Download it now!
Bug 66028 - EDITING: Gallery items don't show up properly
Summary: EDITING: Gallery items don't show up properly
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
4.2.0.0.alpha0+ Master
Hardware: Other Windows (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard: BSA
Keywords: regression
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2013-06-21 22:34 UTC by Eric Bright
Modified: 2013-11-28 07:28 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
Snapshot of the explained issue - Gallery items don't show up properly (225.54 KB, image/png)
2013-06-21 22:34 UTC, Eric Bright
Details
Problem resurfaced: Snapshot of the explained issue - Gallery items don't show up properly (90.50 KB, image/png)
2013-07-04 07:50 UTC, Eric Bright
Details
Reproduced via tools->Gallery (130.86 KB, image/png)
2013-07-05 20:03 UTC, Eric Bright
Details
Latest mater at 2013-07-05_04.07.10 (112.02 KB, image/png)
2013-07-05 20:32 UTC, Eric Bright
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Eric Bright 2013-06-21 22:34:01 UTC
Created attachment 81186 [details]
Snapshot of the explained issue - Gallery items don't show up properly

Problem description: 

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open Writer
2. Open Gallery
3. Browse through the items
4. Items do not show up properly and some of them are missing

Current behavior:

Gallery items don't show up as they should. They are either missing thumbnails or the thumbnails look like ghost images.

Expected behavior:

The thumbnails of the gallery items should show up like clear images, not like ghost images.
              
Operating System: Windows 8
Version: 4.2.0.0.alpha0+ Master
Comment 1 Jorendc 2013-06-27 20:02:48 UTC
I can not reproduce this behavior using Windows 8 with LibreOffice Version: 4.2.0.0.alpha0+ Build ID: 7746de6e42d5957fa62fa278e2c46a0cb472dc01

@bug reporter: is it possible to reset your user profile of your dev version and retest with the version I tested? http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/master/Win-x86@6/2013-06-27_01.06.16/

How to reset your user profile : https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UserProfile#Resetting_the_user_profile

If this doesn't work, does disable the hardware acceleration help? Tools > Extra > LibreOfficeDev > View -> Use hardware acceleration.

Just some possibilities :).

Kind regards,
Joren
Comment 2 Eric Bright 2013-06-28 00:52:58 UTC
Thank you for your attention. Here is the results of what I've done:

1- I disabled the Hardware acceleration. Result: issue is not fixed.

2- I reset the user profile after disabling the hardware acceleration. Result: issue is not fixed.

3- I installed your version of LibreOfficeDev, and reset the user profile again. Result: issue is fixed.

So, the regression seems to be fixed in the lated master.


(In reply to comment #1)
> I can not reproduce this behavior using Windows 8 with LibreOffice Version:
> 4.2.0.0.alpha0+ Build ID: 7746de6e42d5957fa62fa278e2c46a0cb472dc01
> 
> @bug reporter: is it possible to reset your user profile of your dev version
> and retest with the version I tested?
> http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/master/Win-x86@6/2013-06-27_01.06.16/
> 
> How to reset your user profile :
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UserProfile#Resetting_the_user_profile
> 
> If this doesn't work, does disable the hardware acceleration help? Tools >
> Extra > LibreOfficeDev > View -> Use hardware acceleration.
> 
> Just some possibilities :).
> 
> Kind regards,
> Joren
Comment 3 Jorendc 2013-06-28 16:42:16 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)

> 3- I installed your version of LibreOfficeDev, and reset the user profile
> again. Result: issue is fixed.
> 
> So, the regression seems to be fixed in the lated master.

Thanks for testing and reporting! Marking it as RESOLVED WORKSFORME then :). If these problems reappear, please feel free to mark this bug again as UNCONFIRMED.

Kind regards,
Joren
Comment 4 Eric Bright 2013-07-04 07:43:35 UTC
The issue resurfaced again. This version is affected:

http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/master/Win-x86@6/2013-07-04_00.19.19/

Whereas the last known version which works fine is this one:

http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/master/Win-x86@6/2013-06-27_01.06.16/

I only tried one other version between the above-mentioned versions which was also affected:

http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/master/Win-x86@6/2013-07-02_04.18.48/
Comment 5 Eric Bright 2013-07-04 07:50:50 UTC
Created attachment 82006 [details]
Problem resurfaced: Snapshot of the explained issue - Gallery items don't show up properly

This is the same issue that was fixed in the build at

http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/master/Win-x86@6/2013-06-27_01.06.16/

and now is back in build:

http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/master/Win-x86@6/2013-07-04_00.19.19/

And possibly the builds in between.
Comment 6 Jorendc 2013-07-04 07:53:45 UTC
Thanks for this nice testing!

