Bug Hunting Session
Bug 32357 - Autocomplete is not language sensitive
Summary: Autocomplete is not language sensitive
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
Inherited From OOo
Hardware: All All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: AutoCorrect-Complete
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2010-12-13 13:01 UTC by RGB
Modified: 2018-08-10 07:49 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description RGB 2010-12-13 13:01:21 UTC
User case:
1- Install dictionaries for Spanish and Italian.
2- Set the language for two different paragraphs: one in Italian, the other in
Spanish.
3- In the Italian paragraph, type the word "raccomandare"
4- In the Spanish paragraph start typing the word "racimo"
Result:
When you type "rac" in the Spanish paragraph, autocorrect suggest "raccomandare"
which is wrong because you are typing in the Spanish paragraph, not in the
Italian paragraph.

This is a problem for translators when the languages are akin. The problem is
also present if you have two documents opened at the same time, one in each
language.
Comment 1 Cédric Bosdonnat 2010-12-14 01:22:17 UTC
Reproduced here on 3.3 build.
Comment 2 Andras Timar 2010-12-14 01:29:13 UTC
Autocomplete is not language dependent, you can write anything like "dsfghkldélgsfdjkk", it will be autocompleted.
Comment 3 Andras Timar 2010-12-14 01:31:26 UTC
It's a feature request not a bug.
Comment 4 RGB 2010-12-14 15:34:01 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> Autocomplete is not language dependent, you can write anything like
> "dsfghkldélgsfdjkk", it will be autocompleted.

That's not true: if the word is not recognized by spellchecker it will not be included on the autocompletion list. That makes it a bug because autocompletion suggest a word on another language which clearly is not on the dictionary used on the paragraph.
Comment 5 manj_k 2011-06-09 09:22:51 UTC
I think it is important to distinguish between "input" and "output".
The "input" into the word list (word completion) is language dependent if AutoSpellcheck is enabled.
The "output" of the word list into the document has never been language dependent (as far as I remember).
So I would propose to modify the bug report as a request for enhancement.
Comment 6 RGB 2011-06-09 12:06:00 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)
> I think it is important to distinguish between "input" and "output".
> The "input" into the word list (word completion) is language dependent if
> AutoSpellcheck is enabled.
> The "output" of the word list into the document has never been language
> dependent (as far as I remember).
> So I would propose to modify the bug report as a request for enhancement.

I know that the "output" was never language dependant. The problem here (and the main reason because I filled it as "bug") is that the behaviour is completely unexpected, leading to problems and waste of user time. I.e., on its actual implementation autocorrect gives wrong results when editing multilingual documents. This report is not about adding a new feature, but about fixing an existing feature that gives wrong results.
Comment 7 Björn Michaelsen 2011-12-23 11:33:56 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 8 Florian Reisinger 2012-08-14 13:59:26 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 9 Florian Reisinger 2012-08-14 14:00:38 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 10 Florian Reisinger 2012-08-14 14:05:20 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 11 Florian Reisinger 2012-08-14 14:07:22 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 12 manj_k 2012-08-14 15:29:32 UTC
REOPENED as request for enhancement.

It seems, that a steamroller has occupied Bugzilla... ;)
Comment 13 Florian Reisinger 2012-08-15 17:26:12 UTC
manj_k : It was necessary ( The problem: NOT 4 times....)
Comment 14 manj_k 2012-08-15 18:39:57 UTC Comment hidden (no-value)
Comment 15 QA Administrators 2014-10-23 17:31:59 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 16 RGB 2016-03-25 22:54:30 UTC
Still present on LibO 5.1
Comment 17 Daniel T. 2018-08-10 07:49:32 UTC
Still present in Version: 6.0.5.2 (Build ID: 1:6.0.5~rc2-0ubuntu0.17.10.1~lo1)