Bug 81773 - Page Break settings not stored across sessions
Summary: Page Break settings not stored across sessions
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Calc (show other bugs)
(earliest affected) release
Hardware: x86 (IA32) Windows (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
Depends on:
Reported: 2014-07-26 05:25 UTC by helplibreoffice
Modified: 2014-09-16 03:36 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description helplibreoffice 2014-07-26 05:25:52 UTC
The setting:
 Tools -> Options -> LibreOffice Calc -> Page breaks
is not saved between sessions, unlike the other settings on that page.  It needs to be.
Comment 1 Joel Madero 2014-07-26 18:05:59 UTC
Ubuntu 14.04 x64
LibreOffice rc

@helplibreoffice -

We're here at the US hackfest and trying to triage this bug but we have a couple question:

1. We don't see "Page Breaks" in Tools -> Options -> LibreOffice Calc -> Page Breaks.

Are you talking about:
Tools -> Options -> LibreOffice Calc -> Print -> Always Apply Manual Breaks?

If so:
Are the below steps what you are doing:

1. Open Calc
2. Go into Tools -> Options -> LibreOffice Calc -> Print -> Always Apply Manual Breaks
3. Check the box
4. Close LibreOffice
5. Open new libreoffice instances and calc document

Result: Check mark is gone?

Expected: Check box is still checked?

Setting to NEEDINFO -> once you answer the above (and clarify if needed) please set the bug to UNCONFIRMED.

As always - thanks for your contributions
Comment 2 helplibreoffice 2014-07-27 03:44:41 UTC
Warm greetings Joel and everyone at the hackfest.

I was operating on minimal sleep when I wrote that, and I apologize I ommitted some details.

Here are the exact steps:
1. Open LO Calc
2. Click on Tools menu
3. Click on Options menuitem
4. Expand LibreOffice Calc in resultant dialog box
5. Click on 'View' item
6. Under 'Visual aids' heading, you will (hopefully) see 'Page breaks'

But I just tested it, and it seems to work fine.  So what was different less than 24 hours ago? The difference then was instead of performing Step 1, I was opening LO Calc by opening an existing spreadsheet, and then following steps 2-6.  When I do that, the issue is apparent, but may really be by design.

My understanding is that all the options under Tools -> Options are intended to be global.  However, is it by design that an individual document/spreadsheet can override those settings (with the scope being just the individual document/spreadsheet)?

If so, then I believe it is working by design.  My colleague and I both have anecdotal evidence that it sometimes does not work correctly, but my current tests do not reproduce the erroneous behavior.

If the design is that the options are global, but overrides are stored within a document and the scope of overrides is only that individual document, I recommend marking this NOTABUG unless someone else can reproduce the original problem.

In the course of testing this issue, when closing LO Calc, I encountered the following crash once (out of about 20 runs) on a test machine:

DDE Server Window: soffice.bin - Application
The instruction at "0x7c911689" referenced memory at "0xffffffff". The memory could not be "read".  Click on OK to terminate the program.

Please take no offense if I do not contribute for a while, as I must shift tasks or win the lottery.  Maybe the lottery this week will be in hexadecimal and the winning numbers will be 7-c-9-1-1-6-8-9.
Comment 3 raal 2014-09-12 20:02:56 UTC
you wrote "But I just tested it, and it seems to work fine.", so I'm closing this bug as worksforme. Feel free to set this bug as Unconfirmed if I misunderstood.
Comment 4 helplibreoffice 2014-09-16 03:36:01 UTC
I think you understood correctly.  However, there is the caveat that I'm not sure if the behavior is by design or a bug.

Maybe someone can take a look at it, and try it with both a new spreadsheet and an existing spreadsheet.  I'm not entirely sure what the intended behavior is supposed to be, so it's hard to know if it's a bug.  Sorry to be so vague... I have a pressing project that needs my attention.

Hopefully someone can adjust the status if it needs to be changed.