Bug Hunting Session
Bug 65537 - 'Insert external data' from local HTML-File with named table-tag (Attribute id) does not work
Summary: 'Insert external data' from local HTML-File with named table-tag (Attribute i...
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Calc (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
4.1.0.0.beta1
Hardware: x86-64 (AMD64) Windows (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: Calc-External-Datalink
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2013-06-08 10:44 UTC by Cars221221
Modified: 2017-08-28 19:15 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
it should replace the step to step description (200.21 KB, image/jpeg)
2013-06-08 10:44 UTC, Cars221221
Details
it should replace the step to step description (200.21 KB, image/jpeg)
2013-06-08 10:47 UTC, Cars221221
Details
Html-Source-Code and the 'Step by Step'-Picture as ODT (190.59 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text)
2013-06-09 05:59 UTC, Cars221221
Details
now with the right ContentType: it should replace the step to step description (200.21 KB, image/jpeg)
2013-06-09 06:05 UTC, Cars221221
Details
Html-Source-Code as Html-File (378 bytes, text/html)
2013-06-26 15:54 UTC, Cars221221
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Cars221221 2013-06-08 10:44:35 UTC
Created attachment 80516 [details]
it should replace the step to step description

Betriebsystem: Windows 7x64 SP1 Build 7601
LibreOffice Versionen:
it does not work in 
* LibreOfficePortable_4.0.3_MultilingualNormal.paf.exe
* LibreOfficeDev_4.1.0.0.beta1_Win_x86.msi
but it works fine in 
LibreOfficePortable_3.6.5_MultilingualNormal.paf.exe
use Language in LO: german

I have tested with and without using LO-UserProfiles.

Please also see the Picture in Attachment (1 Picture and the Source Html Example File. The Html-SourceCode is also to see in the picture)

I followed the documentation in Calc Guide: "The Full 3.4 book" Chapter "Linking to external data" "Using the Navigator" and "How to find the required data range or table".

The individual named Html-Tag appears in the Navigator-List.
But the Bug is, that the result after draging into target document is an ErrorMessage (translated smth like that: The Link could not be updated.) 

The Links "HTML__MyTableName" and "HTML_all" does not work.
The Links "HTML_1" and "HTML_tables" work fine.

I tested also with many changes in Html-File, but without any success.

I´m quiet sure, that with the prepared picture the problem is easy to recognize. Also without a step to step description. I hope so.

Best wishes for you,
thanks.

Sorry,
Html-SourceCode just could not add also to the attachment, so I insert the Code here:
<html>
  <head>
    <title>Test</title>
  </head>
  <body>
    <table id="MyTableName">
      <thead>
        <tr>
          <th>Spalte 1</th>
          <th>Spalte 2</th>
        </tr>
      </thead>
      <tbody>
        <tr>
          <td>Inhalt Spalte 1</td>
          <td>Inhalt Spalte 2</td>
        </tr>
      </tbody>
    </table>
  </body>
</html>
Comment 1 Cars221221 2013-06-08 10:47:59 UTC
Created attachment 80517 [details]
it should replace the step to step description

Again the picture, because ErrorMessage on my first try.
Comment 2 Luuk 2013-06-08 11:46:36 UTC
Can you save the "LibreOfficeCalcErrorExtLinkHtmlNamedTable.HTML" file with the externsion ".odt" and than upload it?

It would make (more) clear how you defined the ranges...
Comment 3 Luuk 2013-06-08 11:47:28 UTC
Comment on attachment 80516 [details]
it should replace the step to step description

