Bug 40415 - FILEOPEN: incorrect error message "Too many Rows"
Summary: FILEOPEN: incorrect error message "Too many Rows"
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 43911
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Calc (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
3.3.3 release
Hardware: x86-64 (AMD64) Linux (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2011-08-27 01:23 UTC by Kevin Hunter
Modified: 2012-06-03 04:56 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
A sparsely populated CSV file with 9 rows and 2,455 columns (6.63 KB, text/csv)
2011-08-27 01:23 UTC, Kevin Hunter
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Kevin Hunter 2011-08-27 01:23:14 UTC
Created attachment 50612 [details]
A sparsely populated CSV file with 9 rows and 2,455 columns

On LibO master built as of 24 Aug, opening the attached file loses columns.  This bug report is either of:

1. an incorrect error message
2. a request to make the number of cells (columns/rows) unlimited

As 2 is potentially under way with ixion and a long-term move away from cell-based treatment of spreadsheets, my guess is that 1 is the more correct characterization of the problem.  Therefore, I suggest this is a trivial problem, and the steps to reproduce:

1. Open attached "lp_matrix_example.csv".

2. Select "Separated by" and choose Comma and the double quote
   as the "Text delimiter".

3. Observe the dialog, which says
   "The maximum number of rows has been exceeded.
    Excess rows were not imported!"

This file has 2,455 columns, so that is potentially expected, but it only has 9 rows.  Thus, at the very least, the dialog box needs to updated with "columns" instead of rows.
Comment 1 Rainer Bielefeld Retired 2011-08-27 02:56:05 UTC
Reported effect is visible with "LibreOffice 3.4.3 RC2 - WIN7 Home Premium (64bit) German UI [OOO340m1 (Build:302)]" 

The message problem might be related to a.m. OOo bug.

OOo 3.3 shows the same nonsense message.

I did not find a GNUMERIC setting for comma separation.


@Kevin Hunter
We only can handle 1 prolbem per bug report, so here we only will investigate your "1. an incorrect error message"

For further problems further reports will have to be submitted. I doubt that there is an interest to allow unlimited No of columns/rows. But I believe your example should have been opened correctly, IMHO LibO allows more than 6000 columns.
Comment 2 Rainer Bielefeld Retired 2011-08-29 00:40:00 UTC
Not master specific, see Comment 1
Comment 3 Kevin Hunter 2011-12-20 08:30:59 UTC
Chalking it up to my learning curve, it turns out this is as simple as a #define in sc/inc/address.hxx and a few handling cleanups.  The current supported column size is (apparently) 1024.

As I'm now running a test build with a good bit more than that, for the time being (perhaps until ixion is in major use), it would seem that 1024 is good decision for performance reasons.  (Lots of seemingly easy operations take for...ev...er.)

Thus, I don't know where I got it in my head that LO supports X number of columns (maybe I confused it with rows?), but it would seem it does not.

However, this bug report is still valid (and I don't yet know how to fix it): the /message/ needs to be updated to jive with actual problem.
Comment 4 Björn Michaelsen 2011-12-23 12:38:35 UTC
[This is an automated message.]
This bug was filed before the changes to Bugzilla on 2011-10-16. Thus it
started right out as NEW without ever being explicitly confirmed. The bug is
changed to state NEEDINFO for this reason. To move this bug from NEEDINFO back
to NEW please check if the bug still persists with the 3.5.0 beta1 or beta2 prereleases.
Details on how to test the 3.5.0 beta1 can be found at:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugHunting_Session_3.5.0.-1

more detail on this bulk operation: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/RFC-Operation-Spamzilla-tp3607474p3607474.html
Comment 5 Kevin Hunter 2011-12-24 11:56:59 UTC
As built with LibreOffice branch 3.5, post Beta2:

$ git log -1 --format=oneline
7dfc54c7337f77be8e258a218df741c330904f73 support libebook-1.2.so.12 (evolution 3.2)

I believe this to still be an issue, but as the submitter, I won't mark it as NEW.  It's a (very) minor one, likely not to be hit by most folks who work entirely within LO rather than at an interface between programs, and it is /merely/ an incorrect message, but it should be simple to fix.

At least in my case, it would have been helpful to note in the message exactly how many columns /are/ supported.
Comment 6 Kevin Hunter 2012-06-03 04:56:58 UTC
It pays to be concise in bug reports ...

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 43911 ***