Bug 87812 - SIDEBAR: More animation information in list control
Summary: SIDEBAR: More animation information in list control
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Impress (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
4.5.0.0.alpha0+ Master
Hardware: Other All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Akshay Deep
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard: target:5.2.0
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: Sidebar-Custom-Animation
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2014-12-29 01:00 UTC by Yousuf Philips (jay)
Modified: 2016-10-23 19:12 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
animation list tab in various presentation apps (100.86 KB, image/png)
2014-12-29 01:00 UTC, Yousuf Philips (jay)
Details
Added Effect Name to Custom Animation List Entry (111.50 KB, image/png)
2016-02-16 17:46 UTC, Akshay Deep
Details
2-line mockups (34.78 KB, image/png)
2016-02-16 19:44 UTC, Yousuf Philips (jay)
Details
Alternative ideas for animations sidebar (67.21 KB, image/png)
2016-02-17 10:46 UTC, Heiko Tietze
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Yousuf Philips (jay) 2014-12-29 01:00:31 UTC
Created attachment 111443 [details]
animation list tab in various presentation apps

In the custom animation tab of the sidebar in impress, the animation effects list control shows 3 pieces of information per entry - how the animation starts, what category the effect belongs to, and the name of the object. Only the name of the object is written as text, while the other two are represented as images, with no means to understand what they could mean unless you clicked on each entry.

It would be useful to be able to know more information from a glance without having to click on each one of the entries, most importantly i would assume would be the effect name. It possible, a tooltip might also come in handy for mentioning stuff as well.

Here are what other presentation apps show in the animation sidebars:

Google Docs: Mini Object Preview, Effect Name, Effect Action
Powerpoint: Order Number, Effect Category, Object Name
iWork Keynote: Order Number, Object Type, Effect Name
WPS Presentation: Order Number, Effect Action, Effect Category, Object Name
Comment 1 A (Andy) 2015-01-01 11:22:40 UTC
I agree it should be improved.  Because I don't know the meaning of the images from memory the images have currently no real meaning for me.  Therefore, to have a tooltip would be very good.  But for this we would also need an image for the start "With previous".

Maybe, it could also be good to have an order number.

Furthermore, I think it would be very good to have the effect name, because currently you would need to press Modify Effect button to see it (the image shows only the category, but with no tooltip, therefore little meaningfulness).  In Bug 87813 Jay also proposes to add the category and effect name list boxes into the Sidebar, which I like.  This would also be very good in this case, because if you click on an effect then not only the category image but also its name and the effect name could be shown in the bottom as it also already done in the case of how the animation starts.
Comment 2 Yousuf Philips (jay) 2015-01-01 12:21:21 UTC
(In reply to A (Andy) from comment #1)
> I agree it should be improved.  Because I don't know the meaning of the
> images from memory the images have currently no real meaning for me. 

I believe if the images were larger, they would be clearer and would likely make more sense. :D

> Therefore, to have a tooltip would be very good.  But for this we would also
> need an image for the start "With previous".

Yes i also noticed that there was no image for it as well. :D

> Maybe, it could also be good to have an order number.

I believe that it is understandable without it (google doesnt have it either), but we do have some empty white space to the left of each animation that it could easily fit into.

> Furthermore, I think it would be very good to have the effect name, because
> currently you would need to press Modify Effect button to see it (the image
> shows only the category, but with no tooltip, therefore little
> meaningfulness).

The effect name is visible without clicking the modify effect button, though i believe it is not in the best place, which is likely why you didnt notice it (i did also before). When you click on an entry, the effect name appears above the 'Start:' label and drop down, in the 'Effect' heading.
Comment 3 Akshay Deep 2016-02-16 17:46:42 UTC
Created attachment 122695 [details]
Added Effect Name to Custom Animation List Entry

This probably is not the best way to represent effect name in the custom animation list. Need feedback. Thanks :)
Comment 4 Yousuf Philips (jay) 2016-02-16 19:44:42 UTC
Created attachment 122700 [details]
2-line mockups

(In reply to Akshay Deep from comment #3)
> This probably is not the best way to represent effect name in the custom
> animation list. Need feedback. Thanks :)

If its only possible to have a single line, then i would change it to

Effect Name (Object Name)

or

Effect Name: Object Name

But if it is possible to have multiple lines per entry, please have a look at the 3 mockup examples attached. Object icons were pulled from the Navigator window and were used as a means of making it easy for a user to find objects based on their icon.

Side note: Can you adjust the left and top margins to both equal 20px rather than left margin being 30px and top margin being 0px.
Comment 5 Akshay Deep 2016-02-17 09:18:38 UTC
> If its only possible to have a single line, then i would change it to
> 
> Effect Name (Object Name)
> 
> or
> 
> Effect Name: Object Name

We should prefer the second representation. 
Reason: Suppose Object Name is long. If we use the first, we would have to guess the part of object name that user can see in the list before "..." appears and include it in brackets. Moreover, if we change the size of sidebar, the part of object name which user can view is changed.