this attachment is useless, it can be deleted
Comment 4 Cars221221 2013-06-09 05:59:53 UTC
Created attachment 80548 [details]
Html-Source-Code and the 'Step by Step'-Picture as ODT
Comment 5 Cars221221 2013-06-09 06:05:52 UTC
Created attachment 80549 [details]
now with the right ContentType: it should replace the step to step description
Comment 6 Thomas Hackert 2013-06-20 12:15:19 UTC
Hello Cars, *,
would you be so kind to give us a short stop-by-step description here, please? I have looked at the picture as well as in your document, but still have no idea, how you inserted the html code in Calc, that it appears like in the right picture ... :(
TIA
Thomas.
Comment 7 Thomas Hackert 2013-06-26 05:27:32 UTC
Hello cars221221, *,
I am still waiting for an answer ... :( So I removed the keyword "Needinfo" and set the status to "NEEDINFO" ... ;)
Sorry for the inconvenience
Thomas.
Comment 8 Cars221221 2013-06-26 15:54:28 UTC
Created attachment 81482 [details]
Html-Source-Code as Html-File
Comment 9 Cars221221 2013-06-26 16:00:21 UTC
Hallo Thomas,
I´m glad to get a new reply. After about a week I didn´t look every day - sorry.
I added also the Example-Source Html-File as attachment.

Step by Step:
Create the Example HTML-File with the Sample-Code from Description or take the new Attachment with the Html-File “LibreOfficeCalcErrorExtLinkHtmlNamedTable.html”.

Linking to external Data (Source: “0310CG3-LinkingCalcData.odt” on Page 13)
You can do this in two ways: using the External Data dialog or using the Navigator
Using the External Data dialog
1) Open the Calc document where the external data is to be inserted. This is the target document.
2) Select the cell where the upper left-hand cell of the external data is to be inserted.
3) Choose Insert → Link to External Data.
4) On the External Data dialog, type the URL of the source document (LibreOfficeCalcErrorExtLinkHtmlNamedTable.html) or click the [...] button to open a file selection dialog. Press Enter to get Calc to load the list of available tables.
If a dialog “Importsettings” occurs, then chose “automatic”
5) In the Available tables/range list, select the named  table “HTML__MyTableName” to insert. 
6) Click OK to close the dialog and insert the linked data.
If you inserted the „HTML__MyTableName“ then Calc show the ErrorMessage in the target cell.
If you inserted the „HTML_1“ (this is an automatic given name) then Calc the correct Html-Table.

Using the Navigator
1) Open the Calc spreadsheet in which the external data is to be inserted (target document).
2) Open the document from which the external data is to be taken (source document). If the source document is a Web page, choose Web Page Query (LibreOffice Calc) as the file type.
3) In the target document, press F5 to open the Navigator.
4) At the bottom of the Navigator, select the source document.
The Navigator now shows the range names or the tables contained in the source document. Click on the + next to Range names to display the list.
5) In the Navigator, select the Insert as Link drag mode
6) Select the required range or table and drag it from the Navigator into the target document, to the cell where you want the upper left-hand cell of the data range to be.
7) In the target document, check the Navigator. Instead of a + by Range names, it shows a + by Linked areas. Click the + to see the same range name 
If you inserted the „HTML__MyTableName“ then Calc show the ErrorMessage in the target cell.
If you inserted the „HTML_1“ (this is an automatic given name) then Calc the correct Html-Table.

If there are any further question, please don´t hesitate.
Bye.
Comment 10 Thomas Hackert 2013-07-02 14:43:20 UTC
Hello Cars221221, *,
(In reply to comment #9)
> I´m glad to get a new reply. After about a week I didn´t look every day -
> sorry.

sorry, but most of us QA guys and gals are doing this job in our spare time ... :( And if you - like me - had a hard job and actually a different emphasis here in the project (OLH and UI translation to German ... ;) ), it is difficult to get all necessary things done, which are on a to-do list, especially if you have not that much spare time at hand ... :(

> I added also the Example-Source Html-File as attachment.

Thank you very much :) And thank you for reporting this bug :)

> Step by Step:
> Create the Example HTML-File with the Sample-Code from Description or take
> the new Attachment with the Html-File
> “LibreOfficeCalcErrorExtLinkHtmlNamedTable.html”.

Done the second ... ;)

> Linking to external Data (Source: “0310CG3-LinkingCalcData.odt” on Page 13)

Is this an ODFAuthors document?