@Michael: If I'm right you were (a bit?) involved in the implementation of the new gallery. Any chance you know what makes this so 'unstable'? Didn't reproduced it yet, I'll try this evening.

Thanks in advance,
Joren
Comment 7 Eric Bright 2013-07-04 07:56:18 UTC
Thank you Joren and others for your kind attention. Your attention is very much appreciated.




(In reply to comment #6)
> Thanks for this nice testing!
> 
> @Michael: If I'm right you were (a bit?) involved in the implementation of
> the new gallery. Any chance you know what makes this so 'unstable'? Didn't
> reproduced it yet, I'll try this evening.
> 
> Thanks in advance,
> Joren
Comment 8 Michael Meeks 2013-07-05 11:13:30 UTC
Not sure; since the sidebar is experimental, can you reproduce this with tools->Gallery in the normal way ?

That view looks particularly odd, we'd have to work quite hard to re-colour / make 'insensitive' all of those images.

Then again - what is the bit depth of your screen - the sort of artifacts shown there are quite odd ;-) almost as if rendered in 4bit colour and then converted or something.
Comment 9 Eric Bright 2013-07-05 20:03:39 UTC
Created attachment 82091 [details]
Reproduced via tools->Gallery

Here is a new screenshot of the gallery. I opened it via tools->Gallery, and it still looks the same.

I am not an expert, but I think the issue has something to do with LibreOffice, not my monitor (settings: 1920 by 1080, True Color (32 bit), 60 Hertz). The reason is because when I uninstall this version and delete its profile, and then install this version: http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/master/Win-x86@6/2013-06-27_01.06.16/, then everything looks perfectly normal. Then I uninstall it, delete the profile, reinstall this version 2013-07-04_00.19.19/, and everything turns ugly. If it was the monitor's settings, then should't I experience the same problem with any version of LO?
Comment 10 Jorendc 2013-07-05 20:15:20 UTC
Tested using this version:

(In reply to comment #4)
> The issue resurfaced again. This version is affected:
> 
> http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/master/Win-x86@6/2013-07-04_00.19.19/

I can reproduce the behavior using Windows 8

Can not reproduce using 
Version: 4.1.0.1.0+
Build ID: ca0bbec3c9ce2defee96743cf63227e46cd01c1
TinderBox: Win-x86@6, Branch:libreoffice-4-1, Time: 2013-06-29_11:04:24

Marking as NEW.

Kind regards,
Joren
Comment 11 Eric Bright 2013-07-05 20:32:10 UTC
Created attachment 82093 [details]
Latest mater at 2013-07-05_04.07.10

I just did an experiment:

1- Uninstalled LibreOfficeDev

2- Installed the latest master from:
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/master/Win-x86@6/2013-07-05_04.07.10/

3- Opened Writer

4- Did not change anything in Options. I.e. I did NOT change the settings in Options->Advanced->Enable experimental sidebar. So, sidebar is off

5- Opened the gallery via tools->Gallery

6- The gallery items still look ugly

So, it might not even be a sidebar issue.

Thank you for your attention.
Comment 12 Jean-Baptiste Faure 2013-11-27 21:37:09 UTC
Hi lucifer and Joren,

Do you still experience this problem with the gallery ?

Best regards. JBF
Comment 13 Eric Bright 2013-11-28 06:26:32 UTC
(In reply to comment #12)
> Hi lucifer and Joren,
> 
> Do you still experience this problem with the gallery ?
> 
> Best regards. JBF


Hi JBF,

Thank you for your follow up. The latest trunk I have installed and ran does not have that bug, or at least I could not reproduce that issue in the latest build. Does this information help in any way?

Best regards,
Lucifer
Comment 14 Jean-Baptiste Faure 2013-11-28 07:28:36 UTC
(In reply to comment #13)
> [...]
> Thank you for your follow up. The latest trunk I have installed and ran does
> not have that bug, or at least I could not reproduce that issue in the
> latest build. Does this information help in any way?

Yes it helps, thank you for the quick answer. I am closing this bug as WORKSFORME as we don't know what fixed the problem. 
Please feel free to reopen if it comes back in the future.

Best regards. JBF