Here's how to instantly crash Impress.
1. Start Impress.
2. Insert Movie or sound.
3. Browse to a .wmv file (of type WMV1)
4. A thumbnail appears, with the usual 8-point drag handles.
5. Drag the bottom corner downwards to increase the size.
6. Boom. Impress crashes instantly, and the window vanishes.
1. This ONLY happens to .wmv files in format WMV1. The WMV2 and WMV3 (and .AVI) files are unaffected. I tested this with several different videos of each type.
2. One such problematic video is identified by mplayer as:
VIDEO: [WMV1] 320x240 24bpp 1000.000 fps 189.0 kbps (23.1 kbyte/s)
AUDIO: 32000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 32.0 kbit/3.12% (ratio: 4000->128000)
another is identified as:
VIDEO: [WMV1] 640x480 24bpp 1000.000 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
AUDIO: 8000 Hz, 1 ch, s16le, 0.1 kbit/0.10% (ratio: 16->16000)
this latter one is one of the Microsoft sample vidoes shipped with Windows XP; you can find it at C://system32/oobe/images/intro.wmv
3. Simply inserting the video, (not resizing it), and then going to slideshow (F5) works fine, and the video is played back ok.
4. Mplayer has no problem playing back the video.
5. This is on Ubuntu 64-bit Raring Ringtail.
6. Although launched from the command-line, I see no "dying message", and nothing helpful when I strace it.
7. Aside: I also saw this in 18.104.22.168, though sometimes rather than a crash, LO would hang with the cursor still grabbed, and prevent window repainting.
I hope this is a helpful bug report; let me know if there's more I can help with.
Created attachment 77680 [details]
This is a backtrace from doing:
1. soffice --backtrace
2. Cancel document recovery prompt
3. New presentation.
4. insert video.
5. Try to Resize video.
Joel/Michael: I think a gstreamer bug and bt may interest you.
(In reply to comment #2)
> Joel/Michael: I think a gstreamer bug and bt may interest you.
Sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand you.
But, it might be helpful for me to add that the file plays perfectly OK in totem, which a gstreamer-based movie player.
Richard: my previous comment was for 2 people I put in cc on this bugtracker. Both may provide some help about this bug.
Sorry this one slipped through the radar for me - what would help a lot is having a wmv1 file to test on (short one to limit size).
I found this file: http://archive.org/details/Windows7WildlifeSampleVideo which I believe is wmv1 (WMP7) and I was able to resize no problem with 4.2 master built a a week or so ago.
Marking as NEEDINFO - if it's still a problem with 4.0.4 if you could get a test file that resizing causes crashing that would be great. once this is done mark as UNCONFIRMED and I will try to reproduce quickly and move it forward.
Also, was this a problem with 3.6 or below?
You have a test file but it's from XP - the bug is marked as Linux(all) so getting to a file on Windows is tough for us Linux QA people :)
I found one short video here, which is only 330 kB, and in the right format:
VIDEO: [WMV1] 320x240 24bpp 1000.000 fps 80.0 kbps ( 9.8 kbyte/s)
AUDIO: 16000 Hz, 1 ch, floatle, 16.0 kbit/3.12% (ratio: 2000->64000)
In LO version 22.214.171.124 (on Ubuntu Raring 64-bit), I can reproduce the bug, to the extent that Impress just hangs, with a cursor-grab till I xkill it.
In LO version 126.96.36.199 (Mageia 3, 64-bit), it works fine (resizing and playback), as does the WindowsXP sample I originally used.
So, while it would be worth double-checking that the how-not-to-tow-a-boat video works for you as well, I think we can close this bug as fixed. Thanks for your help.
Excellent news - verified that it's now fixed.