Bug 107316 (Notebookbar-a11y) - [META] Accessibility (a11y) in the Notebookbar
Summary: [META] Accessibility (a11y) in the Notebookbar
Status: NEW
Alias: Notebookbar-a11y
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: UI (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
5.3.2.2 release
Hardware: All All
: high major
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: accessibility
Depends on: 102378 107343 107344 107358 109425 121401 102059
Blocks: a11y Notebookbar
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-04-21 07:26 UTC by Brian H
Modified: 2018-11-15 02:57 UTC (History)
13 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Brian H 2017-04-21 07:26:19 UTC
Not sure about the direction of the Notebookbar. Ie, whether it is designed to be an option to fully replace the menubar for those users who want to choose that (my preference). If it does, keyboard accessibility is required. eg Alt-F for the File ribbon/panel/slab.

Steps to replicate:
Turn on Notebookbar
Turn off Menubar
Press Alt / Alt-F

Nothing happens

Expected:
Keyboard navigation of Notebookbar
Comment 1 V Stuart Foote 2017-04-21 14:38:08 UTC

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 102059 ***
Comment 2 V Stuart Foote 2017-04-21 20:39:42 UTC
@Jay, Syzmon, Samuel, *

Repurposing this rather than reopening bug 102059

We need additional keyboard accelerator navigation. Only supporting the *minimum* F6 cycling with <TAB> movements for keyboard navigation is limiting the MUFFIN interfaces compared to Toolbar and Menus.

We are going to need mnemonic accelerators, and maybe even some assigned shortcuts for the various Notebookbar GUI layout(s) to be comfortable for keyboard and a11y users.

This in addition to finishing up work on bug 90195 an F10 shortcut for unhiding the main menu bar.
Comment 3 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-04-21 22:44:00 UTC
(In reply to V Stuart Foote from comment #2)
> Repurposing this rather than reopening bug 102059

Better to repurpose this as a meta bug for all a11y issue for notebookbar and open up individual issues for various issues that need to be resolved.

> We need additional keyboard accelerator navigation. Only supporting the
> *minimum* F6 cycling with <TAB> movements for keyboard navigation is
> limiting the MUFFIN interfaces compared to Toolbar and Menus.

You seem to be confusing MUFFIN with Notebookbar quite a bit, as we have 4 MUFFIN interfaces (default, single, sidebar, notebookbar) and 3 Notebookbar interfaces (tabbed, single, groups). Of these 7 interfaces, only 1 doesnt have a menu bar - tabbed Notebookbar - so i would assume this issue would be limited to it.

> We are going to need mnemonic accelerators, and maybe even some assigned
> shortcuts for the various Notebookbar GUI layout(s) to be comfortable for
> keyboard and a11y users.

Mnemonic accelerators for the tab? Not sure what you meant by 'shortcuts for the various Notebookbar GUI layout(s)'.

> This in addition to finishing up work on bug 90195 an F10 shortcut for
> unhiding the main menu bar.

I've filed bug 107343 to handle that issue.

(In reply to Brian H from comment #0)
> Steps to replicate:
> Turn on Notebookbar
> Turn off Menubar
> Press Alt / Alt-F

I've filed bug 107344 to deal with the Alt key.
Comment 4 V Stuart Foote 2017-04-21 23:36:53 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf Philips (jay) from comment #3)
> 
> You seem to be confusing MUFFIN with Notebookbar quite a bit, as we have 4
> MUFFIN interfaces (default, single, sidebar, notebookbar) and 3 Notebookbar
> interfaces (tabbed, single, groups). Of these 7 interfaces, only 1 doesnt
> have a menu bar - tabbed Notebookbar - so i would assume this issue would be
> limited to it.

No confusion--MUFFIN is generic to the new Glade UI interfaces extending the GUI--they need to be fully functional for keyboard navigation.
> 
> > We are going to need mnemonic accelerators, and maybe even some assigned
> > shortcuts for the various Notebookbar GUI layout(s) to be comfortable for
> > keyboard and a11y users.
> 
> Mnemonic accelerators for the tab? Not sure what you meant by 'shortcuts for
> the various Notebookbar GUI layout(s)'.
> 

Accelerators are more "dynamic" <Alt> mod-key bound, with l10n auto-assignment frequently used. While short-cuts are more static and use a mix of the mod-keys <Alt>, <Ctrl>, <Shift> and the <Fn> keys.

Shortcuts would be appropriate for some controls in the various Notebookbar configurations, and probably kept consistent with those controls in the other MUFFIN layouts.

When to assign a short-cut rather than an mnemonic accelerator?--flexible but likely just the top level actions across the GUI.
Comment 5 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-04-22 02:20:35 UTC
(In reply to V Stuart Foote from comment #4)
> No confusion--MUFFIN is generic to the new Glade UI interfaces extending the
> GUI--they need to be fully functional for keyboard navigation.

Nope it isnt. MUFFIN is the arrangement presets of UI elements.

https://blog.documentfoundation.org/blog/2016/12/21/the-document-foundation-announces-the-muffin-a-new-tasty-user-interface-concept-for-libreoffice/

> Accelerators are more "dynamic" <Alt> mod-key bound, with l10n
> auto-assignment frequently used. While short-cuts are more static and use a
> mix of the mod-keys <Alt>, <Ctrl>, <Shift> and the <Fn> keys.

Wasnt really asking for an explanation, was looking for what you wanted to have the mnemonic accelerators on?
Comment 6 V Stuart Foote 2018-04-05 12:45:17 UTC
Hey, going to bump this hard. With talk of bringing Notebookbar out of experimental status and claiming it is "finished" for Writer--very clearly it is not yet as accessibility of this MUFFIN development is not up to par with work done on the Sidebar or legacy Toolbars.

Notably bug 109425, but lack of standard shortcuts and mnemonic assignments makes keyboard only navigation through this now experimental GUI troublesome, and unsuitable as AT tools support.
Comment 7 V Stuart Foote 2018-04-17 17:08:32 UTC
With talk of NB coming out of experimental mode for 6.1, sadly all Notebook bar modes remain completely hidden from Assistive Technology tools because they have not been created with associated accessible events.

Navigation into the NB with F6 goes silent to screen readers. It is a black hole for folks working from keyboard without benefit of sight to drive a mouse.

Ctrl+F6 to move focus to document canvas and then F10 (when menu bar is active) is currently the only way for AT dependent users to recover their bearings, not very usable a11y support.