Bug 75281 - FILEOPEN: table cell text hidden in .DOC and .RTF
Summary: FILEOPEN: table cell text hidden in .DOC and .RTF
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
Inherited From OOo
Hardware: All All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: filter:doc, filter:rtf
Depends on:
Blocks: DOC-Tables RTF-Tables
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2014-02-20 21:53 UTC by Milos Sramek
Modified: 2018-10-14 02:57 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
files demonstrating the problem (450.82 KB, application/zip)
2014-02-20 21:55 UTC, Milos Sramek
Details
screenshot (86.08 KB, image/png)
2015-07-19 05:37 UTC, tommy27
Details
tdf75281_minimal.doc: reduced test created by MSO2003 (27.00 KB, application/msword)
2017-10-13 10:31 UTC, Justin L
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Milos Sramek 2014-02-20 21:53:53 UTC
Hi,

I attach file original.doc with table - if opened, the left cell in the last but one line (cell AA) is empty, but should not be. It is perhaps problem with versioning - see the following text.

This was observed in LO 4.2.1.1, but also in LO41, LO40 and even Apache OO40.

The text, which should be displayed there is "Počet realizovaných patentov, nových technológií, predaných licencií a pod." (see the attached PDF)

I can, however, display some text in the cell by the following procedure:
1. click in the table and hit CTRL-A twice to highlight the table
2. Using the Drop down menu set the style to "WW-Základný text 21" - some text appears in the AA cell
3. Hit CTRL-M - even more text appears in the AA cell, but it is not the same text as in the PDF file.

The text which appears is: "Počet realizovaných patentov, nových technológií, predaných licencií a pod.patentov, nových technológií, predaných licencií ap.patentov, nových technológií, predaných licencií ap."

Not only that - The text in the last line is different now:
Instead of 
"Školiteľ skončených ašpirantov/doktorandov (počet)" 
I can see there 
"Školiteľ skončených ašpirantov/doktorandov (počet) Počet realizovaných patentov, nových technológií, predaných licencií ap.
Pedagogická činnosť  (počet hodín ročne):"

See the attached screenshot LOTableBug.png

I've tried to investigate the problem deeper. I've converted the doc file in Microsoft Office 2013 to docx, rtf and odt (attached). Then I viewed the source - inside in all of them I was able to find both the correct and incorrect string.

Thus, I assume, that this is a problem with versioning (or something similar) in the document (neither MS Office nor Libreoffice shows any versions or revisions) - LO displays the incorrect version.

The table behaves strange in general - if different paragraph styles are applied, text in different cells vanishes - this is perhaps another problem

--
Milos
Comment 1 Milos Sramek 2014-02-20 21:55:21 UTC
Created attachment 94457 [details]
files demonstrating the problem
Comment 2 Thomas van der Meulen 2014-03-22 19:39:36 UTC
Thank you for your bug report, I can reproduce this bug running 
Version: 4.2.3.1
Build ID: 3d4fc3d9dbf8f4c0aeb61498a81f91c5b7922f13
OS: Mac osx 10.9.2

I have compared it with Microsoft word 2007 on Windows 7 and there the text is shown.
Comment 3 tommy27 2014-07-16 04:30:03 UTC
tested under Win7x64
issue confirmed in OOo 3.3.0, LibO 4.2.5.2 and yesterday 4.4 daily master build
bug is inherited from OOo
Comment 4 QA Administrators 2015-07-18 17:44:33 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 5 tommy27 2015-07-19 05:37:33 UTC
Created attachment 117322 [details]
screenshot

I confirm issue under Win8.1 x64 using LibO 4.4.5.1

the issue persists with the .DOC and .RTF files from attachment 94457 [details]

if I use LibO 5.1.0.0 alpha the .DOC rendering is even worse (see screenshot) while the .RTF bug remains the same.

interestingly the .DOCX version is correctly rendered in both versions
Comment 6 QA Administrators 2016-09-20 10:18:38 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 7 Milos Sramek 2016-09-25 20:36:20 UTC
I can confirm same behavior still in Version: 5.3.0.0.alpha0+
m
Comment 8 Telesto 2016-12-12 20:40:41 UTC
Still repro with:
Version: 5.4.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: 33f5bc54aaa7fe7aa9335726e30f9c349155e04d
CPU Threads: 4; OS Version: Windows 6.2; UI Render: default; 
TinderBox: Win-x86@62-merge-TDF, Branch:MASTER, Time: 2016-12-01_23:21:05
Locale: nl-NL (nl_NL); Calc: CL
Comment 9 Justin L 2017-10-13 10:31:20 UTC
Created attachment 136950 [details]
tdf75281_minimal.doc: reduced test created by MSO2003

I wonder if this document is somehow corrupt. In this minimal test, if the first cell is selected and any change is made to the character font properties, then the document works fine. For example, if in MSO you make A1's contents bold, then A2's contents become visible in LO.

I don't think that it is worth investigating this particular bug.
Comment 10 QA Administrators 2018-10-14 02:57:48 UTC Comment hidden (spam)