Using the official LibreOffice-6.0.6 32-bit Linux builds from
www.libreoffice.org, Draw fails to start with this message:
Error: Component cannot be loaded, possibly broken or incomplete
installation. Full error message: loading component library
Impress also fails to start, but with no error message.
This occurs on distributions such as Slackware Linux, which do not include Avahi.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. libreoffice6.0 --draw
2. libreoffice6.0 --impress
Draw fails to start, and exits with error message.
Impress fails to start, and just hangs forever with no window and no message.
User Profile Reset: No
The cause is a newly introduced dependency of the Linux builds on Avahi (libavahi). The change to LibreOfficeLinux.conf was made 2018-05-19 and does not seem to be linked to a specific bug report nor documented in the release notes.
Here are 3 suggested ways to address this, from most desirable to least:
1. Change Draw and Impress to automatically detect availability of Avahi at runtime. If the library cannot be loaded, disable the remote-control feature in Impress, which seems to be the only use for Avahi. Draw does not seem to need Avahi for any function.
2. Revert the change and distribute Linux binaries that do not require Avahi and do not have the remote control Impress feature. Note that lack of support in Linux builds is documented in https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/HowTo/Impress_Remote_%28iOS%29
3. Document Avahi as a required external dependency of the distributed Linux builds. Users of Linux distributions without Avahi will have to use builds from elsewhere.
A new major release of LibreOffice is available since this bug was reported.
Could you please try to reproduce it with the latest version of LibreOffice
from https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/ ?
I have set the bug's status to 'NEEDINFO'. Please change it back to
'UNCONFIRMED' if the bug is still present in the latest version.
CONFIRMED still a bug in 6.1.4
Status changed back to UNCONFIRMED as requested.
*** Bug 121846 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Confirmed with duplicate bug
Solved installing Avahi
To make sure we're focusing on the bugs that affect our users today, LibreOffice QA is asking bug reporters and confirmers to retest open, confirmed bugs which have not been touched for over a year.
There have been thousands of bug fixes and commits since anyone checked on this bug report. During that time, it's possible that the bug has been fixed, or the details of the problem have changed. We'd really appreciate your help in getting confirmation that the bug is still present.
If you have time, please do the following:
Test to see if the bug is still present with the latest version of LibreOffice from https://www.libreoffice.org/download/
If the bug is present, please leave a comment that includes the information from Help - About LibreOffice.
If the bug is NOT present, please set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED-WORKSFORME and leave a comment that includes the information from Help - About LibreOffice.
Please DO NOT
Update the version field
Reply via email (please reply directly on the bug tracker)
Set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED - FIXED (this status has a particular meaning that is not
appropriate in this case)
If you want to do more to help you can test to see if your issue is a REGRESSION. To do so:
1. Download and install oldest version of LibreOffice (usually 3.3 unless your bug pertains to a feature added after 3.3) from https://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/
2. Test your bug
3. Leave a comment with your results.
4a. If the bug was present with 3.3 - set version to 'inherited from OOo';
4b. If the bug was not present in 3.3 - add 'regression' to keyword
Feel free to come ask questions or to say hello in our QA chat: https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.freenode.net/#libreoffice-qa
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!
Confirmed bug still exists. Draw will not start (with non-helpful error message) if Avahi is not present, even though Draw does not use Avahi. Impress will not start (with no message at all) if Avahi is not present. Avahi is apparently only used for remote control of Impress. Avahi should be conditionally loaded, only if needed.
From Help > About:
Build ID: 639b8ac485750d5696d7590a72ef1b496725cfb5
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 5.10; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI-Language: en-US