Bug Hunting Session
Bug 88489 - Highlight All in Find Bar
Summary: Highlight All in Find Bar
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: UI (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
Inherited From OOo
Hardware: All All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
: 88805 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks: Find-Search
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2015-01-16 10:48 UTC by Helge Hielscher
Modified: 2017-07-22 08:58 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
search results window (12.16 KB, image/png)
2015-01-17 13:47 UTC, raal
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Helge Hielscher 2015-01-16 10:48:24 UTC
It would be nice to have an "Highlight" all button in the find bar that highlights (or selects) all occurrences of the search string with a single click, like in Firefox.
It should not open a new window like "Find all" does.
Comment 1 raal 2015-01-16 13:40:34 UTC
Valid enhancement. This can be other option in find bar. Setting to NEW.
Comment 2 Adolfo Jayme 2015-01-16 21:29:04 UTC
This is similar to what I suggested in bug 87998 comment 3.
Comment 3 Cor Nouws 2015-01-17 10:26:29 UTC
Hmm, sorry, but there's something I do not understand.
Just looking in 4.4.0.2, Ubuntu
type 'foo' in find bar, hit 'Find all' and all 'foo' in my text is selected.

Can you pls check that?
Comment 4 raal 2015-01-17 11:38:41 UTC
(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #3)
> Hmm, sorry, but there's something I do not understand.
> Just looking in 4.4.0.2, Ubuntu
> type 'foo' in find bar, hit 'Find all' and all 'foo' in my text is selected.
> 
> Can you pls check that?

Yes, but window "Search Results" appear.
This enhancement is about new button "Highlight All" in Find bar - similar to "Find All", but without "Search Result" window.

Version: 4.5.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: a272f5b7b30f356418ecf28eb95d066f081d1624
TinderBox: Linux-rpm_deb-x86_64@46-TDF, Branch:master, Time: 2015-01-09_09:50:59
Comment 5 Cor Nouws 2015-01-17 13:21:39 UTC
(In reply to raal from comment #4)
> Yes, but window "Search Results" appear.

Not for me, as you could read from my comment ;)
How does that window look?
Comment 6 raal 2015-01-17 13:47:13 UTC
Created attachment 112392 [details]
search results window

search result window
Comment 7 Cor Nouws 2015-01-17 14:07:32 UTC
Ah. Is this an issue for Calc or for Writer ??

In Calc all items are highlighted too, as requested in the original comment...
???
Comment 8 raal 2015-01-17 14:20:09 UTC
(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #7)
> Ah. Is this an issue for Calc or for Writer ??
> 
previously Component 	Spreadsheet 

> In Calc all items are highlighted too, as requested in the original
> comment...
> ???
yes
Comment 9 Cor Nouws 2015-01-18 10:50:52 UTC
Hi raal,

So as far as I understand this, the current behaviour is just what is asked, with the only difference that the pop up 'search results' is not shown?

(In issue 87965 the request is to make that optional when using the search&replace dialog.)

However, on large spreadsheets it may be very convenient if this result window is shown, also after find all in the search bar.

So if all above is correct, then:
a. the summary of this issue is plain wrong
b. I'm not convinced that removing that window is a good idea.
Comment 10 raal 2015-01-18 11:34:40 UTC
(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #9)
Hi Cor,

> Hi raal,
> 
> So as far as I understand this, the current behaviour is just what is asked,
> with the only difference that the pop up 'search results' is not shown?
> 
> (In issue 87965 the request is to make that optional when using the
> search&replace dialog.)

I thoughts just create 2 buttons. But this two bugs are similar and only one can win, I think:

variant A)  implement bug 87965 -  one button , result window is optional
variant B)  implement bug 88489 -  two buttons - with and without Result window

> 
> However, on large spreadsheets it may be very convenient if this result
> window is shown, also after find all in the search bar.

yes , I propose to have 2 buttons - Find All & Highlight All. Also on large spreadsheets is Result window performance loss if you have lots of results.

> 
> So if all above is correct, then:
> a. the summary of this issue is plain wrong
> b. I'm not convinced that removing that window is a good idea.

with 2 buttons is all true/correct
Comment 11 Helge Hielscher 2015-01-18 18:02:22 UTC
Ideally I would prefer the cells to be highlighted so that the highlight sticks even when selection changes, again just like in Firefox.
But to have select without a result window would be an improvement already.
The selection window is still needed when you want to see the results on multiple sheets.
Comment 12 Cor Nouws 2015-01-18 19:41:00 UTC
(In reply to Helge Hielscher from comment #11)
> Ideally I would prefer the cells to be highlighted so that the highlight
> sticks even when selection changes, again just like in Firefox.

With "when selection changes" you mean that the highlighting remains when you click on another cell?
I think that's rather unlikely to be implemented, because it completely differs from current situation.

> But to have select without a result window would be an improvement already.
> The selection window is still needed when you want to see the results on
> multiple sheets.

OK, thanks.
Comment 13 Heiko Tietze 2017-07-22 08:58:28 UTC
*** Bug 88805 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***