Bug 75354 - EDITING: Base TABLE Editor not updating table FIELDS properly when both FIELD NAME and FILED TYPE are changed
Summary: EDITING: Base TABLE Editor not updating table FIELDS properly when both FIELD...
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Base (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
Inherited From OOo
Hardware: x86 (IA32) Linux (All)
: medium major
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: Database-Tables
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2014-02-22 06:43 UTC by Kevin Suo
Modified: 2019-04-12 10:02 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Kevin Suo 2014-02-22 06:43:50 UTC
In LibreOffice Base, the Table Editor is not updating table FIELDS properly when both FIELD NAME and FILED TYPE are changed.

Steps to reproduce:
1. New base TABLE in design mode, Fields: 
ID (Integer, AutoVaule, Primary Key);
AGE (Tiny Interger).
Save.

2. OPEN the TABLE and insert a row of data:
AGE: 28
Save.

3. EDIT the TABLE fields:
change "AGE (Tiny Integer)" to "DATE_OF_BIRTH (Date)", save.
A warning window shows up.

4. When choose NO, the FIELD NAME is back to "AGE" and the save button is greyed-out. Close the EDIT window.

5. OPEN the above TABLE to see the columns and rows. You will see the 2nd column is "DATE_OF_BIRTH" rather than "AGE". However, in TABLE design mode (EDIT), the 2nd column is still "AGE". At this stage nothing can be done to correct the difference in EDIT mode.

6. Quit EDIT mode, go to VIEW and hit Refesh Tables, the field become "DATE_OF_BIRTH" in EDIT mode.

Expected:
Table editor accept the changes of FIELD NAME and FIELD TYPE, and refresh to shows the correct FIELD NAME and FIELD TYPE in step 5.

Ubuntu 13.10 x86, LibreOffice 4.1.5.3 and 4.2.1.1.
Comment 1 Kevin Suo 2014-02-22 06:45:18 UTC
Adding my earlier report Bug 75129 as "see also".
Comment 2 Robert Großkopf 2014-02-22 08:05:21 UTC
I could confirm the bug.
I created a table and saved it and put some values in the fields.
Then I opened it again for changed the name and the fieldtype for one field from "Age" and "TINYINT" to "Birthdate" and "DATE".
A warning appears:
The column "Birthadte" could not be changed ...
Notice: The name of the column has been "Age". "Birthdate" should be the new name. I could see in the background: The name has been changed to "Birthdate"
If I press "No" for changing the fieldtype to "DATE". The fieldtype isn't changed but the fieldname is also shon as if it isn't changed. There I could see "Age".
When I open the table for input I could see the renamend field "Birthdate". I have to go to View → Refresh Tables. After this action the table-editor noticed the new name "Birthdate".

This happens with all LO-Versions, beginning with LO 3.3.0Beta1. So I set the version to "Inherited from OOo".
Comment 3 Alex Thurgood 2015-01-03 17:38:34 UTC Comment hidden (no-value)
Comment 4 QA Administrators 2016-01-17 20:02:57 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 5 Robert Großkopf 2016-01-24 18:35:56 UTC
The bug still exists. 
Note: The fieldname has been changed, but isn't shown right while editing the table, only shown right while input new data.

The fieldtype couldn't be changed. Internal HSQLDB could not change a type from Tiny Integer to Date.

If you only want to change the fieldname this will work. So the dialog, which appears, is misleading.
Tested with LO 5.1.0.2 OpenSUSE 42.1 Leap 64bit rpm Linux
Comment 6 QA Administrators 2017-03-06 14:01:15 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 7 Robert Großkopf 2017-03-06 16:32:54 UTC
Bug still exists in LO 5.3.1.1, OpenSUSE Leap 42.1 64bit rpm Linux.

Note: The fieldname has been changed, but isn't shown right while editing the table, only shown right while input new data.
Comment 8 QA Administrators 2018-03-07 03:42:01 UTC
** Please read this message in its entirety before responding **

To make sure we're focusing on the bugs that affect our users today, LibreOffice QA is asking bug reporters and confirmers to retest open, confirmed bugs which have not been touched for over a year.

There have been thousands of bug fixes and commits since anyone checked on this bug report. During that time, it's possible that the bug has been fixed, or the details of the problem have changed. We'd really appreciate your help in getting confirmation that the bug is still present.

If you have time, please do the following:

Test to see if the bug is still present with the latest version of LibreOffice from https://www.libreoffice.org/download/

If the bug is present, please leave a comment that includes the information from Help - About LibreOffice.
 
If the bug is NOT present, please set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED-WORKSFORME and leave a comment that includes the information from Help - About LibreOffice.

Please DO NOT

Update the version field
Reply via email (please reply directly on the bug tracker)
Set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED - FIXED (this status has a particular meaning that is not 
appropriate in this case)


If you want to do more to help you can test to see if your issue is a REGRESSION. To do so:
1. Download and install oldest version of LibreOffice (usually 3.3 unless your bug pertains to a feature added after 3.3) from http://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/

2. Test your bug
3. Leave a comment with your results.
4a. If the bug was present with 3.3 - set version to 'inherited from OOo';
4b. If the bug was not present in 3.3 - add 'regression' to keyword


Feel free to come ask questions or to say hello in our QA chat: https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.freenode.net/#libreoffice-qa

Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!

Warm Regards,
QA Team

MassPing-UntouchedBug