Created attachment 124111 [details]
current vs two mockups
While watching a video tutorial i noticed now badly aligned the header and footer dialog was and decided to do so mockups for its improvement. Here are the list of improvements illustrated in the mockup.
1) Alignment - Correctly align child label/controls under their parents and align input controls together
2) Labels - Change 'Fixed' and 'Footer text:' to 'Text:' and 'Language:' to 'Locale:'
3) Separator - As 'Do not show on the first slide' checkbox is not related to the preview.
4) The 'Slide' tab has the heading 'Include in Slide' and the 'Notes and Handouts' tab has the heading 'Include in page', so one of these need to be changed to correct the case.
5) Was wondering if we should change the 'Apply to All' button to simply 'Apply', as applying header and footer properties to all slides is what is the most common. If so, then we should likely change the 'Apply' button to something like 'Apply to Current Slide'.
These changes would be made both to the 'Slide' and 'Notes and Handouts' tabs.
Glade file - http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/sd/uiconfig/simpress/ui/headerfootertab.ui
6) Format label should be disabled when the variable date and time isnt selected.
Clearly #2. The preview needs alignment - or whitespace. And "Do not show on first page" title and indentation. The HR has no reason, or does it?
'Apply to All' is same confusing as 'Apply to Current'. Better solution would be to start the dialog from different origins, like master = apply to all vs. context menu = apply current. Somehow.
Created attachment 124134 [details]
Prototype Glade file
So, this dialog’s alignment is all messed up because of the abuse of boxes to contain controls that should be hidden or shown dynamically (for example, the box “header_box” whose presence is checked in http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/sd/source/ui/dlg/headerfooterdlg.cxx#399). Instead, the controls themselves should be checked in the code for this purpose.
I’ve attached a modified, simplified .ui file for you to open in Glade and tell me what you think. If you try to load it in LibreOffice, it will crash, because I’ve removed all of the redundant boxes (such as the mentioned “header_box”) and you need to adapt the file headerfooterdlg.cxx accordingly. (Which is an Easy Hack, IMO).
Not an expert in glade like you are adolfo, so if you say its as good as the mockup, i'm fine with it, though i'd change 'Header text:' and 'Footer text:' to just 'Text:'.