When deleting a formatting (Paragraph or Character or any other) it can be really useful if there was an Alert in case the Formatting is currently in use in some part of the document. With maybe a button to jump to that place.
Right now this can be done by searching for a particular formatting using the search tool and verifying if it is in use somewhere.
Hence this feature is only a enhancement
Currently the formatting is simply deleted
User is alerted when deleting a formatting that it is already in use.
User Profile Reset: No
Do you mean "styles"? If so, did you search in existing bugs? Looks like a duplicate.
Or do you mean bug 81467?
OK i have checked for some use cases. bug 81467 refers to conditional formatting in Excel. I don't know if the two are related.
I just observed that Libreoffice DOES give an alert when deleting formatting which is directly applied.
This bug refers to, when a Character Style formatting is applied in Drop-Caps and then this character Style is deleted. I have edited the Summary to make the Problem more clear.
Please write exact reproducible steps (including how you delete the style) and attach a sample document.
Steps to reproduce
1. Open Test.odt
2. The first paragraph has Paragraph Formatting - "Standard" with "DropCaps" activated. The "Drop Caps" has Character formatting set to "Test_Character_Style".
3. Delete the character format (Right Click -> Delete) - > Test_Character_Style. (The "Drop Caps" T loses its formatting)
# Bug No.1 -> No alert when deleting Character formatting
4. Undo this deletion using Edit->Undo or Ctrl+Z
# Bug No.2 -> The "DropCaps" Character formatting is not undone.
5. Right click on Paragraph Format "Standard" -> Edit
# Bug No.3 -> LibreOffice Writer crashes.
Created attachment 149078 [details]
I do not repro point 3. that the "Drop Caps" T loses its formatting on character style delete (which would be correct behavior).
Nithin, can you please confirm? If so, that should be reported separately.
But I do repro (test in Windows):
- No alert for style in use when deleting custom Character Style used in "Drop Caps" (inherited from OO)
- The "Drop Caps" Character formatting is not restored on delete undo (inherited from OO, seen with older LO where there's no crash)
- Writer crashes on right click - Paragraph or Format - Paragraph (not in OO and LO 6.0, newer bug repro in 6.1 and 6.3+)
Crash report is at crashreport.libreoffice.org/stats/crash_details/ffdd08a3-651b-43df-bf22-0ea58c87d5ce.
Very nice that we have repro steps and I'll report separately.
Yes i confirm that it indeed loses its formatting on a Linux as well now. Can you check if you have the font in Test_Character_Style installed on your system. I think its Linux Biolinum. For me I can at least see that its changing from Bold to normal, when i delete the character style. even though I dont have this font on my current system.
OK, "Drop Caps" T really loses its formatting on character style delete. Drop Caps remains (I didn't notice change). No bug there.
So we have two bugs: this bug "No alert on delete" and "not restored on delete undo" that may wait until this one is resolved (which may take a long time). Third bug "crash on Paragraph" is fixed.