Created attachment 44180 [details]
Zip file containing documents and png of the issue
I have an original document with a few bullet points saved as a .odt. The file is then saved as Word 97/2000/XP .doc in a Windows XP or 2007 environment. When the .doc is opened in LibreOffice the bullet character changes to what appears to be a 0xF1 character. I have attach some pictures and the documents to demonstrate.
Please, if you have a couple of files to attach, in the future just attach each one separately. No need to package them into a zip archive.
Also, please describe in greater detail what you did. What application (what version) did you use to read the original .odt document and save it as .doc? What does "Windows XP or 2007 environment" mean? There is nothing called "Windows 2007", and why the "or"? Do you mean Microsoft Office 2007 on Windows XP?
(In reply to comment #1)
> Please, if you have a couple of files to attach, in the future just attach each
> one separately. No need to package them into a zip archive.
> Also, please describe in greater detail what you did. What application (what
> version) did you use to read the original .odt document and save it as .doc?
> What does "Windows XP or 2007 environment" mean? There is nothing called
> "Windows 2007", and why the "or"? Do you mean Microsoft Office 2007 on Windows
Thanks for the reply. The reason that I zipped the file was that it seemed as I could only load one file before hitting the "confirm" link. I will load files separately next time.
As to the application that I used - I only used:
I tested this problem using the same version of LibreOffice on a Windows XP machine and on a Windows 7 machine ( I did not mean 2007 - my fingers did not type what I meant - sorry ). I do not have MS Office 2007 loaded at all.
Hope this helps clarify my earlier post.
Following are steps to recreate the problem
1. Start a new text document in LibreOffice.
2. Create a document with bullets. ( I am using Times New Roman 12 points )
3. Save the document in Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP ( .doc ) format.
4. Close LibreOffice.
5. Reopen LibreOffice.
6. Open previously saved document, and the bullets are not the same character.
Thanks for the clear reproduction instructions!
I am alao having the EXACT same issue. When I change a document to Microsoft Word format, I am getting the same changes in the bullet characters.
Same issue still exists in LibreOffice 3.3.2 final release version.
This is quite an important issue if interoperability with word users is needed.
Please fix this as soon as possible. Before trying LibreOffice, I was using OpenOffice.org. This bug did not exist in OpenOffice.
still in 3.4 beta, not just windows either but also linux ( although for some reason seems to display correctly on linux ) - guess I could try and have a look at this
(In reply to comment #8)
> still in 3.4 beta, not just windows either but also linux ( although for some
> reason seems to display correctly on linux ) - guess I could try and have a
> look at this
I would be fantastic it you could look at this. I can see where this type of bug could very quickly stop new people adopting LibreOffice and leaving the MS offering behind.
Last night, my wife had to send out a resume written using LibreOffice to a company in Word format. The bulletpoints looked great in LibreOffice, but when saved in any Word format the bulletpoints would convert to the triangle shaped object. This meant that she has to use MS Word for fix this problem as the company would only accept Word formatted resumes at this time. I sincerely hope that this issue can be resolved easily and soon. Thanks.
I give another confirmation of existence of this bug.
This is serious flaw in MSOffice interoperability.
The bug affects MS Word formats 6.0-2007 and does not affect RTF
3.4.1 version affected
(In reply to comment #13)
> 3.4.1 version affected
Windows XP/Intel x32
For me, this bug showed up either in the first version of LibreOffice, or very shortly thereafter. The bug is definitely not in the last version of OpenOffice that was released by Sun.
There are workaround (checked for versions 3.3.3 and 3.4.1):
when right-click on selected text and choose "Numbering/Bullets..." go to options and select button labeled "Character". There are already selected U+2022 - just click on it and press OK. Nothing seems changed but afterwards the bullet symbol remains in MSO-format files.
And, only "small disk" bullet symbol is affected, black or colored.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 34814 ***