When downloading LibO the download button includes 2 possibilties:
- msi download
- torrent download
Both possibilities are difficult to be recognized; I also got once problems. However from AskLibO activities there are indications that more people have the same troubles
Modify buttons that the 2 possibilities are easily to be recognized.
For reference I include a link to AskLibO; please note that the comments concerning the downloads are further down in the posting. Please scroll to my comment (ROSt52):
Operating System: Windows XP
Version: 184.108.40.206 release
Thanks for reporting. Lets improve the title a bit, so it is more meaningful. I also added a bug report in the 'see also' field from a bug reporter who reported a bug because he thought there was no torrent download.
Because you are not the first, and will not be the last with how it currently is, I mark this bug report as NEW.
@Bug reporter: you have some thoughts about "how to improve"?
Just make 4 button
- top 2 for msi files
- bottom 2 for torrent files w
with a clear distinction and explanations above or below the bottom. The explanation should inform on merits and demerits of each file type.
Please look also at:
I think part of the problem lies with the fact that the text "Main installer" is a reference to the target file (rather than protocol i.e., direct download / FTP / HTTP) while "Torrent" is the reverse. In both cases it is the installer that is being downloaded, but the protocols are different. Generally, sites use a series of protocol links e.g., HTTP, FTP, torrent, jigdo, etc.
The other problem with the current large green button / graphic is in it not being a link, but rather containing several links. I think most people would expect a button / graphic to represent a clickable item, as on the Apache OpenOffice download page:
The choices for a button are usually either: a button-per-protocol or a secondary screen where the method of download is selected. A cursory examination of download pages of other significant FOSS projects (e.g., Gimp, Inkscape, Scribus, Calligra) reveals basic text offering direct links rather than button / graphics.
I do not agree with using the term "MSI" as this is a platform-specific packaging term. The current "installer" is fine as a generic reference, but the links should (IMO) indicate the protocol.
Hi, this is Miss-Marbles that logged the problem. I've downloaded many updates to Libre before, and truthfully, this time I did not realize that "Main installer" on the green button was clickable... I thought it was the title of the button, and that "torrent" was the only option. When my question was answered on the forum, I hovered my cursor over "info," saw the mirror sites, and successfully downloaded the update from one of them.
I just didn't interpret the info on the download button correctly. It's probably just me having a "duh" moment (and I'm an IT person, too).
Perhaps it might be good to clarify the download button somehow, though? Perhaps "main installer," "torrent," and "info" could more clearly look like equal choices? At a glance, none look clickable. I just assumed it was "THE download button" and clicked somewhere on it, and just happened to hit "torrent."
Thanks for your prompt attention!! Your product is fantastic, and I can see that the support for it is as well.
I think it is not the question of using or not using MSI etc. It is just the clarity of buttons to click on. Like Barbara, I once found accidentally that in the upper part of the green button I can download msi-file and on the lower there is the torrent protocol.
(I actually learned now from oweng's comment that torrent is a protocol... thanks for that!)
IT experts like oweng understand already from the words "Main installer" and "Torrent" that there is a difference. But IT-illiterates like me need to find it out the hard way...
IMHO it is just the creation of a 2 more buttons. Two buttons for msi-files (main SW and Help) and two for the torrent protocol download of the main SW and Help file.
Thanks also to Barbara for adding her comment
This has nothing to do with the BASIC programming language, so removing that from the summary.
ticket moved to redmine, see https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/1548