The Help Text of the Writer options (Menu: Table > Number Format...) “Number recognition” and “Number format recognition” is not very specific and irritated me. Hence I propose to replace the existing text with:
< Beginning of description >
Determines that the number recognition in tables is active. A number category is assigned to each cell. Generally the number recognition only works in cells with number categories Percent, Currency, Date, Time, Scientific, Fraction and Boolean Value. The number recognition works as follows:
(1) A number is always recognized, if the input is recognized as a valid number value with a unit according to the number category of the cell. The cell is formatted according the format assigned in the Number Format dialog.
Examples: An input of “12 %” in a cell with category Percent changes to “12.00%” or an input “10/05/20” in category Date changes to “2010-05-20”.
(2) Furthermore a number is always recognized, if the input is a valid number value without a unit. The cell is formatted according the category and the format assigned in the Number Format dialog. (Hint: Value is converted, if category is Date or Time.)
Examples: An input of “12.345” in a cell with category Percent changes to “12.35%”, an input of “1234.56” in category Currency changes to “$1,234.56” or an input “23456.78” in category Date or Time changes to “03/20/1964 18:43:12”.
(3) If the option “Number format recognition” is marked, an inputted number with a unit is also recognized even the unit is different to the number format of the cell. The unit has to be in accordance with a unit of one of the categories. The category changes according to the inputted unit. The cell is formatted with a default format of the according category.
Example: An Input of “12.345%” in a cell with the category Currency changes to category Percent and “12.35%” is displayed.
(4) With all other inputs the number category changes to “Text” and the inputted text is not changed.
If “Number recognition” is not active, all inputted numbers are always saved in text format.
< End of description >
I made this proposal already in bug 48758. Hence in that bug several problems are described, I split those problems into different bug reports. This report is one of them.
Operating System: Windows 7
Version: 220.127.116.11 release
thanks Harald > new
In order to limit the confusion between ProposedEasyHack and EasyHack and to make queries much easier we are changing ProposedEasyHack to NeedsDevEval.
Thank you and apologies for the noise
Migrating Whiteboard tags to Keywords: (needsDevEval)
** Please read this message in its entirety before responding **
To make sure we're focusing on the bugs that affect our users today, LibreOffice QA is asking bug reporters and confirmers to retest open, confirmed bugs which have not been touched for over a year.
There have been thousands of bug fixes and commits since anyone checked on this bug report. During that time, it's possible that the bug has been fixed, or the details of the problem have changed. We'd really appreciate your help in getting confirmation that the bug is still present.
If you have time, please do the following:
Test to see if the bug is still present on a currently supported version of LibreOffice
(5.1.6 or 5.2.3 https://www.libreoffice.org/download/
If the bug is present, please leave a comment that includes the version of LibreOffice and
your operating system, and any changes you see in the bug behavior
If the bug is NOT present, please set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED-WORKSFORME and leave
a short comment that includes your version of LibreOffice and Operating System
Please DO NOT
Update the version field
Reply via email (please reply directly on the bug tracker)
Set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED - FIXED (this status has a particular meaning that is not
appropriate in this case)
If you want to do more to help you can test to see if your issue is a REGRESSION. To do so:
1. Download and install oldest version of LibreOffice (usually 3.3 unless your bug pertains to a feature added after 3.3)
2. Test your bug
3. Leave a comment with your results.
4a. If the bug was present with 3.3 - set version to "inherited from OOo";
4b. If the bug was not present in 3.3 - add "regression" to keyword
Feel free to come ask questions or to say hello in our QA chat: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=libreoffice-qa
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!
Problem still exists in version 5.3.0.
Olivier Hallot committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":
tdf#72038 Improve number format recognition help
Checked with version 6.1.2 (64 bit, Win 10).
An improved version of the help text is displayed now. Hence bug closed.