1+
Hardware: All All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Roman Kuznetsov
URL:
Whiteboard: target:6.5.0 target:6.4.0.1 target:6....
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: Sidebar-Properties-Table
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2019-11-09 08:51 UTC by Roman Kuznetsov
Modified: 2020-01-12 22:17 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
Screen (339.14 KB, image/jpeg)
2019-11-19 18:23 UTC, Evgeniy
Details
Mockup. Left - before, right - after adding (95.91 KB, image/png)
2019-11-30 16:10 UTC, Roman Kuznetsov
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Roman Kuznetsov 2019-11-09 08:51:53 UTC
Description:
Add more tools to the new Table section in the Writer Sidebar

After https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/81893/ we have the nice Table section in Sidebar. But it has a few tools for me.
May be it needs add more tools to the section?
This enhancement just for discuss with UX - team.

I suggest to add next tools:

More options button to heading of the Table section (as is for Paragraph and Character sections)
Split Cells
Select Table
Table Cell Background Color
Borders
Formula (F2)

Steps to Reproduce:
-

Actual Results:
-

Expected Results:
-


Reproducible: Always


User Profile Reset: No



Additional Info:
-
Comment 1 Heiko Tietze 2019-11-11 11:13:57 UTC
Keep in mind that we have a toolbar to start functions, the sidebar should not be used as a replacement for the properties dialog.

(In reply to Roman Kuznetsov from comment #0)
> Split Cells
We have Merge and I would rather remove this button.

> Select Table
Would run this from the toolbar.

> Table Cell Background Color
> Borders
> Formula (F2)
Toolbar as well.

And "Delete Table" (as well as Delete Col/Row) is also not well suited at the sidebar. Keep it simple.
Comment 2 Heiko Tietze 2019-11-14 13:46:48 UTC
Would appreciate more comments here.
Comment 3 Heiko Tietze 2019-11-14 15:12:46 UTC
Tomaz, what's your opinion?
Comment 4 Heiko Tietze 2019-11-14 15:15:06 UTC
It was Tamas ;-)
Comment 5 Evgeniy 2019-11-19 18:23:51 UTC
Created attachment 155948 [details]
Screen
Comment 6 Evgeniy 2019-11-19 18:24:53 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #1)
> Keep in mind that we have a toolbar to start functions, the sidebar should
> not be used as a replacement for the properties dialog.
> 
> (In reply to Roman Kuznetsov from comment #0)
> > Split Cells
> We have Merge and I would rather remove this button.
> 
> > Select Table
> Would run this from the toolbar.
> 
> > Table Cell Background Color
> > Borders
> > Formula (F2)
> Toolbar as well.
> 
> And "Delete Table" (as well as Delete Col/Row) is also not well suited at
> the sidebar. Keep it simple.

The buttons "select cell" and "select column", like the rest, should be in the sidebar when editing the table.
That would not turn out a triangle cursor path to the entire monitor, as in the picture.
The text was written through a translator.
Comment 7 Heiko Tietze 2019-11-21 07:57:11 UTC
Mouse travel is a good argument (I also just wanted to mention simplicity). So let's add Select, Split, and Merge.
Comment 8 Roman Kuznetsov 2019-11-30 16:10:55 UTC
Created attachment 156202 [details]
Mockup. Left - before, right - after adding
Comment 9 Roman Kuznetsov 2019-11-30 16:11:43 UTC
Added my variant of tools on Table section
Comment 10 Commit Notification 2019-12-11 16:19:56 UTC
Roman Kuznetsov committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":

https://git.libreoffice.org/core/commit/d068c68640f32d4a94da4df197441ee09a702b75

tdf#128683 Add more tools to Table section in Writer's Sidebar

It will be available in 6.5.0.

The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
https://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds

Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.
Comment 11 Roman Kuznetsov 2019-12-11 17:01:08 UTC
>More options button to heading of the Table section (as is for Paragraph and Character sections) - still missing!

>Split Cells - done
>Select Table - done
>Table Cell Background Color - done
>Borders - done
>Formula (F2) - done

this enh still want a love from a real developer!
Comment 12 Tamás Zolnai 2019-12-11 17:05:59 UTC
(In reply to Roman Kuznetsov from comment #11)
> >More options button to heading of the Table section (as is for Paragraph and Character sections) - still missing!
> 
> >Split Cells - done
> >Select Table - done
> >Table Cell Background Color - done
> >Borders - done
> >Formula (F2) - done
> 
> this enh still want a love from a real developer!

