I had an odf file, which was created with LibreOffice Writer 4.2, that used a png image for the header background. The image was still there when opened with LibreOffice 220.127.116.11. However, after saving and re-opening the file, the image is gone. I also noticed that the file size is about half the original and can no longer be opened with 7-Zip as an archive, so I'm guessing that there were some significant changes to the save code in 4.3 or 4.4 that introduced this bug.
1. Create a new document with Writer 18.104.22.168
2. Insert -> Header -> Default Style
3. Header -> Format Header... -> More...
4. Area -> Fill with 'Bitmap'
5. Import Graphic... -> Select some png file
6. Uncheck 'Tile' and 'AutoFit'
7. OK -> OK
8. Save as a new file and close Writer
9. Open the saved file, the image is no longer there
Only tested on Windows 8.1, but I'm guessing that it would affect all other OSes as well.
Reproducible with LO 22.214.171.124, Win 8.1
Note to Step 3:
PAGE -> tab FORMAT HEADER -> MORE...
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 89245 ***