Bug 113012 - UI: Unifying Calc cell context menu entry for cell & clear formatting and paste commands
Summary: UI: Unifying Calc cell context menu entry for cell & clear formatting and pas...
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Calc (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
unspecified
Hardware: All All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: Context-Menu Cell-Management
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-10-09 12:54 UTC by Thomas Lendo
Modified: 2018-11-15 23:25 UTC (History)
6 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:
Regression By:


Attachments
Context menus at Calc cells (104.59 KB, image/png)
2017-10-09 12:54 UTC, Thomas Lendo
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Thomas Lendo 2017-10-09 12:54:00 UTC
Created attachment 136863 [details]
Context menus at Calc cells

As you can see at the attached screenshot, the arrangement of context menu entries at single cell, several cells or cell headers is slightly different what could be enhanced. Some suggestions:

* "Paste Only" submenu is missing in context menus of column and row headers. -- Is there a reason for that? (screenshots in the middle)

* "Paste Special..." is missing in context menu for a single cell and for cells in several rows and columns. -- Is there a reason for that? (left bottom screenshot)

* "Clear Direct Formatting" is missing in context menus of column and row headers and it should have its own section. -- I assume this is desired due to the length of the context menu? But analogous to the missing table caption context menu entry in bug 87590, I think that's a bad idea with false laying weight on "context menu size".

* "Format Cells..." should have its own section in context menus of column and row headers as is has its own section in the other context menus. Also it should be directly positioned below the paste/copy section and "Clear Direct Formatting" entry at the top of the context menu. This would unify the location. I'm searching this command in context menus of column and row headers every time as it's not in the same position at in other context menus.
Comment 1 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-10-12 13:24:36 UTC
(In reply to Thomas Lendo from comment #0)
> * "Paste Only" submenu is missing in context menus of column and row
> headers. -- Is there a reason for that? (screenshots in the middle)

No there isnt a reason i can see why it shouldnt be there.
Here's a patch for that - https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/43339

> * "Paste Special..." is missing in context menu for a single cell and for
> cells in several rows and columns. -- Is there a reason for that? (left
> bottom screenshot)

I see paste special in both scenarios and only dont see it if the paste entry is disabled.

> * "Clear Direct Formatting" is missing in context menus of column and row
> headers and it should have its own section. -- I assume this is desired due
> to the length of the context menu? But analogous to the missing table
> caption context menu entry in bug 87590, I think that's a bad idea with
> false laying weight on "context menu size".

Similar to Writer, it should be moved under a Styles submenu.

> * "Format Cells..." should have its own section in context menus of column
> and row headers as is has its own section in the other context menus.

It is in its own section along with other column/row formatting options, which arent available in the formatting cells dialog.

> Also
> it should be directly positioned below the paste/copy section and "Clear
> Direct Formatting" entry at the top of the context menu. This would unify
> the location. I'm searching this command in context menus of column and row
> headers every time as it's not in the same position at in other context
> menus.

No it shouldn't as the cell management functions are of more priority for row/column context menus. We do the same thing in writer, for a context menu of a bullet list or table.
Comment 2 Eike Rathke 2017-10-17 12:00:40 UTC
I already commented this in https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/43339 but want to repeat here for broader discussion:

To me already the Paste and Paste Special commands don't make sense there, because on column/row headers the entire column or row is selected and pasting cells repeats all over the selected range. Do we really want to add more of this?

To which Yousuf replied:
"If you copied a row and wanted to paste it into another row, its easy to select the row you want to paste into and use the paste context menu entry. The paste only options gives you the ability to specify which type of data you want to paste into the row."

Again, the paste entries on an entirely selected column/row (which automatically happens when opening the context menu on a column/row header) make sense only if previously an entire column/row was copied, otherwise the paste leads to unexpected results repeating the copied cells until all the selection is filled. The paste entries on the column/row header context menu should not be unconditionally enabled.
Comment 3 Cor Nouws 2017-10-17 15:27:51 UTC
Hi Eike,

(In reply to Eike Rathke from comment #2)
> To me already the Paste and Paste Special commands don't make sense there,
> because on column/row headers the entire column or row is selected and
> pasting cells repeats all over the selected range. Do we really want to add
> more of this?

