Download it now!
Bug 98165 - Vertical text alignment problem with Japanese text
Summary: Vertical text alignment problem with Japanese text
Status: RESOLVED INSUFFICIENTDATA
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
unspecified
Hardware: All All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: CJK
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2016-02-24 22:15 UTC by Stéphane Aulery
Modified: 2016-11-08 13:03 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
Sample source document (182.13 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text)
2016-02-24 22:16 UTC, Stéphane Aulery
Details
Sample PDF output (210.00 KB, application/pdf)
2016-02-24 22:17 UTC, Stéphane Aulery
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Stéphane Aulery 2016-02-24 22:15:25 UTC
From: Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: libreoffice-writer: Vertical text alignment problem with Japanese text
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 21:52:59 +0900

[Message part 1 (text/plain, inline)]

Package: libreoffice-writer
Version: 1:4.1.3-1+b1
Severity: normal

The vertical text alignment always bothered me and made me use non-free
fonts.  Problem seems to be in several places.
 * libreoffice screen rendering
 * libreoffice PDF/printing output
 * reference font cordinates of Japanese fonts seems to be inconsistent

Almost all FreeFonts cause screen arrangement problem while its PDF
looks better (not perfect).

MS fonts are almost perfect for both (excluding FULL size Alphabet)

EPSON fonts are least problematic.

(Not included here but many Japanese fonts in the Windows 8 disk works
as good as MS font.)

I attache test odt file and PDF file generated by libreoffice.
(Containing screeshot so you know how things change)

Keep special attention on 2 alignment reference lines I placed.

The vertical line character for long sound has problem on some fonts and
these are font problem.

Since PDF file looks good enough, I think screen rendering engine of
libreoffice has room to be improved.

Regards,

Osamu
Comment 1 Stéphane Aulery 2016-02-24 22:16:38 UTC
Created attachment 122967 [details]
Sample source document
Comment 2 Stéphane Aulery 2016-02-24 22:17:04 UTC
Created attachment 122968 [details]
Sample PDF output
Comment 3 Robinson Tryon (qubit) 2016-03-11 05:11:00 UTC
TESTING with Ubuntu 14.04 +
LO 5.2.0.0.alpha0+ (2016-02-24_23:58:47)

(In reply to Stéphane Aulery from comment #0)
> The vertical text alignment always bothered me and made me use non-free
> fonts.
> ...
> Almost all FreeFonts cause screen arrangement problem while its PDF
> looks better (not perfect).
> 
> MS fonts are almost perfect for both (excluding FULL size Alphabet)
> ... 
> I attache test odt file and PDF file generated by libreoffice.
> (Containing screeshot so you know how things change)

If I understand correctly, the attached "Sample PDF output" shows a small sample of Japanese text displayed in a number of fonts (both free and non-free). The inset screenshot shows how LibreOffice displays the text in the running program, while the main document shows the result of LibreOffice export to PDF. Correct?

> Since PDF file looks good enough, I think screen rendering engine of
> libreoffice has room to be improved.

On this system, it appears that I currently have DROID SANS Japanese available (the rest are being substituted). Can you demonstrate the problem using fonts that ship/package with stock Debian/Ubuntu/LibreOffice?

It also appears that the provided PDF contains a different list/different arrangement of the fonts as compared to the ODT. Could you please harmonize these two? Thanks

Status -> NEEDINFO
Comment 4 Stéphane Aulery 2016-03-11 22:42:53 UTC
(In reply to Robinson Tryon (qubit) from comment #3)
> TESTING with Ubuntu 14.04 +
> LO 5.2.0.0.alpha0+ (2016-02-24_23:58:47)
> 
> (In reply to Stéphane Aulery from comment #0)
> > The vertical text alignment always bothered me and made me use non-free
> > fonts.
> > ...
> > Almost all FreeFonts cause screen arrangement problem while its PDF
> > looks better (not perfect).
> > 
> > MS fonts are almost perfect for both (excluding FULL size Alphabet)
> > ... 
> > I attache test odt file and PDF file generated by libreoffice.
> > (Containing screeshot so you know how things change)
> 
> If I understand correctly, the attached "Sample PDF output" shows a small
> sample of Japanese text displayed in a number of fonts (both free and
> non-free). The inset screenshot shows how LibreOffice displays the text in
> the running program, while the main document shows the result of LibreOffice
> export to PDF. Correct?

Yes, I think also.


> > Since PDF file looks good enough, I think screen rendering engine of
> > libreoffice has room to be improved.
> 
> On this system, it appears that I currently have DROID SANS Japanese
> available (the rest are being substituted). Can you demonstrate the problem
> using fonts that ship/package with stock Debian/Ubuntu/LibreOffice?
> 
> It also appears that the provided PDF contains a different list/different
> arrangement of the fonts as compared to the ODT. Could you please harmonize
> these two? Thanks

I forward what a Debian user reported. I have not looked in depth document, I do not feel competent in Japanese… I will try to learn more from the user.


> 
> Status -> NEEDINFO
Comment 5 Xisco Faulí 2016-10-10 11:25:23 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 6 QA Administrators 2016-11-08 13:03:40 UTC
Dear Bug Submitter,

Please read this message in its entirety before proceeding.

Your bug report is being closed as INSUFFICIENTDATA due to inactivity and
a lack of information which is needed in order to accurately
reproduce and confirm the problem. We encourage you to retest
your bug against the latest release. If the issue is still
present in the latest stable release, we need the following
information (please ignore any that you've already provided):

a) Provide details of your system including your operating
   system and the latest version of LibreOffice that you have
   confirmed the bug to be present

b) Provide easy to reproduce steps – the simpler the better

c) Provide any test case(s) which will help us confirm the problem

d) Provide screenshots of the problem if you think it might help

e) Read all comments and provide any requested information

Once all of this is done, please set the bug back to UNCONFIRMED
and we will attempt to reproduce the issue. Please do not:

a) respond via email 

b) update the version field in the bug or any of the other details
   on the top section of our bug tracker

Warm Regards,
QA Team

MassPing-NeedInfo-20161108