Bug 89611 - TOC: Undos lost after modifying index/table of contents
Summary: TOC: Undos lost after modifying index/table of contents
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
3.4.6 release
Hardware: Other All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: preBibisect, regression
: 119878 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks: TableofContents-Indexes Undo-Redo
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2015-02-24 09:23 UTC by Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired)
Modified: 2018-10-05 15:07 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2015-02-24 09:23:21 UTC
Steps:
1) Open a document with structure that is fine for the creation of a TOC
2) Add the TOC
3) Notice that the Undo is active
4) Right-click > Edit Index/Table
5) Goto column tab and set it to 2 columns and press OK
6) Notice that the Undo is now inactive

This is a regression as this worked correctly in 3.3.0.

Version: 4.5.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: 4cf69df2f543b023f4ec3d4279c5ac11a2a819d9
TinderBox: Linux-rpm_deb-x86@45-TDF, Branch:master, Time: 2015-02-21_03:46:34
Comment 1 A (Andy) 2015-02-24 19:11:57 UTC
Reproducible with LO 4.4.0.3, Win 8.1
Comment 2 Robinson Tryon (qubit) 2015-03-05 16:44:33 UTC
(In reply to Jay Philips from comment #0)
> This is a regression as this worked correctly in 3.3.0.

Might not be bibisectable, but will need to check to be sure
Whiteboard -> bibisectRequest
Comment 3 Matthew Francis 2015-03-19 16:19:18 UTC
Confirm that this works in 3.3.0 on OSX, but it's already broken in 3.4.6.2, so preBibisect
Comment 4 Gan 2015-10-26 19:44:07 UTC
Reproduced this in the latest release 5.0.2.2
Comment 5 blendergeek 2015-11-12 17:53:49 UTC
Reproducible with the latest nightly build of LibreOfficeDev 5.1.0.0.alpha1.
Comment 6 Robinson Tryon (qubit) 2015-12-14 05:40:02 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 7 Johnny_M 2016-07-27 20:35:04 UTC
The "undo" history is also lost on an update of any index (TOC, Illustration Index, Index of Tables, etc.), either via its context menu or Tools -> Update -> Update All.

The issue could lead to a data loss, if one wishes to return to a previous, unsaved document state.
Comment 8 Michael Stahl (CIB) 2017-02-07 14:59:48 UTC
i disagree that clearing the Undo history should be considered dataLoss
- by that logic, every crash would be a dataLoss too, and we'd need
a new keyword for the i-load-a-file-and-store-it-and-oops-my-text-is-gone
disasters.
Comment 9 Johnny_M 2017-02-25 18:19:54 UTC
(In reply to Michael Stahl from comment #8)
> i disagree that clearing the Undo history should be considered dataLoss
> - by that logic, every crash would be a dataLoss too, and we'd need
> a new keyword for the i-load-a-file-and-store-it-and-oops-my-text-is-gone
> disasters.

I don't now. One could argue that it's worse than a crash in terms of data loss. Because in the case of a crash there are recent backups which can be restored on the next start. While with this issue, one would need to purposely crash LO to get to those. A normal user would not know that - they would just consider the data lost. And the backups would be purged on the next regular LO shutdown.

But this might be another duplicate of the bug 38703.
Comment 10 QA Administrators 2018-04-22 02:31:51 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 11 Buovjaga 2018-10-05 15:07:21 UTC
*** Bug 119878 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***