The idea sounds like: I have a column with content X / formatting Y and I want to paste to another column only values, or text, or...
Thus: how realistic is that?

For me, that use case is non-existent. Simply because I use Ctrl+Shft+Arrows to make a sensible selection before any copy&paste.

However, looking at my classes, there are many users that can hardly find e.g. pag-up/down, or home, but click everywhere. Maybe Jay's idea is to make Paste as text/... visible to those category?
Comment 4 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-10-17 15:55:47 UTC
(In reply to Eike Rathke from comment #2)
> Again, the paste entries on an entirely selected column/row (which
> automatically happens when opening the context menu on a column/row header)
> make sense only if previously an entire column/row was copied, otherwise the
> paste leads to unexpected results repeating the copied cells until all the
> selection is filled. The paste entries on the column/row header context menu
> should not be unconditionally enabled.

So are you planning to create new paste UNO commands to replace .uno:Paste and .uno:PasteSpecial in the column/row headers that only work if a column/row was previously cut or copied. My patch simply adds the Paste Only submenu which save users from opening the Paste Special dialog to do the exact same thing.

(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #3)
> The idea sounds like: I have a column with content X / formatting Y and I
> want to paste to another column only values, or text, or...
> Thus: how realistic is that?
> 
> For me, that use case is non-existent. Simply because I use Ctrl+Shft+Arrows
> to make a sensible selection before any copy&paste.

So then you are for removing the paste special from the row/column header context menus, as it provides the same features in the Paste Only submenu and more.

> However, looking at my classes, there are many users that can hardly find
> e.g. pag-up/down, or home, but click everywhere. Maybe Jay's idea is to make
> Paste as text/... visible to those category?

It is visible in the paste special dialog and is present in most context menus, so Thomas has suggested that we unify the first group of clipboard entries, which i dont see a problem doing.
Comment 5 Thomas Lendo 2017-11-07 23:01:43 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf Philips (jay) from comment #1)
> (In reply to Thomas Lendo from comment #0)
> > * "Clear Direct Formatting" is missing in context menus of column and row
> > headers and it should have its own section. -- I assume this is desired due
> > to the length of the context menu? But analogous to the missing table
> > caption context menu entry in bug 87590, I think that's a bad idea with
> > false laying weight on "context menu size".
> 
> Similar to Writer, it should be moved under a Styles submenu.
Okay, but before that's realized I would add that to the normal context menu too. I see no reason to don't have it in.

(In reply to Eike Rathke from comment #2)
> To me already the Paste and Paste Special commands don't make sense there,
> because on column/row headers the entire column or row is selected and
> pasting cells repeats all over the selected range. Do we really want to add
> more of this?
I only want to unify the menu as I'm upset every time I use the different context menus that show different entries although personally I think there should no difference between the context menus.

As cut, copy, paste are the standard entries in almost all context menus, I wouldn't delete it even if we don't know a use case for it.

I personally don't use a command to a whole row/column and if I would use keyboard shortcuts. But others use context menus and they use commands to whole rows/columns. Therefore I wouldn't delete these entries hastily.

> Again, the paste entries on an entirely selected column/row (which
> automatically happens when opening the context menu on a column/row header)
> make sense only if previously an entire column/row was copied, otherwise the
> paste leads to unexpected results repeating the copied cells until all the
> selection is filled.
Why leads that to unexpected results? A user can copy a single cell and paste it into a whole row. That works also with more cells.
Comment 6 Xisco Faulí 2018-02-13 11:33:25 UTC
Dear Yousuf Philips (jay),
This bug has been in ASSIGNED status for more than 3 months without any
activity. Resetting it to NEW.
Please assigned it back to yourself if you're still working on this.
Comment 7 andreas_k 2018-11-15 23:25:16 UTC
will be fixed in 6.2