Bug 59793 - Hard-coded strings in the Compress Graphics dialog
Summary: Hard-coded strings in the Compress Graphics dialog
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: UI (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
4.0.0.1 rc
Hardware: All All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2013-01-24 09:34 UTC by Martin Srebotnjak
Modified: 2013-02-21 19:49 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Martin Srebotnjak 2013-01-24 09:34:12 UTC
There are unlocalizable, hard-coded strings here:
Hard coded strings:
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/svx/source/dialog/compressgraphicdialog.cxx#127

I added a picture to a spreadsheet with Insert - Picture - From File ... and when it was inserted I clicked context command Compress Graphics ...

The dialog pops up and it is mostly localizable, but in the displayed
strings there are parts that remain in English.
The first line contains the Original Size, which is displayed in the
proper measure units ("54,64 cm x 37,30 cm") but then something
strange follows: " ( 2732 x 1865 px )"
That is not localizable - px should be localizable like it is later on
in this dialog, and the spaces after the first and before the second
brace are not suitable for Slovenian language.

In the next line we have "Visible Size", but then again two
unlocalizable strings : "at 299 DPI", the first one in Slovenian
should read "pri", the second one "slik. točk/palec". Both are hard-coded.

The Capacity measure should probably also be localizable "kiB", I am
not sure that is proper for Slovenian.
Comment 1 Martin Srebotnjak 2013-01-26 20:36:16 UTC
Just asking because the bug was changed (component) from UI to Localization.
It would be a localization bug, if it was about a bad or missing translation issue.
It the UI, its code, does not allow localization, it is a UI flaw, not a Localization one. Or am I wrong? Just want to have a clear picture for any further reports of this kind.
Comment 2 Adolfo Jayme 2013-01-26 20:39:27 UTC
My bad. It is indeed a i18n problem, not l10n. Changed back to UI.
Comment 3 Not Assigned 2013-02-21 17:56:58 UTC
Tomaž Vajngerl committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=4e7949974f44e9b1c7b6bae5e8f78234ff860e45

fdo#59793 Make compress graphic dialog strings translatable.



The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds
Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.
Comment 4 Tomaz Vajngerl 2013-02-21 18:00:33 UTC
Hi, 

I have put those strings into a "src" file as String resource which should be translatable. I have commited this into master. Let me know if this is OK now or if you have any further suggestions so I can submit the patch for LO 4.0 version.

Regards, Tomaž
Comment 5 Adolfo Jayme 2013-02-21 18:50:49 UTC
(In reply to comment #4)
Well, the policy is that no new strings should appear in bug fix releases, so this would ship in 4.1. But IMHO it’d be great to have this in the 4.0 series as well -- as a localizer, I don’t see a problem in adding three translatable strings. My 2 ¢.
Comment 6 Andras Timar 2013-02-21 19:49:12 UTC
Yes, it can go to libreoffice-4-0. If a team want to translate is, they can. If they ignore the new strings, no problem. It will not be worse for them, just the same as before.