> You can do this in two ways: using the External Data dialog or using the
> Navigator

OK

> Using the External Data dialog
> 1) Open the Calc document where the external data is to be inserted. This is
> the target document.
> 2) Select the cell where the upper left-hand cell of the external data is to
> be inserted.
> 3) Choose Insert → Link to External Data.
> 4) On the External Data dialog, type the URL of the source document
> (LibreOfficeCalcErrorExtLinkHtmlNamedTable.html) or click the [...] button
> to open a file selection dialog. Press Enter to get Calc to load the list of
> available tables.
> If a dialog “Importsettings” occurs, then chose “automatic”
> 5) In the Available tables/range list, select the named  table
> “HTML__MyTableName” to insert. 
> 6) Click OK to close the dialog and insert the linked data.
> If you inserted the „HTML__MyTableName“ then Calc show the ErrorMessage in
> the target cell.

I cannot confirm it with LO Version: 4.1.0.1.0+
Build ID: 6ccc588a522f1068706fe05f5c819e488b6628e
TinderBox: Linux-x86_64@31-Release-Configuration-RHEL5-Baseline, Branch:libreoffice-4-1, Time: 2013-07-01_15:59:20 with installed Germanophone help- as well as langpack under Debian Testing AMD64 ... ;) I can open it without any error message ... ;)
Would you be so kind to test it with a newer version of LO than 4.1.0.0.beta1, please?

<snip>
> Using the Navigator
> 1) Open the Calc spreadsheet in which the external data is to be inserted
> (target document).
> 2) Open the document from which the external data is to be taken (source
> document). If the source document is a Web page, choose Web Page Query
> (LibreOffice Calc) as the file type.

For some reason I only get the dialog "Import Options" here. When I let "Select the language to use for import" as it and mark "Detect special numbers (such as dates)." and click on OK, it opens in Calc ... ;) But if I open it from the StartCenter, it opens in Writer/Web ... :(
I haven't tested your further your second description, as I could reach the result, you wanted to here ... ;)

<snip>
> If there are any further question, please don´t hesitate.

Only my plea to test it with a newer version of LO than 4.1.0.0.beta1 ... ;)
TIA
Thomas.
Comment 11 Cars221221 2013-07-02 20:32:14 UTC
Hello Thomas,

thanks for your replay.


>> Linking to external Data (Source: “0310CG3-LinkingCalcData.odt” on Page 13)
>Is this an ODFAuthors document?
Yes. Was only mentioned due to express, that "my" instructions are copied from this manual. (Of course I also followed this intructions.)

>But if I open it from the StartCenter, it opens in Writer/Web ... :(
I haven't tested your further your second description, as I could reach the result, you wanted to here ... ;)

From StartCenter you need to chose the FileTyp "Web Page Query". Than it opens in Calc. But so you don´t get the dialog with listing the available Html-tables.
Hence you can´t check descripted Error at this way, because you don´t see, which of the available Html-Tables the programm used. Of course, the sample-Html has only one table, but the LO-List with available tables has 4 references to this (HTML_1, Html_all, Html_tables and Html__MyTableName).
Remember, that the error was, that not  all, but 2 of this refernces didn´t work.
For me is the most important Reference the "Html__MyTableName", because this feature make it possible to reference to external Tables and after changing the external Html-File (e.g. inserting others tables more) the linked result in Calc still unchanged and you get the same table than before.


Sorry to say, but if you didn´t use one of the two mentioned ways from the instructions, than you failed the aim. (Don´t be angry with me - I still glad, that you try to understand and test my stuff.)

>I haven't tested your further your second description, as I could reach the result, you wanted to here ... ;)
I assume, that I didn´t describe the Error good enough.
The problem was NOT to be able to import the Html-Table. It´s about to insert an external link to a user defined named Table. Links to external Html-Tables works fine, but not if you use an self defined Name for Html-Table and combined with LO-Version greater than 4.

>Only my plea to test it with a newer version of LO than 4.1.0.0.beta1 ... ;)
In deed: The Error doesn´t exist in LO-Version "LibreOffice_4.1.0.1_Win_x86.msi" (Build ID: 1b3956717a60d6ac35b133d7b0a0f5eb55e9155).
So it works again fine like in LO-Versions 3.6.5.

Thanks a lot!