Created attachment 87874 [details]
Sample file (LO 220.127.116.11, Fedora 19 64-bit)
When activating fonts embedding, LO embeds some non-used fonts, making the file very large. It's mostly annoying on Windows, where LO embeds SimSum font which size is about 15 MB (!).
Steps to reproduce:
1. Open a new document (in Writer\Calc\Impress\Draw).
2. Write some text (like 'Hello World').
3. Goto File->Properties...->Font, and select 'Embed fonts in the document'.
4. Save the document.
5. Check the file size, which is very large (especially if you're using Windows).
5. (Optional) Unzip the document, and inspect the 'Fonts' sub-directory. You can see there many font files, although you've used only one font in the document.
I'm attaching a sample document created with LO 18.104.22.168 under Fedora 19 (64-bit). The document uses only 'Liberation Serif Regular' font, but the document file contains also the Bold\Italic variations, as well as 'Liberation Sans' (all variations) and Lohit Devanagari (two copies of the same file!).
See also Bug 70192 comment 2 for a files created under Windows, one of them is of 18.2 MB, while it's a simple presentation with just one slide, that uses only 'Liberation Sans Regular'. After unzipping you can see that it contains also the non-used 'SimSum' font (14.6 MB) and 'AR PL KaitiM Big5' (9.9 MB).
This bug also confirmed in Bug 70312, so starting as NEW.
(In reply to comment #0)
> See also Bug 70192 comment 2 for a files created under Windows
OK, I was wrong as those particular files were created under Linux (looks like the user copied 'SimSun' font from his Windows installation). But the same happens for me when I save a document under Windows, although I don't use Chinese at all, and my system is with English locale.
*** Bug 71164 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 65353 ***