Allow greater flexibility for languages and so forth
Eike Rathke: Any progress on this?
Just for info.
MS Windows 8 (and 8.1) supports Valencian (ca-ES-Valencia locale).
MS Office 2010 & 2013 allows .docx files using Valencian. Booth use ca-ES-Valencia for language identifier. MS Office 2013 supports Valencian language pack for UI and spellchecking.
ca-ES-valencia is supported now, see also bug 68714.
Most parts are now BCP 47 aware.
API for i18n locale data needs enhancement.
Cleanup of ll-CC kludges that should be ll-Ssss-CC instead.
Linguistic spell-checker and thesauri support might need some additional work.
* all 'sh' are 'sr-Latn' now, including locale data, dictionaries,
autocorrection and online help
* sh-* still exist to read legacy documents
* added bs-Cyrl, az-Cyrl, uz-Cyrl
* added 'pi-Latn' override for 'pli'
* added 'en-GB-oed' grandfathered tag for "English, Oxford English
Let's call this implemented. Remaining bits here and there might pop up from time to time, but in general we now do support BCP 47 language tags.