Bug Hunting Session
Bug 86601 - CONTEXT MENU: Easy access to lock object position and size
Summary: CONTEXT MENU: Easy access to lock object position and size
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: UI (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
Inherited From OOo
Hardware: Other All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: needsDevEval, topicUI
Depends on:
Blocks: ImpressDraw-Toolbars Context-Menu
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2014-11-23 02:42 UTC by Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired)
Modified: 2017-04-22 17:48 UTC (History)
6 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2014-11-23 02:42:31 UTC
Locking an object's size and position are useful features to have quick access to, so it would be good to have easy access to it from the context menu. Presently a user needs to go open the 'position and size' dialog in order to access these features. So i'd like to suggest a single entry be added to the context menu, possibly titled 'Lock', and would contain 3 radio buttons in its submenu for 'None', 'Size', and 'Position'.
Comment 1 A (Andy) 2014-11-23 09:48:36 UTC
Hi Jay:

What do you mean with "contain 3 radio buttons in its submenu for 'None', 'Size', and 'Position'".  How would this look like and how would this work?
Comment 2 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2014-11-23 10:31:52 UTC
Hi Andy,

If you add an image in a document and you open up the context menu, you have idea in the anchor submenu.
Comment 3 A (Andy) 2014-11-23 10:48:34 UTC
(In reply to Jay Philips from comment #2)
> Hi Andy,
> 
> If you add an image in a document and you open up the context menu, you have
> idea in the anchor submenu.

Hi Jay, 

Thank you for your reply.
Ok, then you would have three submenus, but what then?  Would there then dialogue boxes be opened for Size and Position?  Sorry, that I didn't get it yet, maybe I am thinking in the wrong direction.  Therefore, sorry that I am asking so many questions. ;-)  You probably don't have a sketch how this would look?
Comment 4 Cor Nouws 2014-11-23 12:58:35 UTC
(In reply to Jay Philips from comment #0)
> Locking an object's size and position are useful features to have quick
> access to, so it would be good to have easy access to it from the context
> menu.

IMO it's a advantage that it's not easy accessible and that users with tittle experience are not in risk of changing the setting by accident.
Comment 5 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2014-11-23 13:18:24 UTC
(In reply to A (Andy) from comment #3)
> Hi Jay, 

Hi Andy,

> Thank you for your reply.
> Ok, then you would have three submenus, but what then?  Would there then
> dialogue boxes be opened for Size and Position?  Sorry, that I didn't get it
> yet, maybe I am thinking in the wrong direction.  Therefore, sorry that I am
> asking so many questions. ;-)  You probably don't have a sketch how this
> would look?

'Lock' submenu would have 3 items and they would set the lock behaviour the same as if you opened 'position and size' and clicked on protect position or protect size. No probs about the questions. :D Sketch isnt really needed in this instance as we have multiple examples of this same behavior.
Comment 6 Robinson Tryon (qubit) 2014-12-21 22:33:30 UTC
Merry UX-mas, all!

Status -> NEW
Comment 7 Heiko Tietze 2016-05-24 12:33:34 UTC
Position and size are not exclusively locked, at least in Writer, which means the menu contains of [ ] Position, [ ] Size (both check boxes) meaning None when both are unchecked.

Sounds like an EASYHACK.
Comment 8 Cor Nouws 2016-05-28 10:18:59 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf (Jay) Philips from comment #0)
> Locking an object's size and position are useful features to have quick
> access to, so it would be good to have easy access to it from the context
> menu.

I can imagine that in business environments one wants some images to be (pseudo) "locked" and not have the risk that normal users find easy way's to change that.
I would really prefer this to remain a bit hidden.
Comment 9 Cor Nouws 2016-05-28 10:19:34 UTC
thus looking for more opinions here
Comment 10 Samuel Mehrbrodt (CIB) 2016-05-30 06:29:45 UTC
(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #8)
> I can imagine that in business environments one wants some images to be
> (pseudo) "locked" and not have the risk that normal users find easy way's to
> change that.
> I would really prefer this to remain a bit hidden.

I kind of understand this and also would tend to say it's enough for this to be in the dialog, no need in context menu (It's usually a thing you activate once and do not change every day).
Comment 11 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2016-05-31 12:44:31 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #7)
> Position and size are not exclusively locked, at least in Writer, which
> means the menu contains of [ ] Position, [ ] Size (both check boxes) meaning
> None when both are unchecked.

Standard objects (shapes, textboxes, images not in Writer, OLEs not in Writer) open the position and size dialog where in position and size can exclusively be locked, in that when position is locked, size is also locked.

(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #8)
> I can imagine that in business environments one wants some images to be
> (pseudo) "locked" and not have the risk that normal users find easy way's to
> change that.
> I would really prefer this to remain a bit hidden.

If images or other objects are intended to be locked from editing by other users of a document, there are means of lock content of a document, but hiding functionality from normal users who would like to perform the same functional with easy isnt the correct approach.

(In reply to Samuel Mehrbrodt (CIB) from comment #10)
> I kind of understand this and also would tend to say it's enough for this to
> be in the dialog, no need in context menu (It's usually a thing you activate
> once and do not change every day).

The context menu is to hold contextual functionality that is regularly used, whether it be the setting or unsetting of the feature. In Impress, the position and size dialog is the most opened dialog according to the OOo stat and the checking and unchecking of the position and size checkboxes are highly used. Also, the functionality is also being implemented into the sidebar (bug 90295).
Comment 12 Heiko Tietze 2016-06-28 15:13:50 UTC
NEEDINFO for the code pointers.
Comment 13 Xisco Faulí 2016-09-15 15:26:56 UTC
Removing keyword 'needsDevEval' as this bug is an easyHack
Comment 14 Xisco Faulí 2016-09-27 10:36:10 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)