Download it now!
Bug 96231 - FILEOPEN: text missing when loading a .RTF file
Summary: FILEOPEN: text missing when loading a .RTF file
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: filters and storage (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
4.3.0.4 release
Hardware: All Windows (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: possibleRegression
Depends on:
Blocks: RTF
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2015-12-03 16:50 UTC by Alex
Modified: 2017-04-05 20:10 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
When this files get opened by Word, Notepad or Libre Office 4.2.5.2 the content shows complete. With Liber Office 4.3 or later there is missing text. (19.50 KB, application/msword)
2015-12-03 16:50 UTC, Alex
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Alex 2015-12-03 16:50:59 UTC
Created attachment 120999 [details]
When this files get opened by Word, Notepad or Libre Office 4.2.5.2 the content shows complete. With Liber Office 4.3 or later there is missing text.

We have several RTF files that when they get opened with Libre Office 4.3 and later there is missing text in the content. However when the same files are opened by an older version of Libre Office 4.2.5.2 the content looks good. Furthermore the same file can be perfectly open and displayed by Office Word or Word Pad.
Comment 1 Cor Nouws 2015-12-03 20:02:56 UTC
Hi Alex,

Thanks for filing this.
Now I open the file in 4.1.5.3, 4.2.8.2, 4.4.7.1 and a fresh daily build (*) and see no difference... (Ubuntu 32 bits)

Can you attach a screen shot showing what is missing please?

thanks!
Cor

*) Version: 5.2.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: 4f088f78050ec1c831b31b3bf3d4e8d5197c7daa
Threads 2; Ver: 4.2; Render: default;
Comment 2 MM 2015-12-04 20:52:03 UTC
I also don't see any problems under ubuntu 14.04 x64 or mint 17.2 x64 with v4.4.7.2 and v5.0.4.1.
But I do see the problem when runnning under windows 7 x64 with v4.4.7.2 and windows 10 x64 with v5.0.3.2 / 5.0.4.1.

Missing text:

Adding stiff
Sent from IBM Verse

Rrrrrrrrrr
Hhhhhhhhhhhh
Sent from IBM Verse

Diffidence bbbbhhbhhhh
Hjjjjjjjjjmmvgg
Sent from IBM Verse
Comment 3 Alex 2015-12-09 15:35:05 UTC
(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #1)
> Hi Alex,
> 
> Thanks for filing this.
> Now I open the file in 4.1.5.3, 4.2.8.2, 4.4.7.1 and a fresh daily build (*)
> and see no difference... (Ubuntu 32 bits)
> 
> Can you attach a screen shot showing what is missing please?
> 
> thanks!
> Cor
> 
> *) Version: 5.2.0.0.alpha0+
> Build ID: 4f088f78050ec1c831b31b3bf3d4e8d5197c7daa
> Threads 2; Ver: 4.2; Render: default;

Hi Cor

Our system runs on Windows so the problem should show up in there. Not sure about Unix. From the email you guys already figured that out. Please let me know if you need more info in addition to the problem file. Our customers are facing this problem and they don't want to downgrade.  Thanks for looking into it.

Alex
Comment 4 Alex 2015-12-09 15:42:19 UTC
(In reply to MM from comment #2)
> I also don't see any problems under ubuntu 14.04 x64 or mint 17.2 x64 with
> v4.4.7.2 and v5.0.4.1.
> But I do see the problem when runnning under windows 7 x64 with v4.4.7.2 and
> windows 10 x64 with v5.0.3.2 / 5.0.4.1.
> 
> Missing text:
> 
> Adding stiff
> Sent from IBM Verse
> 
> Rrrrrrrrrr
> Hhhhhhhhhhhh
> Sent from IBM Verse
> 
> Diffidence bbbbhhbhhhh
> Hjjjjjjjjjmmvgg
> Sent from IBM Verse

Yes, this is the missing text. Just to give you a background where that file came from. There is an email app for Android, IBM Lotus traveler, used to send email messages to a Domino server. Our application gets the email body from the server in RTF format. The missing text seems to happen when a user forwards a message to another user and this adds comments. It might not be relevant for you to know this but if you need more info from me please let me know. Thanks for looking into it.

Alex
Comment 5 Cor Nouws 2015-12-09 20:32:47 UTC
Hi Alex,

(In reply to Alex from comment #4)

> Yes, this is the missing text. Just to give you a background where that file
> came from. There is an email app for Android, IBM Lotus traveler, used to
> send email messages to a Domino server. Our application gets the email body
> from the server in RTF format. The missing text seems to happen when a user
> forwards a message to another user and this adds comments. It might not be
> relevant for you to know this but if you need more info from me please let
> me know. Thanks for looking into it.

Thanks for confirming.
You may consider to look for professional support. http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/professional-support/ since in general it's hard to foresee when what problems are picked up by developers. But of course there is no obligation in that.

Ciao - Cor
Comment 6 tommy27 2016-12-17 07:14:10 UTC
I see no missing text using LibO 5.2.3.3 under Win8.1 x64
please retest with latest release and tell if issue persists.

NEEDINFO until then.
set it back to NEW if issue is still present or WORKSFORME if bug's gone
Comment 7 raal 2017-04-05 20:10:30 UTC
Cannot reproduce with  5.3.0.3 (x64), win7