Problem description: on installing LO3.5 on 64bit Kubuntu 11.10 I noticed an error, something to the effect that no jre was found. After installation completed I looked in Tools>Options>Java and no jre was shown.
I chose to add one and selected /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre only to be told "the folder you selected does not contain a java runtime environment." (Same with java-1.6.0-openjdk/jre and default-java/jre)
I then reinstalled LO3.4 (which I had removed prior to installing 3.5)and checked to see where it had found a jre - it was the path used above ie /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre.
I read somewhere that LO3.5 works with java 7 so installed openjdk 7 and tried /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre (and java-7-openjdk-common/jre) neither of which worked either
Current behavior: LO3.5 tells me I have no jre
Expected behavior: that LO3.5 would use the same jre as LO3.4 does
Platform (if different from the browser):
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu/11.10 Chromium/16.0.912.77 Chrome/16.0.912.77 Safari/535.7
Tried a reinstall and the error, during install was
javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
which followed each of the dictionary installs (although spell checking works)
I have removed 3.5 totally, including config files.
Removed 3.4 (left config)
reinstalled 3.5 - still not finding java
reinstalled 3.4 installs without problem
tried an install of 3.5 on a VM running Linux mint 11 (32bit) with 3.4 installed. Installed without problem.
Confirm with 184.108.40.206 RC1 on Win7-64 (3.5.0 update)
LO is looking for the wrong path to the location of Java64 at
instead of user/Program Files/Java where the 32bit version sits.
Have to choose subfolder ./Java/jre6 on [Add], otherwise error:
This folder does not contain a Java Runtime Environment.
Clicking [Add] should not open dir-tree at "My Documents" but rather collapsed or focus at Program Files/Java to ease the choice and identify potential subfolders of /Java.
Just fixed this. I don't recall being given a choice when I first downloaded LO3.5 but I got the i386 version. Today I downloaded again and got the 64bit version (defaulted to that, no offer of i386).
After removing the old and installing the new all is now working as it should.
Closing due to Comment 4