Download it now!
Bug 46838 - LibO Writer crashes when opening a file with or displaying farsi letters
Summary: LibO Writer crashes when opening a file with or displaying farsi letters
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 45355
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
3.5.0 release
Hardware: x86 (IA32) Windows (All)
: medium critical
Assignee: Olivier DESCOUT
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-03-01 09:59 UTC by Olivier DESCOUT
Modified: 2013-11-28 22:20 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
File to be opened to reproduce the LibO Writer crash (8.30 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text)
2012-03-01 09:59 UTC, Olivier DESCOUT
Details
The Windows-Clipboard dump to be loaded for reproducing the LibO/Writer crash (14.11 KB, application/octet-stream)
2012-03-02 02:28 UTC, Olivier DESCOUT
Details
Small HTML page, whose content is to be copied to LibO/Writer (35.79 KB, text/html)
2012-03-05 08:59 UTC, Olivier DESCOUT
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Olivier DESCOUT 2012-03-01 09:59:07 UTC
Created attachment 57869 [details]
File to be opened to reproduce the LibO Writer crash

Scenario: LibO Writer always crashes right after opening the attached odt file. From time to time, Writer does not crash right after opening the file; if so, scroll to the end of the document and Writer crashes.

The faulty document has been created using a simple clipboard paste in an empty document. I tried to find out why: it appears that Writer crashes because the text I pasted contains some farsi letters (the same piece of text without the farsi letters never makes Writer crash).
Comment 1 Jean-Baptiste Faure 2012-03-01 12:57:34 UTC
Hmmm, your file seems to be empty. No crash for me under Ubuntu 11.10 but no farsi character. Even, no character at all. ;-)

Best regards. JBF
Comment 2 Olivier DESCOUT 2012-03-02 02:27:10 UTC
Sorry, you're right: the attached ODT file being empty makes sense, as I get Writer crash as soon as I paste the text in it (so Writer can't have saved it yet). The farsi characters must be in the recovery data since every time I tried to restart Writer after that crash, it tries (and succeeds) to recover the file, but fails to open it and saves recovery data again.

Since I could not find where the LibO recovery data are on my disk, I tried to make a complete, but as simple as possible scenario. And I'm afraid you won't be able to reproduce it on any machine but a Windows one, as it clearly relies on the Operating System clipboard (my machine is running under Windows XP Pro SP3, if it is of any help).

Here is the scenario:
-> Start "CLIPBRD.EXE", which is the standard Windows clipboard utility viewer/saver, using Start/Run... on the Start menu (then ignore the error message saying "Album service is not started": we don't need it).
-> In the clipboard utility, open the attached file "LibOWriter_CrashText.CLP"
-> Then start LibO/Writer with an empty document.
-> Paste text.
Then LibO/Writer should crash.
Comment 3 Olivier DESCOUT 2012-03-02 02:28:55 UTC
Created attachment 57906 [details]
The Windows-Clipboard dump to be loaded for reproducing the LibO/Writer crash
Comment 4 Petr Mladek 2012-03-02 09:11:11 UTC
I have troubles to reproduce this problem using the clipboard snapshot. It shows ???? instead of the Farsi characters. I guess that the encoding is wrong.

Is it possible to provide another steps to reproduce the problem?

The original description is wrong, definitely, because the attached file is empty and does not include the problematic text. So, how do you reproduce it?
Is it possible to cut&paste the text from a public page?
Comment 5 Urmas 2012-03-02 18:51:46 UTC
Do not copy "te:" line while copying. Does it work now?
Comment 6 Olivier DESCOUT 2012-03-05 08:59:05 UTC
Created attachment 58033 [details]
Small HTML page, whose content is to be copied to LibO/Writer

OK, since the actual text source was HTML (more precisely, it's text copied from a Wiki-editor while editing some Wikipedia page being identified as a Wikipedia user with a customized Wikipedia wiki-editor), I've finally been able to create a Unicode HTML page, which is an extract of the wiki-editor containing the text, which causes the issue.

So the reproducing scenario is now:
-> Open the attached file "LibOWriter_Crash_Text.html"
-> "Select All" the HTML-page text
-> Start LibO/Writer with an empty document
-> Paste the text.
Then LibO/Writer should crash.

Now I use Firefox 10 to open the HTML page. I don't know if the issue can be reproduced with another browser like Chrome or Opera. At least I know Internet Explorer 8 can't even open the page, so it can't be reproduced with IE8.
Comment 7 Petr Mladek 2012-03-08 06:53:52 UTC
Thanks a lot lot for the html. I am able to reproduce the problem with LO-3.5.1-rc2 on Windows now. I do not see it on Linux.

=> adding some Windows experts into CC.
Comment 8 Petr Mladek 2012-03-08 06:57:11 UTC
Any crash is pity but I think that it affects only very small group of users. Also it is possible to copy the page without the Farsi line => it should not block the release => lowering the severity a bit.
Comment 9 Urmas 2012-03-09 13:01:45 UTC

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 45355 ***