Created attachment 42073 [details]
Pls. see original report
I saw that in "LibreOffice 3.3.0 RC3 - WIN7 Home Premium (64bit) English UI [OOO330m19 (build 5 / tag 184.108.40.206)]", same with German UI.
I can't remember to have seen that in RC2see this very visible problem as a 3.3 blocker
What's the problem? Crash, data loss? If not, why does it block the release?
Dictionary extensions come with their own help (localized of course, because using Danish or Hungarian thesaurus makes only sense, if somebody understands the language.) Users who do not need Danish or Hungarian dictionaries, should not install them.
I don't have installed Danish or Hungarian UI or Help, and I can only hope that all those lots of other useless installed dictionaries won't flood my Help with additional itmes.
You can't sell a brand new car with fender benders, although it will run without problems.
I checked whether I might have had installed Danish or Hungarian UI, Help contents or dicti0onaries. I only found Bug 32126, for which I installed Danish UI on my old PC, but not on this one. I never installed something Hungarian.
(In reply to comment #3)
Check the source.
These two pages come from dictionaries which are implemented as extensions. When I remove these dictionaries with the installer, their helps are removed, too.
By the way, it would have been the same with the (unlocalizable) English help of NLPSolver, if it did not contain a bug. Help of NLPSolver does not get into the help tree, because the required help.tree file is missing from its source code.
> Check the source.
Please excuse me, I don't know what to do with those links.
Also I do not know how to use "the installer". I can't uninstall Danish or Hungarian language pack with the WIN installer, because I do not have installed them, and it's impossible to uninstall those dictionaries with the extension manager.
(In reply to comment #5)
> > Check the source.
> Please excuse me, I don't know what to do with those links.
OK, never mind. They just show where those pages are coming from.
> Also I do not know how to use "the installer". I can't uninstall Danish or
> Hungarian language pack with the WIN installer, because I do not have installed
> them, and it's impossible to uninstall those dictionaries with the extension
I think all dictionaries are installed by default by the Windows installer. Maybe this should be fine tuned in later releases in order to meet the users' needs (I don't know how). Anyway, when I open Windows Start menu - Settings - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs and I select LibreOffice and choose Modify, the installer starts and I can de-select e.g. the Danish dictionary from Optional Components - Dictionaries section.
Now I see. I tried to uninstall language packages, but I should have tried to uninstall dictionaries. Unfortunately my WIN7 refuses to uninstall with messag "Please close LibO before ...", but may be I am too ham-handed with my new WIn7.
If the problem reeally is limited to those 2 dicts. please feel free to remove this Bug from blockers
Andras, it seems to be related to
The help text is available only in the Hungarian, resp. Danish localization. Unfortunately, it is shown in all help translations.
One solution would be to allow translation of these pages, add them to pootle and let them translatied.
Another solution would be to modify the setting and show it inly in the particular help localizations. If it would need some support in the LO help code, feel free to reassign it to a developer.
Another solution would be to install the dictionaries only when the related UI localizations is enabled. In this case, please reassign it to Fridrich Strba.
The worst solution would be to disable the help content at all.
Andras, could you please have a look?
I agree with Rainer that we need not block the 3.3.0 release because of this. Though, it would be fine to have a better solution for 3.3.1.
BTW: This not related to the Online help. This problem is visible in the local help. In fact, the help from extensions is not shown at all if you you online help, see the bug #33209
=> updating the summary
May be you can write some hints on
To avoid misunderstandings concerning different terms and definitions for Help?
(In reply to comment #10)
> May be you can write some hints on
> To avoid misunderstandings concerning different terms and definitions for Help?
Nice page. I added some notes about differences between the local and online help.
Not a blocker, but may be annoying for someone who has installed several help packages.
(In reply to comment #0)
> Created an attachment (id=42073) [details]
> Pls. see original report
> I saw that in "LibreOffice 3.3.0 RC3 - WIN7 Home Premium (64bit) English UI
> [OOO330m19 (build 5 / tag 220.127.116.11)]", same with German UI.
> I can't remember to have seen that in RC2see this very visible problem as a 3.3
I have exactly the same bug appearing in the "Help" section of LibreOffice v3.4.0 [OOO340m1 (Build:12)] on a Windows Vista Business (32bit) English UI system.
I have installed "LibO_3.4.0_Win_x86_install_multi.exe" & "LibO_3.4.0_Win_x86_helppack_en-US.exe" after uninstalling LibreOffice 3.3.2 (where the problem was nonexistent)
I removed the help.tree files. So the content tree will look cleaner. The actual help pages can be found by searching for keywords or by free text search.
In Version 3.5.0 there are no longer Hungarian and Danish contents in German Help. From my view the problem is solved in this version. (Win XP)