Created attachment 74808 [details]
libreofice document to reproduce bug
Steps to reproduce:
1. open libreoffice
2. Load attached odt
3. Click search and replace
4. in search text enter check\((.*)+\)
5. Mark regular expressions
6. Click FindAll
CPU goes to 100% and search operation never completes
search regular expression should be found without processor to go to 100%
Operating System: Windows 7
Version: 18.104.22.168 release
thank you for reporthing this bug,
I can reporduce this bug running LibreOffice 22.214.171.124 on Winows 7.
This is quite critical - is it possible to get some estimation? Has anybody looked at this?
Hi Klemen, I do not find "5. Mark regular expressions" in the latest nightly of LO.
Does this problem persist with 4.2.2?
Dear Bug Submitter,
This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least 6 months. Please provide the requested information as soon as possible and mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug tracker maintenance, if the bug is still in NEEDINFO status with no change in 30 days the QA team will close the bug as INVALID due to lack of needed information.
For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the wiki located here:
If you have already provided the requested information, please mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the bug is ready to be confirmed.
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!
Yes it is still there However I cannot reproduce this in 4.2.2 version.
CPU doesn't go to 100%, but also check strings in document are NOT marked.
Created attachment 107390 [details]
This is dialog to enter regexp text and issue regexp search
To begin with, you probably wanted to search for "check\(([^)]+)\)", which works. The combination of "(.*)" and "+" mean that you are asking for "one or more of (any number of any characters)", which isn't sensible.
There is however a bug to be fixed here; updated reproduction instructions:
1) Load the attached document
2) Search for the regular expression "check\((.*)+\)" (without the surrounding quotes, and using "Find", not "Find All" - an instance will be found)
3) "Find" again (a long pause, then no further instance will be found)
4) Place the cursor back at the start of the document
5) "Find" again
- The instance that was found the first time should be selected
- Nothing is found
This will continue until the contents of the "Search For" field are changed, after which the original search will magically start working again
(In reply to Matthew Francis from comment #7)
> Expected results:
> - The instance that was found the first time should be selected
> Actual results
> - Nothing is found
I confirm this. I had no problem with operation never completing, but it can take some CPU and maybe 10-30 secs.
Win 7 64-bit dev build Version: 126.96.36.199.alpha1+
Build ID: 14a2cfc27f86112469f2a2252bdc154ad8d3219f
TinderBox: Win-x86@42, Branch:master, Time: 2014-10-28_04:51:26
** Please read this message in its entirety before responding **
To make sure we're focusing on the bugs that affect our users today, LibreOffice QA is asking bug reporters and confirmers to retest open, confirmed bugs which have not been touched for over a year.
There have been thousands of bug fixes and commits since anyone checked on this bug report. During that time, it's possible that the bug has been fixed, or the details of the problem have changed. We'd really appreciate your help in getting confirmation that the bug is still present.
If you have time, please do the following:
Test to see if the bug is still present on a currently supported version of LibreOffice (5.0.4 or later)
If the bug is present, please leave a comment that includes the version of LibreOffice and your operating system, and any changes you see in the bug behavior
the bug is NOT present, please set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED-WORKSFORME and leave a short comment that includes your version of LibreOffice and Operating System
Please DO NOT
Update the version field
Reply via email (please reply directly on the bug tracker)
Set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED - FIXED (this status has a particular meaning that is not appropriate in this case)
If you want to do more to help you can test to see if your issue is a REGRESSION. To do so:
1. Download and install oldest version of LibreOffice (usually 3.3 unless your bug pertains to a feature added after 3.3)
2. Test your bug
3. Leave a comment with your results.
4a. If the bug was present with 3.3 - set version to "inherited from OOo";
4b. If the bug was not present in 3.3 - add "regression" to keyword
Feel free to come ask questions or to say hello in our QA chat: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=libreoffice-qa
Thank you for your help!
-- The LibreOffice QA Team This NEW Message was generated on: 2015-12-20
I confirm that once ~2.4Ghz CPU core goes to 100% for about 7 seconds when step 6 (click FindAll) is done, LO5.3.0alpha 2016-08-25
BUT, after the 7 seconds, the appropriate highlighted search result is displayed.
Still seems like something pathologic is happening in the regex engine, but perhaps it's not as bad as it used to be.
Perhaps just a bad/ pathological regex.
As per comment #7 first suggested regex, that completes 'instantaneously' for me.
I can also confirm comment #7 step 3, but not comment #7 "Actual results - Nothing is found" - the same text is for me, found again.
So except for a long (~7 seconds) pause on the second "Find" I am experiencing none of the other problems in the latest LO.
Just checked also on LO188.8.131.52 stable. Same results for me as above.
Works for me.