Patch: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/22403/

> 
> But if it is possible to have multiple lines per entry, please have a look
> at the 3 mockup examples attached. Object icons were pulled from the
> Navigator window and were used as a means of making it easy for a user to
> find objects based on their icon.
> 

The current implementation does not provide for multiple lines per entry I suppose. The treeview implementation need to be modified.

> Side note: Can you adjust the left and top margins to both equal 20px rather
> than left margin being 30px and top margin being 0px.

I looked overall but could not find any code where left margin of list item or left-padding of listbox is set. Hence, It must be inheriting it from the custom widget "sdlo-CustomAnimationList", defined in glade-catalog. I don't know how to modify custom widgets. Any help in this would be great.
Comment 6 Heiko Tietze 2016-02-17 10:46:45 UTC
Created attachment 122717 [details]
Alternative ideas for animations sidebar

To recap the requirements:
* Sequence (1..n)
* Target (Shape 1..n)
* Animation type (Entrance, Emphasis...) and characteristic (e.g. fly in)
* Highly relevant options (e.g. animation speed)
* Less relevant options (e.g. animation sound)
* Interactions (Move up/down, add/delete animation, preview, auto preview)

Small sidebars or rather long object names have to be taken into account. Either the full text could be shown in tooltips or in multiple lines. 

My contribution to the discussion is to use an accordion (or the like) and show the controls at the selection (instead of having a separate list of animations and a static place for effects). I moved 'Add Animation' to the bottom and flattened the animation type structure by providing access to the characteristic only. The left most mockup is intentionally very small to show how it looks with an extreme size and to illustrate the ellipsis (tooltip would show the full text). The middle mockup expands the options to provide access to (almost) all features. Goody is the better placement of the details selection such as the (disabled) color picker right hand when 'After Animation' is set to 'Dim with Color'.

But after all I think the sidebar should rather provide quick access to the most relevant features. Expanding a dropdown is one click more than a simple selection. So the right mockup contains of toggle buttons and a slider for the most relevant properties - and the access to the dialog with all features.

Drawback of the accordion is that selecting objects/shapes wouldn't select the respective animations easily. And a multiselection of objects, for instance in order to change the speed for all animations, isn't possible as well.
Comment 7 Yousuf Philips (jay) 2016-02-17 14:07:15 UTC
(In reply to Akshay Deep from comment #5)
> We should prefer the second representation. 
> Reason: Suppose Object Name is long. If we use the first, we would have to
> guess the part of object name that user can see in the list before "..."
> appears and include it in brackets. Moreover, if we change the size of
> sidebar, the part of object name which user can view is changed.
> 
> Patch: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/22403/

Seems this behaviour to replace the shape name with the shape's automatically generated name is something new in 5.1 and in my view not a good improvement, especially when objects get names like 'Bitmap with transparency 1'.

> The current implementation does not provide for multiple lines per entry I
> suppose. The treeview implementation need to be modified.

:(

> > Side note: Can you adjust the left and top margins to both equal 20px rather
> > than left margin being 30px and top margin being 0px.
> 
> I looked overall but could not find any code where left margin of list item
> or left-padding of listbox is set. Hence, It must be inheriting it from the
> custom widget "sdlo-CustomAnimationList", defined in glade-catalog. I don't
> know how to modify custom widgets. Any help in this would be great.

@Maxim, @Samuel: Any insight here?

@Akshay: Are the tooltips possible for the icons?

(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #6)
> Created attachment 122717 [details]
> Alternative ideas for animations sidebar

Mockups were nice (you love your accordion), though it would require a complete revamp of the UI, which is beyond this enhancement. Maybe open up a new enhancement to see what others think of the redesign.
Comment 8 Akshay Deep 2016-02-17 16:40:35 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf (Jay) Philips from comment #4)
> Created attachment 122700 [details]
> 2-line mockups
 
> But if it is possible to have multiple lines per entry, please have a look
> at the 3 mockup examples attached. Object icons were pulled from the
> Navigator window and were used as a means of making it easy for a user to
> find objects based on their icon.
> 

I have figured out a way to represent multiple lines per entry, will come up with a patch soon. I'll try to pull Object icons from navigator window. Thanks for the suggestion :)
Comment 9 Commit Notification 2016-03-04 07:24:23 UTC
Akshay Deep committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=5351188c8ea2426e9545543646a40dc6d6df1a14

tdf#87812 - SIDEBAR: More animation information in list control

It will be available in 5.2.0.

The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds

Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.
Comment 10 Commit Notification 2016-03-10 08:31:52 UTC
Akshay Deep committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=b3a28e359a527a307edf843e8590c2a73591cfe3

tdf#87812: SIDEBAR: More animation information in list control

It will be available in 5.2.0.

The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds

Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.