Do these items have a working implementation? I don't like the idea that you are adding GUI items to the sidebar without they really work.
For example, I needed to extend the C++ code to have the right initial state for the sidebar buttons on this panel:
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=47c88b2c4db23f33a4371139745b8427564d3667
Comment 13 Roman Kuznetsov 2019-12-12 09:13:35 UTC
(In reply to Tamás Zolnai from comment #12)
> (In reply to Roman Kuznetsov from comment #11)
> > >More options button to heading of the Table section (as is for Paragraph and Character sections) - still missing!
> > 
> > >Split Cells - done
> > >Select Table - done
> > >Table Cell Background Color - done
> > >Borders - done
> > >Formula (F2) - done
> > 
> > this enh still want a love from a real developer!
> 
> Do these items have a working implementation? I don't like the idea that you
> are adding GUI items to the sidebar without they really work.

it worked when I checked it on my build. Of course I don't want add UI items that don't work.
 
> For example, I needed to extend the C++ code to have the right initial state
> for the sidebar buttons on this panel:
> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/
> ?id=47c88b2c4db23f33a4371139745b8427564d3667

If I made something wrong then I'll fix it of course. If you have any other notes for my patch, then please write it. Thank you for feedback

ps: I should was add you to reviewer list in the patch =(
Comment 14 Roman Kuznetsov 2019-12-13 07:15:15 UTC
Tamás, it works for me. I don't see what's wrong there
Comment 15 Commit Notification 2019-12-13 07:39:40 UTC
Roman Kuznetsov committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "libreoffice-6-4":

https://git.libreoffice.org/core/commit/aa86a2e30de9e9433dcc41c09023a07945affaf9

tdf#128683 Add more tools to Table section in Writer's Sidebar

It will be available in 6.4.0.1.

The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
https://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds

Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.
Comment 16 Tamás Zolnai 2019-12-13 13:28:48 UTC
(In reply to Roman Kuznetsov from comment #14)
> Tamás, it works for me. I don't see what's wrong there

Ok, I checked it.
One issue I found easily is the state of the Split Table button. When you click in the first row of a table the Split Table button is disabled on the toolbar and should be disabled also on the sidebar.
The problem comes up when you first click outside of the table (so the Table sidebar panel disappear) and then click inside the table, in the first row. The Split Table button is disabled on the toolbar, but not disabled on the sidebar panel.
So this initial state, when you first click into a table, is the problem here. I'm not sure whether a similar issue might happen to other newly added buttons or not. Hard to tell whether there is any condition when they are should be disabled.
Comment 17 Roman Kuznetsov 2019-12-13 19:54:51 UTC
(In reply to Tamás Zolnai from comment #16)

> Ok, I checked it.
> One issue I found easily is the state of the Split Table button. When you
> click in the first row of a table the Split Table button is disabled on the
> toolbar and should be disabled also on the sidebar.
> The problem comes up when you first click outside of the table (so the Table
> sidebar panel disappear) and then click inside the table, in the first row.
> The Split Table button is disabled on the toolbar, but not disabled on the
> sidebar panel.
> So this initial state, when you first click into a table, is the problem
> here. I'm not sure whether a similar issue might happen to other newly added
> buttons or not. Hard to tell whether there is any condition when they are
> should be disabled.

Now I see that problem. But I need some time for investigations..
Comment 18 Commit Notification 2019-12-18 10:04:38 UTC
Roman Kuznetsov committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":

https://git.libreoffice.org/core/commit/82dce922e6d36b40dd0571b0c00666cd6fc1a8ac

tdf#128683 Add More Options button to Table section in Writer's Sidebar

It will be available in 6.5.0.

The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
https://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds

Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.
Comment 19 Commit Notification 2019-12-20 07:44:32 UTC
Roman Kuznetsov committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "libreoffice-6-4":

https://git.libreoffice.org/core/commit/868f3b157e2982887c3efeb4de850560a43755c5

tdf#128683 Add More Options button to Table section in Writer's Sidebar

It will be available in 6.4.0.2.

The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
https://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds

Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.
Comment 20 Dieter Praas 2020-01-12 22:17:52 UTC
Verified in

Version: 6.5.0.0.alpha0+ (x64)
Build ID: 350d25da375f221edfa37309324ce3c68cf297ef
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 18362; UI render: default; VCL: win; 
Locale: de-DE (de_DE); UI-Language: en-GB
Calc: threaded

Although not all tools mentioned in the initial enhancement request are implemented, I change the bug to VERFIIED, because I understand the status RESOLVED FIXED in that way, that Roman finished his work. Works fine.

Roman, tanks for those improvements.