Created attachment 44187 [details]
File not recognized in LibreOffice.
When opening the file "Text Import" dialog shows up. The file is attached. File generator is unknown.
tag libreoffice-220.127.116.11, Debian package 1:3.3.1-1
Created attachment 53918 [details]
An xls file which has been downloaded, but is imported as LibreOffice Writer doc.
(In reply to comment #2)
> Created attachment 53918 [details]
> An xls file which has been downloaded, but is imported as LibreOffice Writer
Andre, the file you attached is a CSV file renamed to XLS. In your case it is separated by TAB symbols. I tried and it imports just fine when delimiter is selected manually. Bug 38637 describes how CSV import could be improved.
In my case its XML formatted file. More about the format: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_XML_formats
It seems that the default file extension should be *.XML, however the file was received with *.XLS extension probably to instruct Windows to open the file with MS Excel.
As of LibreOffice 3.4.3, OOO340m1 (Build:302) under Debian Testing the file is treated as CSV file when opening it with *.XLS extension or as text file when *.XML is used.
I have found a Microsoft Excel 2003 XML file that opens in Calc without problems both with *.XML and *.XLS extentions. The file was found at
Created attachment 53947 [details]
Working Microsoft Excel 2003 XML file
One difference I noticed is that the first variant is encoded in UTF-16 while the second one (that Calc can recognize) is encoded in UTF-8. I re-saved the first one in UTF-8 but Calc still fails to recognize. Hmm....
Domas, who generates these files? Are both generated by the same software (Excel 2003 or otherwise)?
I can confirm that this bug still/also exists in the version
tag libreoffice-18.104.22.168, Ubuntu package 1:3.3.4-0ubuntu1
(In reply to comment #6)
> Domas, who generates these files? Are both generated by the same software
> (Excel 2003 or otherwise)?
This question remains unanswered.
Sorry for not answering for so long. The file is a monthly report that I get in e-mail so it is probably automatically generated by backend accounting software not by any office suite.
That said the file structure look fine. It opens with MS Office 2003. I attach the file resaved using MS Office 2003 as XML file and it opens with LibreOffice fine. The difference is the original file is encoded in UTF-16 and resaved file is in UTF-8 with slightly different structure.
Created attachment 64103 [details]
The initial XML file resaved using MS Office 2003
Dear Bug Submitter,
This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least 6 months. Please provide the requested information as soon as possible and mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug tracker maintenance, if the bug is still in NEEDINFO status with no change in 30 days the QA team will close the bug as INVALID due to lack of needed information.
For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the wiki located here:
If you have already provided the requested information, please mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the bug is ready to be confirmed.
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!
Hm - to me with Kohei involved and one other confirming, I am marking as NEW
@Kohei - is this our bug?
Created attachment 90352 [details]
Excel 2003 XML file in UTF-16 encoding
I'm attaching another example of Excel 2003 XML file in UTF-16 encoding:
LibreOffice Calc 22.214.171.124 (and older versions) tries to import this file as CSV, but when I re-encode this file to UTF-8 (simply open with gedit and then "Save As"-> Unicode(UTF-8)) then Calc opens re-encoded file as normal Excel spreadsheet.
MS Excel opens original file in UTF-16 encoding without problems.
I think it should be not hard to fix LibreOffice to detect Excel 2003 XML files, encoded in UTF-16 Unicode standard, as Calc spreadsheet, because LibreOffice already correctly detects UTF-8 encoded Excel 2003 XML files as Calc spreadsheet
The original bugdoc has invalid XML:
$ xmllint sales.xls
sales.xls:177: parser error : Unescaped '<' not allowed in attributes values
It joins several other requests to support invalid XML in Excel 2003 files. See Bug 38361, Bug 68742.
I've tested all four test files in the master branch build with the latest orcus, and all of them open fine now. I'll call this fixed.