Download it now!
Bug 83060 - CJK: chinese words convertion USING too much RAM
Summary: CJK: chinese words convertion USING too much RAM
Status: RESOLVED INVALID
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
4.3.0.4 release
Hardware: Other Linux (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard: BSA
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: CJK
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2014-08-25 12:13 UTC by Wu Zhihong
Modified: 2015-06-08 14:27 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
an example of the file "chinese converted" (261.50 KB, application/x-7z-compressed)
2014-08-25 12:13 UTC, Wu Zhihong
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Wu Zhihong 2014-08-25 12:13:08 UTC
Created attachment 105236 [details]
an example of the file "chinese converted"

Problem description: 
I'm converting traditional Chinese words into simplified Chinese in a 50MB txt, and I split it into 59 pieces using Textforever, 1MB per file. I each open the txt in libreoffice writer of the version mentioned above and click "tools --> language --> chinese conversion". It acts well at first, using about 45MB RAM. After conversion of a txt finished, I close the file and open another. Then when the number of the files that had been converted accumulates up to 5 or more, I noticed in the KDE System Guard(ksysguard)  that libreoffice is consuming about 825MB RAM (soffice.bin). And as my computer has only 1 GB RAM, both the system and libreoffice UI is responding rather slowly. But the latter can still convert my file at a slower speed. My processor is AMD Athlon dual core 64 and runs KDE smoothly.


additional information:
Then I have two choice. One is to quit libreoffice. But ksysguard shows SOFFICE.BIN is still running in the background, taking as much RAM as it does before libreoffice quits. So I have to end the process manually every time. The other is continue using libreoffice. But I often end up pressing "CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE" to kill xserver because I can't see any responding on my desktop and libreoffice.

In fact, I don't know whether it's a problem of libreoffice or one of the Chinese conversion module. And I even disabled libreoffice's JRE but nothing turns better. My install way is to pick up official rpm in your website and run "rpm -i *.rpm", and earlier I have removed the openSUSE's libreoffice package 4.1.

  I'm not a English speaker and may not describe correctly. I hope you find out the bug. And I knows little about bug-reporting.             
Operating System: openSUSE
Version: 4.3.0.4 release
Comment 1 Matthew Francis 2014-10-30 14:48:23 UTC
I couldn't reproduce this on LibreOffice 4.3.2.2 or 4.4 master
Could you possibly update your LibreOffice and try again?

Thanks

(setting status to NEEDINFO)
Comment 2 QA Administrators 2015-05-06 14:15:21 UTC
Dear Bug Submitter,

This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least
6 months. Please provide the requested information as soon as
possible and mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug
tracker maintenance, if the bug is still in NEEDINFO status with
no change in 30 days the QA team will close the bug as INVALID
due to lack of needed information.

For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the
wiki located here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Bugzilla/Fields/Status/NEEDINFO

If you have already provided the requested information, please
mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the
bug is ready to be confirmed.
 
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!


Warm Regards,
QA Team
Comment 3 QA Administrators 2015-06-08 14:27:15 UTC
Dear Bug Submitter,

Please read this message in its entirety before proceeding.

Your bug report is being closed as INVALID due to inactivity and
a lack of information which is needed in order to accurately
reproduce and confirm the problem. We encourage you to retest
your bug against the latest release. If the issue is still
present in the latest stable release, we need the following
information (please ignore any that you've already provided):

a) Provide details of your system including your operating
   system and the latest version of LibreOffice that you have
   confirmed the bug to be present

b) Provide easy to reproduce steps – the simpler the better

c) Provide any test case(s) which will help us confirm the problem

d) Provide screenshots of the problem if you think it might help

e) Read all comments and provide any requested information

Once all of this is done, please set the bug back to UNCONFIRMED
and we will attempt to reproduce the issue. Please do not:

a) respond via email 

b) update the version field in the bug or any of the other details
   on the top section of our bug tracker

-- The LibreOffice QA Team 

This INVALID Message was generated on: 2015-05-06

Warm Regards,
QA Team