Bug Hunting Session
Bug 65759 - FILESAVE: Corrupted Database file after closing Database, Data loss
Summary: FILESAVE: Corrupted Database file after closing Database, Data loss
Status: RESOLVED INVALID
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Base (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
4.0.2.2 release
Hardware: x86-64 (AMD64) Linux (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard: BSA
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2013-06-14 16:16 UTC by Mike A. Fargo
Modified: 2013-06-20 20:42 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
Corrupted database file, looks similar to an empty FAT sector. (1.50 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.database)
2013-06-14 16:16 UTC, Mike A. Fargo
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Mike A. Fargo 2013-06-14 16:16:30 UTC
Created attachment 80817 [details]
Corrupted database file, looks similar to an empty FAT sector.

Problem description: 

I had about 8 tables and 6 queries, when working with the data
got worse and worse: Changes were not accepted, some changes
to field names were rejected, and so on.

While some tables were still open, I decided to close
the database file, and answered all dialogues like:
changed data, save? with yes.

In the end, the ODB file was only 1536 bytes of size, 
looks like an root entry.

Steps to reproduce:
I hope, you will not step into the same situation....

Current behavior:
Data loss, no backup

Expected behavior:
Keep backup / restore information until
written file is closed and approx. the same
size like its preceedor.
              
Operating System: Debian
Version: 4.0.2.2 release
Comment 1 Mike A. Fargo 2013-06-14 19:51:40 UTC
One thing to add,

even if hidden a bit: as for backups, Libreoffice is really great.
I just encountered a collection of backups in

~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/backup

Happy.
Mike.
Comment 2 Joel Madero 2013-06-20 20:42:59 UTC
It is indeed empty - I changed to zip, unzipped and looked, no data in there.

That being said unfortunately there isn't an actual bug report here - no reproducible steps to confirm - no way to really know what went wrong. 

Without knowing how to diagnose it we have to mark as INVALID - I hope also that it doesn't happen again - if you find a way to reproduce I can try to go through steps but as is, all I can say is that indeed the file is empty, as to why or how or if it's our bug, no way to know)


Best of luck, hopefully going forward you don't see the same issue. Good news is I haven't seen any similar reports - if I do I'll re-explore this one and let you know.