Using spelling dictionaries for languages that have no basic locale data in LibreOffice does not work until the user accesses settings for writing aids.
Steps to reproduce:
- Create (an empty) spelling dictionary for language crl (East Cree):
# touch /usr/share/hunspell/crl.aff
# touch /usr/share/hunspell/crl.dic
- Start LibreOffice Writer
- Type in some text, select it and choose Format -> Character
- In the language combobox type the language code "crl" and click OK.
** Observe that there is no red underline under the text even though the
** language has changed to crl and none of the typed words exist in the
** empty spelling dictionary.
- Go to Tools -> Options -> Language Settings -> Writing Aids
- Do not change any settings, just click OK.
** Now the spell checker works and underlines all the typed words.
Expected result: spell checking should work immediately after changing the text language.
The same results can be reproduced using Voikko spell checking extension with real working dictionary so the issue is likely not related to Hunspell or using empty dictionary.
Arch Linux 64-bit, KDE Plasma 5
Build ID: c6d553b5fac93d97cb0d316586db34f4d5a8def1
CPU Threads: 8; OS Version: Linux 4.5; UI Render: default;
Locale: fi-FI (fi_FI.UTF-8)
Built on June 3rd 2016
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 83376 ***