Bug 89452 - Unable to preserve UTF8 in command line conversion from CSV
Summary: Unable to preserve UTF8 in command line conversion from CSV
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 36313
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: filters and storage (show other bugs)
(earliest affected) release
Hardware: Other All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
Depends on:
Reported: 2015-02-18 21:48 UTC by Bill C Riemers
Modified: 2015-02-18 21:55 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Bill C Riemers 2015-02-18 21:48:46 UTC
Let me prefix this entry, by saying this might not be a bug, but might simply not being able to find adequate documentation.

What I am trying to do is convert UTF8 encoded CSV files into a compressed spreadsheet format.  The simpliest way to try this is:

oocalc --headless --convert-to ods *.csv

The output from this command ends up being huge, because it is uncompressed XML.   However, some formats will give a binary output such as:

oocalc --headless --convert-to xls *.csv

Either way, I observe all the non-ASCII-7 characters are mangled in the output files.

I am able to successfully convert files when using the UI, but for a large number of files, that is very slow...

It seems it should be possible to specify an input filter that works, it is just none of the websites I found are documenting the correct parameters to use for UTF8 comma separate files.
Comment 1 Bill C Riemers 2015-02-18 21:54:32 UTC
I found the solution is the comments for bug 36313.  I turns out UTF8 needs to be the last input filter value, not the first as shown in many of the examples...

Upon careful reading of 36313, I've concluded my bug is a duplicate of that bug.
Comment 2 Bill C Riemers 2015-02-18 21:55:25 UTC

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 36313 ***