Download it now!
Bug 129444 - UI: Writer: illogical headers in Insert Bibliography Entry dialog
Summary: UI: Writer: illogical headers in Insert Bibliography Entry dialog
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
6.4.0.0.alpha0+
Hardware: All All
: medium trivial
Assignee: Caolán McNamara
URL:
Whiteboard: target:6.5.0 target:6.4.0.2
Keywords: needsUXEval
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2019-12-17 10:45 UTC by Mihkel Tõnnov
Modified: 2019-12-18 18:53 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Mihkel Tõnnov 2019-12-17 10:45:21 UTC
I found some strangeness in the Insert Bibliography Entry dialog (see Insert - Table of Contents and Index - Bibliography Entry).
The dialog has been slightly re-designed for 6.4, but I find the wording that is used strange. Namely the two section headers, "Entry" (old) and "Layout" (new in 6.4) no longer match their sections:
1) "Entry" has only two sub-items now, the radio buttons for choosing between "From bibliography database" and "From document content".
2) "Layout" has three sub-items: Short name (dropdown), Author, Title.

While I welcome the update (esp. moving the dropdown to its logical place above the Title/Author info, not below it as before), I cannot see the logic behind naming the second section header "Layout". In my mind, it would be logical to name that one "Entry", and rename the first header (current "Entry") to "Bibliography source" or similar, as it now is header only for the upper part of the dialog, not the whole dialog anymore. And depending on the chosen first header, the options "From bibliography database" / "From document content" should probably be updated, too (e.g. if the header is renamed to "Bibliography source", then the "From" in these strings becomes superfluous).
Comment 1 Heiko Tietze 2019-12-17 10:50:23 UTC
Any comment from the UX folks? Caolan submitted the patch at https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/85270/
Comment 2 Caolán McNamara 2019-12-17 10:55:36 UTC
updated https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/85270/ to reflect the suggestions here to date
Comment 3 Commit Notification 2019-12-18 16:14:32 UTC
Caolán McNamara committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":

https://git.libreoffice.org/core/commit/80deb9f71f29d76183f256afb92d3201998f14be

Resolves: tdf#129444 relabel the insert bibliography entry sections

It will be available in 6.5.0.

The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
https://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds

Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.
Comment 4 Commit Notification 2019-12-18 18:53:48 UTC
Caolán McNamara committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "libreoffice-6-4":

https://git.libreoffice.org/core/commit/102ad30193dd9837b8bc4bba05d22d932eef6312

Resolves: tdf#129444 relabel the insert bibliography entry sections

It will be available in 6.4.0.2.

The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
https://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds

Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.