Created attachment 62861 [details]
1. Open new text document.
2. Format > Page > Text Grid
3. Select "Grid(linex and characters)".
4. Set some number to "Max . base text size".
5. The maximum value of the "Lines per page" to change depending on the value of "Max. Base text size".
6. However, the maximum value of the "Characters per line" does not change.
7. Close the dialog by clicking "OK".
8. Format > Page > Text Grid
9. the maximum value of the "characters per line" will change.
Is this an addon? There is no grid at this position with this features in any version of the writer I have: LO 3.3.4 and LO 220.127.116.11 on OpenSuSE 32bit.
Created attachment 63971 [details]
Grid Screen shot
format > Page > Text Grid
Created attachment 63976 [details]
page-style default in writer LO 18.104.22.168 under openSuSE 11.4 32 bit
There is not text-grid in my installation of LO 22.214.171.124 under OpenSuSE 11.4 32bit and KDE.
Tool > Options > Language settings > languages > Enabled Asian languages
If that is ON, the tab of the "text grid" will appear.
Now I have found it. You are right: "Max. base text size" changes only "Lines per page". "Characters per line" were automatically set and must be corrected after closing and opening the dialog again.
I have changed the Status to "new".
Takeshi Abe committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":
fdo#50941: "Characters per line" will not change when changing "Max base text size"
closing as per Comment 6.